cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

obsidinyan
Adept II
Adept II

Is anyone else getting a random black screen while gaming and/or watching streams/video ? r9 380 series

At random times my screen turns black and an irrecoverable crash would occur. The only way to deal with is is to restart the pc.

This happens with all of the recent new drivers, the only exception seems to be the 15.11 beta drivers for me.

15.11 seems to be the most stable and doesn't crash my pc, not even once.

I always use DDU in safe mode to uninstall drivers and my IGPU is automatically disabled when there's a physical card in my machine.

This issue has been brought up before but no one had  an answer to it.

my specs-

i3-4170

r9 380

8 GB ram

650W 80+ bronze psu

0 Kudos
16 Replies
obsidinyan
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Is anyone else getting a random black screen while gaming and/or watching streams/video ? r9 380 series

Are there any other drivers that are known to be stable besides 15.11 beta? Preferably crimson drivers.

0 Kudos
driverlulz
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Is anyone else getting a random black screen while gaming and/or watching streams/video ? r9 380 series

Yep.  Just rage quit witcher 3 because for the third time within 20 minutes I get a black screen then booted to desktop with a Radeon has quit working error.  GPU stuck at full clock and load 100%.  Requires PC restart.  Damn frustrating I tell you that.  RX480.

0 Kudos
vonchen
Miniboss
Miniboss

From first version of Crimson to 16.7.2 should be stable , while I am still using 7850(it died though last month).

If you want to try, try 16.7.2.

0 Kudos
froxzty
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same problem it happens while playing games, but also watching videos online (YouTube, Netflix and Twitch),

it stays off for a few seconds before coming back, and then it usually does a couple of times more a short while after, closing the game or browser seems to make the problem go away.

Crimson version 16.6 running on Windows 10

My specs:

i7-4820k

6GB Ram

R9 290 4 GB

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

what version of windows and build are you using?

0 Kudos
obsidinyan
Adept II
Adept II

windows 10 home 64 bit anniversary update.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

The usual remedy is to disable hardware acceleration in the browser, and/or, in the case of some videos, right click on the video and disable hardware acceleration.

0 Kudos
vonchen
Miniboss
Miniboss

Did you try 16.7.2? does the issue still persist?

0 Kudos
obsidinyan
Adept II
Adept II

The 16.7.2 still crashes my system but not as often as the newer drivers did. That said, i'm still sticking to the 15.11 beta until they come up with more stable drivers.

From what i've heard, it's the fluctuating memory clocks that cause the crashing.

i'm not gonna try and "fix" it my self, because i really don't know any better.

Still if anyone's interested, read R9 380 black screen crash FIXED at last by fixing/locking the gpu clock

0 Kudos