cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

alastair_s1d
Journeyman III

Is AMD hurting enthusiasts with driver updates.

Is AMD hurting the performance of enthusiasts and over clockers? 

I have been a satisfied AMD user since 2004. I have owned AMD CPUs dating back to the Athlon 64 days and I have owned their GPUs since HD5xxx. 

I ask this because I have been a pretty happy owner of a Vega 64 for a little while. I have it under a full cover waterblock in a custom loop. So I have removed pretty much any and all thermal limitations that might exist with this GPU.

So I decided to try my hand at overclocking this beast. I quickly learnt that AMD had locked us out of any voltage adjustments. I was angered by this but quickly learnt that the Liquid Vega 64 BIOS supplies more voltage to the core and HBM. So I was happy. I flashed the card and have been happy ever since. Well that was until AMD dropped the Radeon VII and the 19.2 and newer drivers. As myself and many other Vega enthusiasts using the LC bios learned to their dismay was that the newer drivers were throttling their LC flashed cards HARD. Causing massive stutters. OK cool they screwed up a driver. No problem. Maybe it will be fixed with the next update? Well here we are with 19.10 drivers and our cards are still falling on their faces. And there are no signs that this will get fixed. And I think it's an effort to block owners who have upgraded their 56s and 64s cooling, and are using beefed up LC bios to overclock their cards. They are blocking them because they want them to move on to their next product quicker. Why would I say that?

Well this isn't the first time a driver update that has hurt the performance on an AMD ex-flagship. I owned 2x Furys. I unlocked them to 60CUs each and for 3 and a bit years they served me well. I ran them at 1150MHz core and 545HBM. Eventually with tinkering I got them to run 600MHz HBM. BUT lo and behold launch day for Vega and pretty soon a new driver comes around and it blocked HBM overclocking on Fiji based cards. AMD claimed there was a significant change to their drivers with wattman coming into the picture etc, that it rendered previous ways of overclocking obsolete and unusable. Fair enough. We ended up being beta testers for HBM anyway. I think those of us buying Fury probably knew they weren't going to get much out of a 4GB card but we somehow bought we in anyway. So OK. Old cards. Using old methods of overclocking. With Vega we had this new boost clock system and stuff and I can see how that MIGHT render OC on Fiji unworkable? But whatever. Move on to Vega. And a lot of enthusiastic owners were upgrading their Vegas with better cooling. Morpheous, AIOs and custom water blocks. We knew that we could get more performance from this cooling by using the LC bios. Now that Radeon VII has come around and it has broken that for us guys using the LC bios on their ex flagship Cards. Now once you can call it an error or fluke. BUT Twice now that the performance of a flagship has been hurt after the release of a new flagship. This cant be a coincidence?

AMD claims to love enthusiasts and over clockers. They claim to love the people who push their hardware to the limits of performance and stability. But here we are. With a driver that prevents Vega owners from unleashing the true potential of their cards. Cards they forked out loads of cash for. I'm really not feeling the love. I feel at this point the are pulling an nvidia / apple and damaging the performance of their previous flagships with updates to get you to move on quicker. And it's succeeded (just not in the way they hoped) because now I am looking for a used V64 LC edition so that I can go back to overclocking and tweaking without throttling. 

There are a lot of threads that describe this issue. Has ANYONE found a solution? Because on OCN I have not been able to find any help with this. And alot of people have not either?

I attached 2 pictures of AB graphs. One is an air bios showing very stable clocks during timespy GT1. The other the LC bios on 19.9.2 showing excessive fluctuations. Thermals are good. 45-50C core. Hot spot in the 70s. HBM clocks right down to 500 in some cases

0 Likes
6 Replies

Ryzen processors have been more finicky for memory than back with the Socket AM2 or Socket AMD3 period.

Part of the problem is that vendors are away from the JEDEC standard which spans to DDR4-3200 as of last revision.

G.Skill does not have any JEDEC compliant memory at DDR4-3200

Corsair has not got back to be yet

0 Likes

I feel that on the cpu front AMD is definitely delivering to enthusiasts. The only thing I don't like about the current ryzen stuff is how they don't really seem to overclock. Which is one of the reasons I have stuck with my 8370 for now. Because I can still overclock it and mess around with it. 

My focus is more on the Graphics side of things. 

I have now experienced AMD/RTG hurt the overclocking capabilities on two of their ex flagship products with driver updates. Once on Fiji with the release of Vega and the removal of HBM overclocking through drivers. And now with Vega and the release of VII and the breaking of the LC edition BIOS on normal 56s and 64s and I feel there isn't enough noise being generated about this. Everybody is quick to jump down nvidias throat when a driver costs them 3% in frames but AMD Completely destroys overclocking for their flagship cards and no one is making noise about it. 

0 Likes

The Vega 64 card was expensive at launch but it has softened since. The Vega 56 is more reasonably priced.

0 Likes

Yes and what does that have to do with AMD breaking HBM overclocking on Fiji based cards with driver 17.1.1

what does that have to do with AMD blocking flashing vega56/64 with the Vega 64 LC bios since 19.2.1?

What does that have to do with Raadeon VII overclocking being broken since 19.8.1.

All of these have something in common. All of these at some point were FLAGSHIP products. The best that AMD had to offer and people have forked out good money for them.

All of these were all broken at the release of a NEW flagship product.

AMD is becoming NVidia and breaking their old cards.

0 Likes

I have not had problems with my video cards.

EVGA cards are durable as are Sapphire.

The dual fan design is great for noise and modern designs are even better.

0 Likes
alastair_s1d
Journeyman III

Again what does EVGA or sapphire dual fan designs got to do with AMD breaking overclocking in Fiji, Vega and now VII with driver updates? What does that have to do with the discussion at hand nothing. I'm not interested in sapphire or EVGA dual fan what what. I use a custom loop. I don't bugger around. I want all the OC headroom I can get my grubby hands on. And when AMD takes that away from me with driver updates THREE FREAKING TIMES IN A ROW. Then I get mad.

Cause what I haven't added to the discussion is that Radeon VII OC has been broken since 19.8.1. Oh what a coincidence. That's right around the time Navi came on the scene! A pattern emerges people.!

0 Likes