cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ishaan
Newcomer

Is 84C normal for RX 460?

I have an RX 460 4GB. After playing 5 minutes of Fallout 4 or Just cause 4 my card reaches a temperature of 84C. I have the single fan version of the card and it is without the 6 pin connector. Is this a driver issue? My case is a carbide 100R with two fans so airflow is not a problem.

0 Likes
5 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

This is not normal. The fan on the GPU may not be working properly. With WattMan, the fan settings may not be set properly. There may be thermal paste problem. Speed up the fan with WattMan, if the problem persists, replace the thermal paste or send it to the warranty.

0 Likes

I have already tried changing thermal paste. I used z9 thermal paste by deepcool. The temps are same as they were before. Also I have already used my warranty before applying thermal paste.

0 Likes

For Polaris 84 degrees is high and close to limits. I think there is a problem of contact between GPU and heatsink on the graphics card. Because some cards have this problem chronically.

0 Likes

GPU-Z shows a temperature target of 70C but my card does not throttle at 84. That is weird for me. I will check the heatsink contact.

0 Likes

You're right. The driver prevents the graphics card from exceeding 84. Additionally, you may experience the FPS drop problem. I hope you can solve the contact problem. There are manufacturers who do not use strong arcs for GPU connectivity but this problem seems as if there is no contact at all.

0 Likes