Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SamuelFisher
Journeyman III

Intermittent USB 2.0 connection on AGESA 1.2.0.3b

Hello everyone!

I've been experiencing glitches and intermittent USB 2.0 connection on my GIGABYTE B550M DS3H motherboard running Ryzen 7 5800x while being on the latest UEFI BIOS version - AGESA 1.2.0.3b.

I am using Windows 10 (21H1 I believe, latest updates) and ubuntu 20.04.

I previously had the USEFI BIOS to F13g dated 03/25/2021 (not sure which AGESA that is, but I do believe it was 1.2.0.2) and I have experienced USB 2.0 glitches, as was clear from my keyboard either becoming unresponsive or spamming keys, or the mouse being flaky and getting stuck. Windows didn't do USB device plug-in/plug-out sounds when this was happening.

I have reflashed bios to the latest AGESA 1.2.0.3b and is supposed to have a fix for the USB issue, but it didn't solve the problem. USB 2.0 keeps glitching and disconnecting and none of the troubleshooting online helps (disabling C-states, setting PCIe to 3.0, etc, none of that helped). I have the newest chipset driver installed, and that didn't help either.

I've also checked if this happens on ubuntu, and it does, but only if I boot from the top M.2 (which is I believe is the PCIe 4.0 one). Windows 10 has these USB 2.0 glitches regardless of where it's plugged in, however.

The problem seems to be solely isolated to USB 2.0 on a chipset, since every single USB 3.2 on the back of the motherboard (those on a CPU) work fine.

Do any of you still have this problem on the newest AGESA 1.2.0.3b?

If you found the solution, then what were the steps?

Thanks. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
metala84
Journeyman III

MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi with Ryzen 5600X.

My USB problems began with AGESA 1.2.0.2... which was supposed "to fix the issue".
Months later, I still have intermittent "micro"disconnects even after AGESA 1.2.0.3b and the latest Chipset drivers.

I am using the front panel USB 3.1 for PC VR Gaming and it disconnects randomly for miliseconds enough to kick me out of VR. I need to "reconnect" to Oculus Link manually just to be kicked a few minutes later again. It makes VR unplayable.

I tried with different cables, ports, even changed my PC case, so the front panel connection shouldn't be a problem.

So far I didn't have problems with other USB devices.

0 Likes

So, USB 3.1 Headers glitching as well? That's interesting...

I was connecting my devices strictly to the mobo, as I don't use front panel connectors (not that I even have any to begin with).

The strangest thing is that it really didn't like my keyboard plugged into usb 2.0  (specifically, kv-300h, which also has a usb 2.0 hub). It worked fine on 3.0 and up.

Mouse didn't have as much issues on that mobo, but it was stuttering sometimes.

The glitching was also present in ubuntu, not just windows. It's really hard to determine if it's a hardware failure on the mobo, or middleware (BIOS and AGESA) because it is so close to hardware here it's actually tough to tell such errors apart.

I ended up sending the mobo to service (twice, because at first they tried to assure me everything is fine) and the conclusion was indeed an intermittent USB defect (which they stated happened every 2 hours, but I assure you it happened more way often than that).

However, service didn't state what was the cause of the defect, as they themselves probably don't really know what happened.

In the end, the mobo I had was deemed defective and allowed for RMA, so I managed to return it.

0 Likes