cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mlrs
Adept III

Intel / AMD Switchable Graphics BSOD on Windows 10 !

Computer:        Dell Inspiron 5547

GPU 1:              Intel HD Graphics Family

GPU 2:              AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB

Issue:               Switchable Graphics not working and my laptop results in BSOD "Thread Stuck In Device Driver" ;

even,  i took my laptop to repair center, but AMD GPU hardware is fine; just some dust was

serviced/removed. I think AMD driver is creating problems ? 

Link:            Support for Inspiron 5547 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Pakistan       

I installed the both drivers from above Dell Support Page for my system, but, still got BSOD! 

Can anyone give suggestion/solution to which Windows version should i install and use which Intel and AMD driver versions ?

kingfishpokesterelstaci‌ 

0 Likes
19 Replies

Here is how to install AMD Drivers in a laptop: Laptop graphics update...How to 

Here how to make your Dell Laptop switchable: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017#SGApplication 

I would also update your Laptop BIOS to the latest version A13 which DELL considers to be Urgent update.

Also make sure your Intel Integrated Graphics driver for your Intel APU is the latest for the AMD driver to work properly:

This is the latest AMD Generic Laptop driver for your AMD GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-... 

The Release notes and also to download driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-10-2 

This User at DELL Forum gives some very good instructions on how to install AMD and Intel Graphics Drivers: Solved: Success Story with getting switchable graphics to work on Windows 10 with an Inspiron 15r se... 

First: I would download the DELL AMD and INTEL Drivers from DELL SUPPORT and also the latest AMD Driver from AMD Support. Also make sure your Windows is completely updated via Windows Update. AMD Drivers requires the latest Windows Update to work correctly.

Second:I would install the latest Intel APU Driver for your Intel Processor ( you can use your Laptop own Driver updater or use Intel Driver & Support Asst to update all of your Laptop's Intel Drivers) . Then I would uninstall the current AMD Driver for the R7 using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode with the Internet disconnected plus delete C:\AMD Folder if you see it in the Root Directory. When DDU finishes and reboots back into the Windows Desktop, With the Internet still disconnected, Install first the DELL AMD Driver. Once it is installs successfully, connect the Internet again and delete from the Root Directory C:\AMD Folder. See if your problem is fixed.

Third: If it is working correctly you can leave it as it is but if you still are having problems with BSOD then again using DDU remove the DELL AMD Driver and install the AMD Driver from AMD Support. As per above instructions and see if it works correctly.

Fourth: you can update the DELL BIOS to the latest version and see if that helps with your BSOD. 

Read how to update your laptop which is similar to what I mentioned and how to configure your DELL laptop to be switchable.

Okay, bro, Intel Driver Support Assistant says my driver is updated. But I found my intel driver as 4400 hd graphics, so should I install 15.4 version from link below ?

Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4400 

0 Likes

First Install the one from DELL since it is customized for your laptop and see if it fixes your problem.

If not than install the Intel Driver from Intel Support and see if it will install on your Laptop.

It seems to be the correct Intel Driver for your APU because the DELL driver says it is also for the HD4400 Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics Family Driver | Driver Details | Dell Pakistan 

Before installing the Intel Driver from Intel make sure you have one of the following Intel Processors in your computer: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]  (From Intel Download page for your Intel Driver from Intel Support).

0 Likes

switchable graphics have long been problematic, the idea was flawed from the start

use the discrete video and disable the ondie video

0 Likes

My GPU 0: Intel is the integrated 

&

My GPU 1: AMD is the dedicated 

right? 

But, if i disable my GPU0, how can i run anything, since my GPU1 leads to BSOD when "Enabled" .....!

0 Likes

do you have radeon drivers for the AMD graphics? you may need to boot to safe mode and use DDU to clean up the mess

Yes, I know that, I 'll clean up AMD drivers using DDU in safe mode....

0 Likes

mlrs wrote:

Yes, I know that, I 'll clean up AMD drivers using DDU in safe mode....

clean up the intel drivers as well and like I said, set the BIOS to use only the discrete graphics

0 Likes

According this previous DELL Forum thread you shouldn't disable the Intel Integrated Graphics since that is what powers the Laptop's video screen: How to switch main graphics to be AMD instead of Intel graphics card on Inspiron 5559 windows 8.1? -... 

Figures Dell would swerve from the normal way hardware is setup. No Dell machines will ever find their way into my studio due to their practices.

Lenovo gives users a choice in the BIOS, same with my X570 with my R5 2400G on it, I have a choice to use the Vega 11 or the RX 480 etc

0 Likes

Granted that was old old thread. But the Dell laptop mentioned is close to the same type of Dell the OP is using. Plus on other Dell threads it mentions something similar.

On a Desktop is quite different from a laptop. I know it is possible to disable the Desktop APU on a PC. Simply because the Desktop APU uses the Motherboard's Video outputs while the GPU Card has it own video outputs. Thus you can safely disable the APU integrated graphics (motherboard video outputs) and just use the GPU Cards video outputs.

but I always was under the impression with Laptops that the Laptop APU must be enabled at all times since it is engineered to work with the Discrete Laptop GPU card. Plus there is only one common Video output from the motherboard for both.

This is just my opinion from reading about laptop graphics. I could be wrong since technology advances each day. Maybe in the latest Laptop's you can disable the Integrated graphics without affecting the laptop's video.

0 Likes

All I know is that Microsoft's forums are chock full of issues with dual graphics. If a rig has dual graphics it seems that inevitably there are problems.

Some of my Lenovo machines have discrete graphics and like I said...... The Lenovo forum is also full of problems with dual graphics.

0 Likes

What you are saying is correct. All you have to do is search here at AMD Forums, as an example, and you will see a huge amount of Users complaining about Laptop Switchable Graphics not working correctly.

In general, It is a good concept. That way it saves on Battery power usage (Integrated Graphics mainly used) when the laptop is not plugged in. Plus you have using something similar to Crossfire in a laptop.

0 Likes

I have Vega 11 on my R5 2400G and 36CU of GCN 4 on my RX 480, I have my BIOS disable the Vega 11 completely in favor of the PEG card

this mode reduces my CPU power to 45W making it a good value when a discrete card is available.

0 Likes

Why do have a need to disable the Desktop APU integrated Graphics? 

Once you in stall the GPU card in a PC, The PC's BIOS will automatically make the GPU card the Main Graphics Adapter for booting up and using in Windows.

That way, if the GPU card should go bad, you can remove it and automatically have Video output from the motherboard through the APU integrated Graphics.

Unless you want to free up to 2 gbytes of RAM Memory assigned to the Integrated Graphics.

0 Likes

my rx 480 is 8GB so its far beyond the integrated graphics by more than 4 fold

I have looked closely at this and the best solution is to install a second card if needed.

The X570 motherboard I have is not intended for dual cards but it can manage, I was more of intending to look at a vega 56 or vega 64 card if needed

0 Likes
mlrs
Adept III

So I tried all the methods but either AMD driver installation freezes or in any case I get the BSOD. 

Now, I heard about Driver Updater softwares, like Driver Talent, DriverEasy etc.

Can anybody guide me which software and version is worth trying? 

Thanks....(fingers crossed)

0 Likes

None. Those generic Driver Updater sometimes installs the wrong driver and may not come with the full driver package.

The ones to use are either from the manufacturer of the Hardware like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc or use the Laptop's own specific DELL Updater to update the drivers.

All those that you mentioned, you never know if the Drivers being installed it compatible with your computer or system.

What specific errors are you getting when it BSODs?

Try going to DELL Diagnostics page for your laptop and run its Diagnostic program to rule out any defective Laptop hardware from here: Support for Inspiron 5547 | Diagnostics | Dell Pakistan 

Upload any Dump files generated from Windows folder or run DIAGDX.exe and upload the file. That is helpful in seeing what files are having issues.

0 Likes

Just getting the following BSODs:

"Thread Stuck in Device Driver"

otherwise

"Tdr Failure"

"atimpag.sys" or "atimdag.sys"

0 Likes