cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

djtheraven
Journeyman III

Installing New Raid driver 9.3.0.00167 breaks S.M.A.R.T. polling.

All smart data is not readable after installation of new driver. If I roll back to previous driver 9.3.0.38 everything works again after reboot, shutdown and restart.

36 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

are you running latest "RAID EXPERT" software app with "administrator rights"? perhaps you'd not given it admin permissions..

also if its just reading the smart info off the drives i believe a number of different apps can possibly perform that. try the drive software from your drive vendor maybe ATADA SSD tools might do it? or was it samsung magician? 

*edit sorry got the name of AMD raid software app confused

0 Likes
djtheraven
Journeyman III

The apps stop showing s.m.a.r.t. data after new driver install. I never had a problem before. Like the post says if i roll back drivers everything works perfect. There must be a bug in latest software.

I got the exact same issue, but reverting back to the older driver didn't fix it.

X470 chipset, 2 x 8TB RAID0 array.

Any help?

0 Likes
gxcare
Adept I

Bad news, the problem is still present in latest 9.3.0.206 version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost all other drive and SSD and NVME storage tools and software i'd seen had mentioned about SMART monitoring logs and data being some sort of vulnerability where criminals could somehow predict or determine drive data or "used bits" or some sort of recovery index from the information so its advanced smart reporting features had since been disabled and only some tools may offer very limited functionality if it works at all now. Theres some chance you may not find verbose SMART data logs and reports and monitoring. Some tools previously let you download and view all SMART data. to me its all just hex and ones and zeroes everywhere so i've always ignored such features but to smelly criminals its gold. So no matter how hard you cry i dont think what you want like how it used to be will ever be the same way.

0 Likes

This simply does not make sense: I can read all the SMART data of the NVME that is not connected through the AMD RAID controller. It is just the driver that is buggy, as it has been stated multiple times.

Reading SMART data is essential to monitor the drive life status, its temperature and a lot of other useful data. It is possible only with administrative privileges and that fact that you don't understand it does not mean that it is not a valuable tool.

I am IT professional, I know what I am talking about and I am not crying, I am just complaining about a buggy driver.

vhalko
Journeyman III

it's definitely something broken .. I'm enabling the SMART polling in the RAIDXpert2 windows app and in the next restart it's disabled again and of course I'm not getting any SMART readings, even when it states that it is enabled.

0 Likes
SativaPancake
Journeyman III

This is happening to me too in a different way.  Had a x470 system with NVMe drives and a StoreMI HDD with SSD cache and SMART info was working fine on all my drives - even the joined StoreMI drives were separately show (HWinfo64) with all SMART info. I could see temps and all the other info. Get my x570 Ryzen 5000 build up and running with new drives and some from the x470 system (with know working SMART info displayed) and now all SMART info is missing. HWinfo64 debug file clearly shows Read SMART Failed on all drives. I know the drives support it. And Ive seen AMD Ryzen systems even with StoreMI showing SMART info, but now the latest drivers and chipsets - whatever AMD has done - is not allowing any SMART info. Hope they can make an update soon to correct this. I have a brand new build with expensive drives that im not sure if they are running hot or keep having read errors (I doubt they are, but still)

0 Likes
jones612
Adept I

FYI: Hard Disk Sentinel latest version 5.70 can detect and display all S.M.A.R.T. information about SATA hard disks / SSDs even with the latest 9.3 AMD RAID drivers or 9.4 StoreMI drivers.

Please refer to:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/revision.php

- improved detection of SATA hard disks / SSDs with AMD Bottom RAID controller driver 9.3
- improved detection of SATA hard disks / SSDs with AMD StoreMI 2.0 driver 9.4

Still no info for NVMe SSDs but at least the complete status and S.M.A.R.T. info for all SATA hard disks and SSDs are displayed with these drivers too.

0 Likes

Any chance this can be fixed as its still broken in the latest driver ? cant even disable and re enable it will still be disabled, i sometimes just wanna see remaining life left or current drive temps, i have no way of doing that right now and its annoying

0 Likes

does AMD even read these forums ? is there a place where can directly report issues ?

0 Likes

Hello ?

0 Likes

What do you prefer to disable?

As I wrote, Hard Disk Sentinel 5.70 can detect and read the temperatures and health/lifetime information (all S.M.A.R.T. data) about SATA hard disks / SSDs with no problems.

I'm using driver 9.3.0.206 and works like a charm for SATA drives in RAID and standalone config ....

0 Likes

hardware sentinel is annoying app that changes things without permision i wont install that, and i do not trust it, i usually use crystaldiskinfo or hwinfo64 im currently back on older raid drivers for now.

0 Likes

It does not change anything, except the disk icons to reflect the disk health in Explorer but it can be easily disabled on Configuration -> Disk Control page. It does not change/modify any settings - especially if you use the portable version.

As HDS has far better support of RAIDs / disks / controllers than anything else (you can see this as example) I see no reason of using other tools, but maybe one day they can be as powerful too - if Sentinal shows that it's possible

You wrote that you want to see the stats - at least there is something which can do it.

0 Likes

Good to know it allows that but AMD should still fix there drivers and not push me towards something that cost money potentially to solve their issue.

0 Likes

I'm sure HDS is independent from AMD....

You can download the portable version, launch when required to check the health/temperature/lifetime status and then close it (this is what I do too).

No need to order/pay anything: even in free/trial mode it displays all SMART details.

0 Likes

Anyway, I completely agree that there should be even newer, better drivers from AMD which can allow us to check/monitor NVMe SSDs too

0 Likes

So does AMD even read these forums or this never gonna get fixed ?

0 Likes

New driver came out 25 may and it did not fix the issue for info, AMD are you reading feedback or this just a wall where everything is ignored ?

0 Likes

Im sorry for bumping this over and over but i do not like being ignored by AMD

0 Likes
cangming
Adept I

9.3.0-00206 is still broken nvme smart info.

It's seems that the problem is so difficult for amd firmware engineers.

0 Likes

As my NVME raid 0 performance is inconsitent lately, I would love to be able to read the temperatures for troubleshooting. Also TRIM support for NVME raid would be great.

0 Likes
cangming
Adept I

Update

The latest version 9.3.0-00296 still breaks the nvme smart info

Nothing change ...

0 Likes
cangming
Adept I

After using rcadm binary directly for nvme smart info, it is possible to get following infomation.

Drive[0]: ****
SerialNumber: ****
FirmwareRev: ****
Interface: ****
TotalDiskSize: ****
Power on Hours: ****
Power Cycle: ****
Temperature (Celsius): ****

Command will be 

rcadm --manage --smart-get -o

You can find rcadm under "C:\Program Files (x86)\RAIDXpert2"

But other important data like TBW still remain unsupported.

Awesome - above command works!

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

How many more years till this is resolved ?

0 Likes

I just tried Hard Disk Sentinel Pro 5.70.9 beta and it displays the complete S.M.A.R.T. details for NVMe SSDs in RAID arrays too when the recent driver installed (and after an extra reboot). It shows lifetime writes, health, temperature, wearout etc. 

See on the website:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/beta5/hdsentinel_pro_setup_5709-amnr.zip

- added support of AMD NVMe RAID solution: detect the status (health, temperature, lifetime writes, complete self-monitoring details) of NVMe M.2 PCIe SSDs managed by AMD RAID (both standalone and RAID configurations)
Requires AMD RAID driver 9.3.0-00266 or newer version.
Note: if the detection does not seem working immediately, a reboot / power cycle may be required

Have a happy new year!!!

Now make it work with crystaldiskinfo instead of actual nagware that claims to be free but nags you to buy it

0 Likes

With the command

rcadm --manage --smart-get --attributes --disk *

the rest of the SMART attributes are printed.

0 Likes

It should report to crystaldiskinfo and other programs including hwinfo like how smart is supose to work.

0 Likes

Looks like crystaldiskinfo is working on support now requires amd raid plugin you can download, its not working currently with latest raid driver but he is aware and working on it.

0 Likes
niunduro
Journeyman III

hello i have the same problem, raid 0 with 4 nvme Kingston FURY Renegade and no have info data smart, ( samsung magician, crystaldiskinfo, ssd kingston manager?, i have instaled hdsentinel and info appear, but the problem is that I want to have access, to be able to update the nvme firmware later.

AMD Chipset Drivers
Revision Number
AMD RAID Installer (SATA, NVMe RAID)
Revision Number
AMD RAID Driver (SATA, NVMe RAID)
Revision Number
0 Likes
alexandrefim
Journeyman III

There is a possibility to read the Smart by Crystal Disk.

Open it, in function, Advanced Feature, AMD RAID, you will go to a page where you can download two DLL files.

Just put it in the root folder of Crystal Disk and run it as administrator.

0 Likes

You forgot that you have to click properties on both files and click unblock them or it wont work, but yes this will work.

Sorry, but here I don't remember doing this.

0 Likes