cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

uker
Adept II

Installing chipset driver in Windows 10 installs nothing

I have a motherboard with 970 chipset, and long ago when I was on Windows 7, installing the chipset drivers installed a few things: USB filter, a couple of SATA drivers, SMBus, etc.

Now on Windows 10 I run the installer and it only says it will install the install manager.

All of the topics I've seen on the matter are people complaining about the SATA thing and the reply is to install it manually from the device manager, which I guess we can all agree that it's inconvenient at the very least.

What's going on here?

Isn't AMD acknowledging this that this install package is useless in what's currently the most used operating system?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Installing chipset driver in Windows 10 installs nothing

These?

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers

• Windows 10/8.1/7 (32-bit | 64-bit​​​)​​​​​​​​​​​

Download Drivers

0 Kudos
uker
Adept II

Precisely.

0 Kudos
uker
Adept II

Anyone?

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss

This is normal. All the necessary drivers for this chipset already included in windows 10.

0 Kudos
jakslap
Challenger

Chipset drivers is not a software package. They are files that allows windows to identify hardware components of your motherboard. Most Chipset drivers are included in Windows 10.

In regards to Windows 7, its most likely that your board came out after Windows 7 was released and hence you will need to install the chipset drivers because they were not included with Windows 7. The newer the Windows version the more amount of basic drivers are included.

For example I have an old laptop that came with windows 7, if i format with Win7 i will have to install the wifi drivers to get wireless to work. But if i install Windows 8 or 10, i dont need to install the WiFi Drivers because they are already included with Windows 10.

Hope this helped

uker
Adept II

If what you say was true, performing a driver update with automatic search pointing to the driver's folder would not install them either.

It would say the most updated drivers are already installed.

0 Kudos
uker
Adept II

Same thing as I told redfury.

If what you say was true, performing a driver update with automatic search pointing to the driver's folder would not install them either.

It would say the most updated drivers are already installed.

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss

I do not understand what you want.

Automatic search is searching on Microsoft servers in Microsoft database.And this database is constantly updating.

You can manually update driver(via device manager) for AMD SATA and SMbus from C:\AMD folder after unpacking AMD chipset drivers.

And this is wrong forum for your question, by the way.

0 Kudos
eidairaman1
Adept II

The drivers haven't been updated in some time, grab the 16.4.2 Chipset driver updates if using Windows 7, and Probably 10 as well.

0 Kudos