cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

be_dos
Adept I

Installing AMDGPU-PRO drivers on Radeon VII under Linux

So I've been trying to install amdgpu-pro drivers for my Radeon VII, but here's what I got.

On Ubuntu 18.04 installing the drivers results in cyclic filesystem checks at boot time. The only way to get rid of this behavior is to boot into recovery mode.

I've read online that Linux kernel 4.18 is required to run the drivers, and so I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.10, which has this version of the kernel installed by default (I had kernel 4.16 in Ubuntu 18.04).

The drivers installation again resulted in an error, and here's the situation I'm in now.

Attempting to uninstall the divers via amdgpu-pro-uninstall results in the following:

Reading package lists... Building dependency tree... Reading state information... Package 'amdgpu-core' is not installed, so not removed You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these. The following packages have unmet dependencies:  amdgpu-dkms : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  amdgpu-lib : Depends: amdgpu-core (= 18.50-725072) but it is not going     to be installed  amdgpu-pro-core : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  glamor-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  gst-omx-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libdrm-amdgpu-common : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libdrm2-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libdrm2-amdgpu:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libegl1-amdgpu-mesa : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libegl1-amdgpu-mesa:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libgbm1-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libgbm1-amdgpu:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-dri : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed                       Recommends: libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 but it is not installable or                                   libtxc-dxtn0 but it is not installable  libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-dri:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386                            Recommends: libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386 but it is not installable or                                        libtxc-dxtn0:i386 but it is not installable  libglapi-amdgpu-mesa : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libglapi-amdgpu-mesa:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libllvm7.0-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libllvm7.0-amdgpu:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libwayland-amdgpu-client0 : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libwayland-amdgpu-client0:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libwayland-amdgpu-egl1 : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libwayland-amdgpu-egl1:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  libwayland-amdgpu-server0 : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  libwayland-amdgpu-server0:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  mesa-amdgpu-va-drivers : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  mesa-amdgpu-va-drivers:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  mesa-amdgpu-vdpau-drivers : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  mesa-amdgpu-vdpau-drivers:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  wsa-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed  wsa-amdgpu:i386 : Depends: amdgpu-core:i386  xserver-xorg-amdgpu-video-amdgpu : Depends: amdgpu-core but it is not going to be installed

If I attempt to run sudo apt --fix-broken install, as the system suggests, I get the following:

Reading package lists... Building dependency tree... Reading state information... Correcting dependencies... Done The following additional packages will be installed:   amdgpu-core The following NEW packages will be installed:   amdgpu-core 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 250 not upgraded. 142 not fully installed or removed. Need to get 0 B/2 348 B of archives. After this operation, 12,3 kB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]  Get:1 file:/var/opt/amdgpu-pro-local ./ amdgpu-core 18.50-725072 [2 348 B] (Reading database ...  (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% (Reading database ... 80% (Reading database ... 85% (Reading database ... 90% (Reading database ... 95% (Reading database ... 100% (Reading database ... 173362 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack .../amdgpu-core_18.50-725072_all.deb ... ERROR: This package can only be installed on Ubuntu 18.04. dpkg: error processing archive /var/opt/amdgpu-pro-local/./amdgpu-    core_18.50-725072_all.deb (--unpack):  new amdgpu-core package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing:  /var/opt/amdgpu-pro-local/./amdgpu-core_18.50-725072_all.deb

Manual amdgpu-core installation fails just as well, with an error indicating that that package is only available in Ubuntu 18.04.

My questions are:

Is it possible to fix this kind of behavior?

And, if not,

How, in which version of Ubuntu and Linux kernel is it possible to successfully install amdgpu-pro drivers on a Radeon VII?

If you need any additional logs/outputs of the commands/etc., please ask me to provide them.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

0 Likes
4 Replies

This is the latest Ubuntu Linux driver for the Radeon VII: Radeon™ Software for Linux® 18.50 Release Notes | AMD 

This version give support for the new AMD GPU Card under Unbuntu 18.04.1:

fractalyse
Adept I

I have Radeon VII, fully working with latest version of 18.50 driver and kernel 4.15.0-46-generic

be_dos
Adept I

So, I finally got it working with the following combinations:

• Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
  • Linux kernel 4.15.0-46-generic
  • Mesa 18.2
  • AMDGPU 18.50 (with -opencl=pal)
  • Wayland window manager (this was important for me, it doesn't work with the standard one)

Thanks to everyone who was trying to help!

Also I forgot to mention that I don't know what's the situation with AMDGPU-PRO - after trying to get just something to work for such a long time and having the all-open version work, I decided not to test that one.

After all, what I have should do well for OpenCL development, so that's a no-issue.

0 Likes