cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted

Installing AMD Drivers On A10-5750M + HD 8970M Laptops

Just opened an account to make this complain. I have been a AMD user over more than 10 years but i am done! I have a good graphic card as you can see on my notebook, atm i am over making it work as dual graphic cards with latest firmware because HD 8650G is legacy and not supported anymore, even this notebook two years old, i can't even make HD 8970 work as a dedicated graphic card. I formatted my notebook, installed latest crimson firmware, it warned me about not supporting HD 8650G, i said w/e i can use only 8970M but after the setup complete, i restarted my notebook and Radeon says ''No AMD graphics installed, or the AMD driver is not working properly. Please install the AMD driver apprpriate for your AMD hardware'. I removed HD 8950G at device manager but it keeps coming back, i disabled it but it keeps getting active again, i uninstalled the driver couple of time and installed again but same error still keeps coming back. Thank you for condemn me to old catalyst and driver, very nice of you.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

274 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Really nice of you AMD! (A10-5750M and HD 8970M)

Try this, it might work and allow you to use the latest drivers for both your legacy integrated graphics card and your GCN graphics card.

1. Remove all AMD drivers from your system
  2. Download and Install Crimson 16.2.1 Beta
  3. Restart
  4. Download and Install Crimson 16.2.1
  5. Restart and test
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Just as a point of reference...computers are being sold today with Windows XP installed. How old the computer is, is no longer a guarantee that the hardware/software is modern/current.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have same problem, I wont buy AMD never again, this is too much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

The only problem I see here is people buying laptops for computer gaming and expecting them to run and operate just like desktops. That is an entirely unreasonable expectation, and is akin to hammering a square peg into a round hole.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is fibbing to you.  Laptops, from the cpu out to every component on the mboard, are custom-designed by the manufacturer and have one single primary goal: power conservation for extended battery life.  Every component in a laptop, including the GPU, is designed for power conservation.  Desktops are built/engineered around an entirely different dynamic.  Desktops don't have batteries and don't need to conserve power because of any need to extend battery life, and as a result desktop computer components are always more robust and powerful than similar components found in laptops (especially be warned about laptop GPU model numbers that are the same as their discrete cousins--because they are *not* the same at all.)  Desktop components are also manufactured to *industry standards* (which is why you can take a discrete AMD or nVidia GPU and plug it into a PCIe slot in a motherboard made by MSI or Asus and it will work ROOB and it will take a common set of Windows drivers.)

That's not how it works with a laptop--never has and never will.  Laptops are custom creatures and very often the *only* drivers you can use with them are available *only* from the laptop manufacturer--regardless of what company makes the GPU.  Caveat Emptor. Unless you enjoy games, really, a laptop is fine for most other purposes. But never, ever buy a laptop expecting that it will be superior to a desktop for gaming--because it won't be. You don't have to take my word for it--visit game forums--8/9 out of every 10 problems have something to do with a laptop--and that's precisely why.  I don't care if the marketing for a given laptop says that it's the best computer ever made for gaming--it won't be.   If it's a laptop it will be inferior to a desktop for the purposes of gaming.

Best advice: build your own desktop for gaming--use your laptop for portable needs and very light, non-stressful (on the hardware) gaming.  A laptop blows a desktop away when it comes to portability--but that is *all* that a laptop does better...Smiley Wink

This will likely fall on deaf ears, but, hey, I do what I can...Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We are not talking about 'desktop vs notebook performance' thing here, we are talking about driver support. I have a desktop gaming pc too, what you are saying not to do with op.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologise, i posted the wrong driver earlier and as a result, my recommendation may not have worked correctly on your system. Installing two different types of legacy and no legacy driver may only work on the 16.2.1 branch or earlier drivers.

You need to install both 16.2.1 drivers, one after the other. I have corrected my earlier post and will repaste it here. Please try this and see if it works.

1. Remove all AMD drivers from your system
  2. Download and Install Crimson 16.2.1 Beta
  3. Restart
  4. Download and Install Crimson 16.2.1
  5. Restart and test
Highlighted

I don't understand, isn't my apu Richland? What is it to do with Carrizo?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've edited my post to clear up the confusion, the bug is not relevant here.