Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thezoof
Adept I

Installing AMD drivers causes PC to be unusable with 4K tv

Good day.

I am installing a brand new media server at my home and I am unable to get the TV to work with the AMD 590 video card.

I know the issue is related to 4k resolution using 60hz and 4:4:4 output.  Unfortunately since I am not using HDMI 2.1 the cable I have does not support that output.

Unfortunately whenever I install the AMD drivers it defaults to the max resolution/output that the TV supports which kills the ability to do anything on the PC.

I have tried remoting into the win10 pc, tried having dual monitors and as soon as I hook up the HDMI to my TV I lose the ability to do anything.

The radeon GUI has the setting I need under settings>display however when I remote into that the display option just flickers and is not clickable with any success.

How can I set the custom resolution and then connect the HDMI so it takes that value that I provide (ie: 4k @24hz 4:4:4 or 4k @60 hz 4:2:0) that is supported with HDMI 2.0?

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I was able to get it to work by changing the 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 in Windows WHILE the issue occurred.  It took about 45 minutes to click 3 boxes however the output works now and I am able to use the TV with AMD video card.

It should be noted this identical issue did not occur with Nvidia driver/card on previous PC.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
thezoof
Adept I

I did some more testing and 100% it is the AMD driver causing the issue.  If I uninstall the drivers everything works and as soon as I install AMD drivers the settings go to MAX which exceeds the limit of the HDMI cable.

Anyone know how I can set a limit on the setting within Win10 without having the HDMI cable connected to the source?

Thanks for your time.

0 Likes

I was able to get it to work by changing the 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 in Windows WHILE the issue occurred.  It took about 45 minutes to click 3 boxes however the output works now and I am able to use the TV with AMD video card.

It should be noted this identical issue did not occur with Nvidia driver/card on previous PC.  

0 Likes