cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HarlowLovesGaming
Journeyman III

Installed CPU Drivers with Chipset Installer, now I'm confused as to what everything is.

Imgur Post

So I downloaded the Chipset Software Installer program (Installation folder is Image 1 in the Imgur post) and it said I should download 5 drivers + the Ryzen Power Plan (Image 2 in the Imgur post) so I said yes, it downloaded them, and I restarted my PC.

When my PC booted up again, two new folders appeared, one called "Chipset_IODrivers" (As seen in Image 3) which appeared alongside the Chipset Software folder from Image 1, as well as a new AMD folder at "C:\AMD" (Image 4).

I also checked Programs and Features to see if I could uninstall the Chipset Software Installer, but there was just a thing that said AMD Software, and when activated it just gave me the option to uninstall some of the drivers (Image 5).

I then also checked Device Manager to see if the drivers installed correctly, and they appear to have (Image 6).

So, what I want to know is: What do I do with those folders? The folders being "C:\AMD", "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-21.5.2-MinimalSetup-210517_web".

When I asked on reddit, I was told that "C:\AMD" is just backup installers for each of the drivers, and that it can be safely deleted, but I'm not really sure.

The messiness of it all is really toying with my OCD so any advice on what I can/can't/should/shouldn't do would be much appreciated, thank you!

0 Likes
1 Reply
kshutch00
Adept III

If you look at the devices in device manager and then right click->properties-> driver details for a given device, windows shows you (or should at least) where a devices related drivers are stored.  

Check the devices in question and if the paths you want to remove are not listed, then they should not be used as active drivers for your system and should be able to be removed.

But, tread with caution, I would just leave those files alone, OCD be damned.  

0 Likes