cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

petz
Journeyman III

Re: Installation of AMD chipset driver 2.07.14.327 failed (Error 1603)

Thanks your advice helped me get past this issue.

I suspect AMDs drivers can't overwrite the previous version AND the installation attempt of the new version wipes out the previous installation files in C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\ which then gets you in a state of being unable to use add/remove to uninstall the previous drivers which lets you upgrade.

To get my install fix this is what I did. I wanted to avoid any regkey editing manually or with third party tools

Steps

1. Delete C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\ which would have been corrupted when attempting to install the current release (2.07.14.327).

2. Run the installer for the previous version you had installed. For me this was 2.04.28.626. I had kept a copy locally, but if you didn't you can grab it here https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570.  The AMD installer will likely fail or not do anything. But by running the old installer it will put the files needed back in C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\. 

3. now that you have the old files back. The uninstall will work. Run the .msi version of the installer located at C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\ChipsetDriversExtract\MSIFiles\Packages (<-- I think that's it, not looking at it now). The install will have a “remove” option in the wizard to uninstall. 

4. Once you run the uninstall. To ensure a clean install in the next step, I deleted C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer

5. Now that you have removed the old version, you can now reattempt the new 2.07.14.327 version. This time it should work

shenny79
Adept I

Just for the record, let me say that after facing the same issue with the latest AMD drivers (2.10.13.408) I finally tried the approach with their installation from a new local account and it worked. The root cause for the original issue remains unknown to me. However, the fact that both accounts run on the same OS and in one case the installation works and in the other one it fails with an unclear and misleading message points to a problem with the installer, not with the OS. They should be more careful how they test their software.

sfisher679
Journeyman III

Thanks man. This really works. I created this account to give my thanks to you. You really saved my day.

0 Likes
KillerKitty
Journeyman III

So for future reference for anyone who tried everything in here and nothing worked like me, I found a new solution.

1. After I ran the old chipset installer (this was after deleting my chipset drivers with windows uninstall tool) and it failed I poked around in the amd folder and noticed there was a folder containing all the drivers which is located in this pathway "C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Drivers\IODriver" (without quotes).

2. There is where you will find all of the necessary chipset drivers to install and I installed them all manually using the installer file located in each of their respective folders (gpio2, pci, psp, smbus).

3. Then I located them in device manager and manually updated the driver by manually locating the folder where it installed each specific set of drivers when prompted by device manager and updating.

4. Then I ran the old chipset installer and to my complete surprise... it worked!

5. I decided to run the new chipset installer just to see if it would fail again... it didn't, everything installed correctly!

Honestly I have no idea why this worked but all the correct devices and drivers are installed in the device manager and all the chipset files are back when I run the microsoft install and uninstall tool. This is especially shocking because amd said on their website to delete the old chipset (without telling you how to do it, other than running their uninstaller built into the chipset installer which was not on my pc for some reason).

0 Likes
def1nity
Journeyman III

Was getting error "Unable to install AMD chipset drivers. System configuration is not compatible for RAID drivers or application installation. A system update is required to complete the installation."

I tried everything I could think of before I came across this simple solution... Kind of happy since next step was formatting...

Installing from a different windows profile is the solution, still not sure what profile-specific setting is causing the issue for my main one... Just created a local admin account, logged with it and installation went through without a hitch! Oh well, until the next update I guess /shrug #amdthings

Tags (1)
0 Likes