cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Install GPU Driver Without Crossfire

How do you install the graphics drivers without enabling crossfire?  I have 2 RX580 GPUs in my system and every version of the GPU driver since I had them over the past 3 years causes the Windows UI to slow and become unusable to the point I can't open the AMD control center to turn off crossfire.  Every version of the driver I have tried automatically enables crossfire when installed.

The setup works perfectly fine with crossfire disabled.  Is there a command line flag or procedure to install the GPU driver without enabling crossfire?

GPU: 2 RX580 8GB
Desktop: Custom
Windows 10 Professional x64
Driver: Any AMD drivers including the latest recommended and optional (20.8.1 Optional)(20.4.2 WHQL).
Displays: 5 1080p Monitors
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
RAM: 16GB x4 Sticks
PSU: Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-850GD 850W GOLD FULL MODULAR ATX12V & EPS12V 135mm FDB Fan Super Quiet Power Supply

0 Likes
6 Replies

Could be left over AMD settings that weren't deleted when you updated the AMD Driver thus corrupting your update to the new or same version.

Try using this basic method to remove and install your AMD driver and if it makes any difference:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

EDIT: Are you using 5 monitors at the same time?  If so what program are you using for your Multi-Monitors setup? Eyefinity or Windows etc.

I tried several installation methods including wiping the installation with DDU in safe mode for several installations, but the result is always the same with the driver automatically enabling crossfire when installed and the Windows UI locking.  I have all 5 monitors connected simultaneously and managed by Windows.  When crossfire is enabled, most of the monitors are unavailable, as I understand crossfire is intended for single monitor use. 

Some seem to feel that the Asrock motherboard has a bad crossfire implementation which may cause problems.  In other words, crossfire never property worked with this motherboard. 

However, the AMD GPU driver must have a config file or setting somewhere where the crossfire settings can be manually changed without using Catalyst Control Center, or the new control center. 

Does anyone know where that would be?

0 Likes

Try using AMD Eyefinity (Radeon Settings) and see if it turns off Crossfire automatically or not when you try to configure your 5 monitors.

0 Likes

As I have said, I can't get into AMD settings/Catalyst Control Center.  Any changes would need to be done from config files, command line, the registry, etc. 

Does anyone know where the crossfire settings file or registry entry is?

Also, I can't get into AMD settings in Windows safe mode where everything works as AMD settings is not allowed to run since the AMD GPU driver isn't loaded in safe mode.

0 Likes

What you are saying then is that the AMD Driver didn't install successfully since you can't open Radeon Settings.

Does Device Manager show any errors or yellow exclamation marks especially for the Display category?

If the AMD Driver installed correctly you should have access to Radeon Settings which is installed when you install the full AMD Driver package.

I would first remove the current AMD driver or any of its traces and then install the AMD driver you want to try using the basic method mentioned earlier.

Once you finished following the above method and install the new AMD Driver go to Device Manager and see what is showing and see if AMD Radeon Settings is now working.

If not try removing one of the GPU cards and first see if Radeon Settings works if not install the AMD Driver again but with one GPU card.

1- The above method should prevent any conflicts or corruption when you install the AMD driver.

2-Removing one GPU Card (temporarily) is to eliminate any possible issues with both cards installed at the same time.

Find a couple of DisplayPort multi stream boxes. DP to 3x HDMI. Then you can run all 5 panels from the primary card and use CFX for extra CU support,

0 Likes