I wanted to update my chipset drivers recently and saw that since my last update (around may I believe) there was this new installer and version numbering used.
Sadly when I try to run the update, it gets stuck on the drivers extraction and used 5Mb of RAM, and no CPU usage or disk usage (or 0.1% CPU and 0.6Mb/s of disk writes for about 5-10s then nothing). Nothing gets extracted to the AMD folder at the root of any of my disk drives.
I tried removing the content of the AMD folder in question, I tried moving the installer to each HDD and running each from each, none works, and I tried completely uninstalling the existing drivers and install these either from scratch or from the latest of the old numbering. I also tried either installing the first of the new numbering or the latest. Lastly I also tried both official AMD drivers and the drivers available on the website of my mobo (Strix B450-F Gaming). I pretty much tried everything people tried when having the same issue with the old drivers (early 2018 apparently).
Nothing works and I'm at a bit of a loss. I don't even understand why they changed their installer. Sure the old one didn't look super pro during the extraction process, but the new one with the Windows Form window that's probably from the C# libraries isn't great either... (doesnt even have a custom icon :S)
If anyone knows what I can do about it thanks in advance.
Having the same problem. It hangs on "please wait... AMD Chipset Driver's extraction in progress.", with the progress bar recycling over and over, and never installs. I've tried deleting and re-downloading the installer, deleting the AMD folder in C: and trying it again, and still no dice.
I just started having the same issue with the latest drivers. Earlier versions have installed just fine. Sigh...
I was finally able to get them to install, by uninstalling the prior AMD drivers through the Windows control panel, and then running the installer for the new drivers. I had even used AMD's driver removal tool and they wouldn't install, but running the windows uninstaller first finally did the trick.
I would've hoped to avoid that since you run the risk of running into the same issue but with no way to get back to a properly working system.
Yeah it's not optimal for sure, but until AMD fixes their installer, it's a work around.
It turned out that my problem was a different one that wasn't solved by uninstalling the old driver. Instead it was caused by AMD's incorrect assumption that the system drive is always C:\. It seems they reference C:\AMD\ explicitly for some things and the system drive other times which means that it fails to find the driver installer files unless you copy the C:\AMD\ folder to your system drive as well and run it from there. It will start the extraction process again but now successfully launch the installer once that's finished.
This didn't use to be a problem until the 1.11 release and later ones. It would be nice if they fixed that though since it's bound to confuse people.