cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cnseref
Adept I

Image Sharpening causes extreme stuttering

While playing Assasin's Creed Valhalla, enabling Image Sharpening causes an extreme stuttering which makes the game completely unplayable. I actually love this function and without this game's graphics seem blurry to me. I tried low graphic settings and nothing has changed - so, I doubt that it is because of my GPU and its inefficiency (RX 5600M). I do not get bad fps or other problems. Stuttering comes and goes momentarily when Image Sharpening is disabled during my game (which is normal to me). Basically this function causes fps instability as I have consecutively 80 fps and 20 fps etc. Is this a software issue? I would love to have a solution.

0 Likes
8 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

Roll back to the stable, non-stuttering driver version. You don't have to update every time the new driver releases unless it's necessary for the new game or there are major changes. Alternatively, use ReShade - it has multiple sharpen options, including ported CAS (although it's not in the base package, you'll have to google it yourself).

Installing previous drivers did not change anything. But using ReShade has compensated the function.

0 Likes
urielejh
Elite

do you have 10bit display option enabled?

0 Likes

I have 10-bit option always on, but I never even tried driver sharpening. Although there are rumors that enhanced sync and/or anti-lag driver settings may cause stutters in some particular games too (albeit I haven't encountered this in the ones I played).

I don't notice any difference in stuttering with synch options. And this stuttering caused by image sharpening is really extreme - not a momentary stuttering but a constant one. I have to add also that anti-lag causes freezing in AC Valhalla, I have to disable it.

0 Likes

try with disabling 10bit toggle..

0 Likes

Nope, changes nothing. And by the way, Reshader sharpenings do not cause the same problem. I can use them well but AMD's sharpening seems to be more performance friendly and better looking.

0 Likes

In fact I don't have Color Depth option on my software interface. (I have in its place "Varibright" instead)

0 Likes