Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

discordstar
Adept I

##ID_STRING16## what is this?

Jump to solution

I'm seeing this in my start menu and have no idea what this is?

from what i'm hearing its from AMD drivers and is installed in the wrong place i believe? what do i need to do to correct this?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elstaci
MVP

Re: ##ID_STRING16## what is this?

Jump to solution

I was deleting the post concerning the download of AMD PROBLEM REPORT WIZARD and accidently ended up deleting all the comments after that post.

My fault, just got up from sleeping and my mind is not very sharp yet.

1) Uninstall AMD Package Driver with DDU in safe mode with internet disconnected.

2) Make sure you delete any AMD Folders in Programfiles or Programfiles (x86) and APPDATA Folder that may have remained.

3) Reboot to Windows Desktop and check the Start Menu and see if the garbled entries are gone. CLick on those entries and see if Start Menu asks to delete them since they are not present on your computer anymore. If not go to Programdata -Microsoft-Windows-Start Menu- Program  and delete the entries that you see that are garbled.

4) Run the AMD PACKAGE installer again. Make sure you UNCLICK the AMD EXPERIENCE Program and choose CUSTOM. Under CUSTOM  installation UNCLICK AMD PROBLEM REPORT WIZARD. Now run the installer. It shouldn't install neither the AMD EXPERIENCE PROGRAM nor the AMD PROBLEM REPORT WIZARD.

5) Reconnect the Internet and Check the Start Menu again to make sure  everything look correct.

Note: If I had known you could have prevented the AMD PROBLEM REPORT from being installed it would have saved a lot of troubleshooting. But that was my fault.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
54 Replies
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Could you please supply your system specs and os information. Also if you can get a screen shot of it that would help. I know someone asked about this a while back. I had no idea what this was and don't know if that got resolved. These are users helping users here not AMD driver guys. With a bit more info hopefully someone knows. You can also submit a support ticket to AMD for them to help your. It is the link in orange at the bottom of their contact page.

0 Likes
discordstar
Adept I

Jump to solution

Windows 10 Pro

Ryzen 2600

Sapphire RX580

8gb ram

samsung ssd 250gb

is this the info you want?

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

I was thinking a screen shot of exactly what you are seeing would be nice but yes the other information is good.

0 Likes
discordstar
Adept I

Jump to solution

this is what i see in the start menu:

652E9LY.png

is it something important installed in the wrong place or....?

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

Here is an old thread from AMD Forum with the same question as you: Why does the driver create a folder called ##ID_STRING16## in start menu?

This later thread actually has a reply from AMD Support concerning your question: AMD 17.11.1 ##ID_STRING16## folder start menu

discordstar
Adept I

Jump to solution

one of the post mentions editing the string, can i get an example what that means and how to do it

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

Not sure. I have been using Classic Shell Menu since I first upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7.  Classic Shell is not supported anymore but is open source and now called Open Shell. Same program but now supported again. But I am able to switch to Windows 10 Menu. I right clicked one file and it several  entries  but none to rename. But it does show  "Open to File Location"

Under Windows 10 Menu, Click on the String. What do you see in the submenu?  "Open to File Location" or "Rename"?  If you see only  "Open to File Location", click on that. It should take you to the AMD file and maybe you might be able to change it to the proper name if the file's name is garbled. If it shows "Rename" then simply rename the menu entry to the correct AMD file (by going to file location and finding out name of the file).

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

I have not had this exact issue. I have had other issues with icons not showing the correct one. I have used the method elstaci mentioned and could manually re-link them and that would fix things but they would revert back. I know I used a feature in a 3rd utility Tweaking_com Windows Repair. I don't remember exactly what option fixed it, I think it was an option for fixing start menu problems though. I am not at my pc right now to check. 

Before digging too much and taking my potentially bad advice. I would contact AMD Support on their contact page as I told you above and run this by them. They may be able to offer some quick good advice. No guarantees but it might be worth waiting a day or two before starting something else.

elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

Found this website that shows how to rename Windows 10 Start Menu entries: Renaming a start menu Item in Windows 10 - Super User