cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bersekerwolf
Adept I

I would like to know, why they DO NOT UPDATE DRIVERS for the AMD RADEON R7 M260 card for WINDOWS 8.1 64 bits??, the latest driver is from 2017 and ONLY UPDATE for Windows 10 ??? You have FORGOTTEN us..please update to W8.1 !!!

#AMD R7 M260 driver update for Windows 8.1

1 Solution

AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers   (2017)

y Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 07/27/2017  

"I just asked AMD to see what is going on there, and it is confirmed that there will no longer be any new Windows 8.1 drivers for Radeon graphics cards. The install base is just too small"

Here is what we got back from AMD: 

"We no longer support Windows 8.1 officially with consumer postings. If users want to use the Windows 7 driver on Windows 8.1 then that is their choice."

View solution in original post

9 Replies
instant_win
Adept III

win7 driver should work fine on 8.1

Thank you very much for the response

0 Likes

The reason why you don't have any more updated drivers for Windows 8/8.1 is because AMD stopped supporting that version of Windows OS.

You either need to upgrade to Windows 10 or try as a previous reply use Windows 7 and see if it is compatible or not.

Worth mentioning the 2020 drivers apparently will not install via the installer on Windows 8.1. It takes jumping through some hoops. There are several threads about how to do this in this forum if the OP searches. 
Unfortunately AMD chose to not support a supported operating system and is currently still releasing drivers for an OS (Windows 7) that is not supported. Go figure...... However I am all for the support. It is the lack of it that bugs me.

This thread has covered the how to on the latest drivers on Win 8.1

https://community.amd.com/thread/246796 

Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Quote from a Forbes article

“Windows 8.1 falls under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8, and will reach end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. With the General Availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 have 2 years, until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 in order to remain supported.”

Ah Windows 8.1. Right? Wrong. There is a flaw here as well. Microsoft no longer supports ‘Windows 8.1’. Support for it ended in August 2015 and that in itself was an extension after it was originally meant to end in May 2015.

So when Microsoft stopped support for Windows 8 and 8.1,so did AMD,simple.

AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers   (2017)

y Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 07/27/2017  

"I just asked AMD to see what is going on there, and it is confirmed that there will no longer be any new Windows 8.1 drivers for Radeon graphics cards. The install base is just too small"

Here is what we got back from AMD: 

"We no longer support Windows 8.1 officially with consumer postings. If users want to use the Windows 7 driver on Windows 8.1 then that is their choice."

Thanks for answering, your answer was very useful

0 Likes

You never noticed that in three years? Did you buy the notebook used?

Windows 8.1 is not widely used at all, the gaming community has largely moved to windows 10 x64 long ago

Windows 10 x64 is still a mainstream supported OS, as long as people keep updating it. Microsoft has fixed the update problems, no more reboot cycles like a clean install. Now it more like update Tuesday with a reboot for core OS fixes.

0 Likes