cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

QwertyZilch
Adept I

I've been getting Driver related crashes even when idling

Hello, I'm looking for help right now because I'm in quite the pickle. My pc has been crashing 99% of the time due to driver related crashes, it's been doing this since I first built nearly 2 years ago and still is now. It will crash at random when idling or running small tasks like youtube, It usually seems to be GPU related but at times it won't be a graphical related driver issue (ie cpu i believe). It almost never crashes durring videogames though for some reason that I have no clue why, however It does and will crash withing 10 minutes of me edditing on adobe premier pro, every crash with premier (but 1) has been due to gpu drivers. I have a Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX570 4gb, and 16gb (3200mhz i think?) of RAM by G.SKILL and lastly I have a B450 by GIGABYTE. I've tried updating my drivers and replacing the up to date ones, I currently have the latest chipset drivers and gpu drivers avaliable, I've tried changing boot drives to a better faster one but that didn't work, I've tried reinstalling windows which didn't work, I've tried updating my bios which didn't work, I've tried everything that is reccomended and more by websites forums etc. I seriously don't know what else to do at this point, I use premier pro for my job and I can't even run it for more than 10 minutes. Any help is appreciated, Thankyou a ton.

6 Replies
djasthma
Adept III

Hey, sorry to hear/read that. The fact that it has been doing this for two years (since it was first built) seems like a hardware issue or a setup/installation issue. Are you getting a BSOD when it crashes or does it just shut down. Yes, it sounds cpu/memory related. Are you running an overclock of some sort and your cpu cooler is operational. What i would recommend if you are up for it is use the event viewer and Blue Screen Viewer to see what programs are causing the crash when it happens (or error/dumps if a BSOD happens). This might help you diagnose the issue. 

I've been using a bsod viewer called "who crashed" it breaks down each bsod code, all of which are driver related, the most common one: being driver irql not less than or equal. I've never overclocked any of my components, my cpu under load is usually 65°c and my gpu is usually 72°c. everything is set to stock settings, I have messed around with my gpu profiles but not in anyway that would overclock, its temperature never reaches above 75°c I've also tried resetting my profiles but it doesn't change anything. I've also reinstalled the latest driver and no change aswell as my chipset. My thought based on everything I've done so far to no affect is that it's memory related.

djasthma
Adept III

I see, thanks for shedding some light on this. Since you are not running an overclock and operating withing safe temperatures with functional cooling and the BSOD reports state a driver failure, you may have faulty hardware as i have seen cases where drivers crash due to hardware malfunction (which i was hoping it was not). This stems from the fact that you have had the issue since launch. If you can try swap out some hardware to diagnose which device might be faulty (as over the two years and multiple driver releases have not fixed the issue). Really hope this is not the case.

I recently swapped gpus and psus for upgrades and that has aleviated certain types of crashing, however im still getting some crashes, me and a couple people have gone through my event viewer and dump folders ran commands etc. and we believe it to be my motherboard. So the gpu was also causing issues but the motherboards was too, or the motherboard was also causing more gpu issues, which isn't bad as now my younger brother can have my old gpu. I just need to get a new motherboard. The other thought was ram but after rigerious testing and different configurations it seems not to be the case. Another thought was possibly cpu based errors but most of my errors on event viewer were TMP based (I think, I dont remember exactly) which is caused by the motherboard so I'm currently looking into getting a new one. 

0 Likes
USN-DC2-RET
Adept I

Yea, sorry to hear you are experiencing this, sounds frustrating. When I was doing networking, an extremely powerful lesson I learned was "physical connection", if something wasn't working, I was taught to make sure it is physically connected, sounds simple but resolves the issue many times. I believe this holds true to internal components in any device and hardware in general, if all else fails, and software can't resolve an issue, then it's time to start trying hardware, back to something physical. Since you are using PP for your work, and these crashes keep happening, isn't it time to invest in more / other hardware and get it corrected, and if you can't, can you take the machine to someone who can. The time spent on trying to diag the machine could also be spent on making more money to upgrade, or replace parts, then issue is resolved, so, it would seem to be extremely important to move forward on this, one way or another.

AMD 5950X, ASUS Dark Hero, Corsair 128G DP 3600 CL18, Corsair H170i 420mm AIO, ASUS RTX 3090 24G OC, Corsair AX 1600i, Samsung 980 Pro 2T X 2, Corsair 7000D Airflow, Samsung 32 @ 4K.
0 Likes

Yesterday I upgraded my PSU and GPU to 650 w and a GTX3050, which has fixed video related crashing, but im still having crashes like "attempted execute of non execute memory" and things like that, after going through a lot of my crash files, running commands, and event viewer with multiple people the general concensous is that my motherboard is the problem