cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BananaSplit1209
Journeyman III

I think I have a big problem (DRIVER 22.8.2)

Specs & Info

• AMD Radeon RX 6700XT, Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x73DF)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core (12CPUs), ~3,4GHz
  • OP System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • 16384MB RAM (MEMORY)

Hope this information suffices ^

Just for context, I'm fairly new to PC Gaming.

So what my problem is, is that I can't update my drivers to 22.8.2, the latest driver update, and I think that is causing a lot of issues. Now as to why I can't update, I will explain. I noticed there were new drivers available in July, I think that even was 22.7.1, so I just updated my drivers like I always did (never had problems before) so just figured it would be fine.

All of a sudden after the update, whenever doing something like opening Google Chrome, Youtube videos, opening steam, my display would lag very bad. My mouse was lagging all over the screen and sometimes the display even blacked out for a bit. So naturally after some more trials with this new update I started looking for fixes. So apparently, there just isn't a fix just a solution that gives you other problems, like reverting to older updates. 

So I believe I reverted back to 22.6.1, or at least the one I was using before, so everything was working fine again. So it definitely had to do with this new driver update. Lately I was able to do everything normally again, except for when I got this game The Quarry. I started having crashes. So naturally I looked into what could be causing this, the game is pretty taxing, and I was running it on high settings, so I just set everything on lower settings and expected the problem to disappear, but it didn't. Crashes kept happening, and not "regular crashes" but AMD crashes. Where the bug report tool that I don't even know where to start with comes up.

Anyways now I noticed a few weeks ago the 22.8.2 came out, so tried to update to that one (it's not even showing up as recommended update but as optional) and same issues as with 22.7.1. But I feel like why the game is crashing is due to me playing on outdated drivers. Because whenever I search up what a problem could be the general answer seems to be "Update your graphics driver" but like I said, that doesn't work for me as well.

Is there any way anyone might know what I can do? Because I am very frustrated with this and I just want to be able to play games without the game continously crashing. Currently I am using the 22.5.1 Version btw, but crashes still happen.

It was a bit of a mess trying to explain the problem, I feel like what I said above is the problem, but I could be very wrong 

0 Likes
3 Replies
urielejh
Elite

drivers from 22.7.1 till 22.8.2 suffers from hardware acceleration bug, so any apps that use it (prime video, netflix, steam, edge, firefox... - even tho' the latter has been fixed and/or the browser has a software fallback) cause massive stuttering/freezes.

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

I see that you've changed drivers a few times, and I found AMD doesn't like that (compared to my nvidia experience).  I'm new to AMD as well so I suggest you:

1. download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), and unzip it somewhere you can find it easy.

2. reboot into safe mode-no network  https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/windows-10-safe-mode 

3. Run DDU while in safe mode and let it reboot you

4. reinstall 22.5.1 or whatever version you think works best, but DO A MINIMAL OR DRIVER ONLY INSTALL. reboot when its done.

I use DDU anytime i change drivers now.  When i had nvidia I could run the installer right overtop the existing driver and had no issues. I still rebooted to be safe.

0 Likes
urielejh
Elite

last stable drivers are 22.6.2. i'm on 22.8.2 'cause i'm sick and tired of uninstalling/reinstalling... but can't use Edge, Prime video, Netflix... and Firefox works in software mode so i can only watch low-res videos on prime and netflix lol

0 Likes