cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Nova173
Adept I

I need help updating my BIOS.

I want to be clear as I do not want to mess up my system and I am a bit confused with a step in updating my BIOS. I have a b450 aorus elite MB, with a ryzen 5 2600, https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver I am upgrading to a ryzen 5 5600x hence the update to my BIOS. My BIOS is currently at the F5 update which is a few years old. On the gigabyte website for the aorus elite it shows the chipset driver download for my MB, can I use the lastest chipset driver on the AMD website instead? I need a chipset update for one of the BIOS updates. Next, I have watched multiple videos on updating BIOS and some people download the latest BIOS update and thats the end of it. Where as others have said you need to install prior updates before getting to the newest one. Can I download the newest version and be done, or would I need prior updates? In my case, do I go from my current F5 to F32, then the newest? I want to update as few times as possible, I have never done this, and I do not want to brick my computer or ruin it somehow. Help would be extremely appreciated.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!

Usually no previous BIOS versions are required, just download the latest BIOS and update. But in your case, it's a little different, you must first update to version F32 and only then update to the latest BIOS version (In the latest BIOS version, there is no indication in the note that you must first update to version F32 or F40, so you can update immediately to the latest version. But from my own experience, I know that in this case you still need to update to F32). Just look carefully at the name and revision of your motherboard.

You can install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website.

View solution in original post

You can use either your Motherboard's Chip set or AMD Chip set drivers. Whichever is newer or the latest.

As to updating your BIOS, you need to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS WARNINGS. Since you are at F5, you first need to update to F32 then to F40: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Screenshot 2022-11-22 150337.png

Before updating from F32 to F40 you first must install the latest EC EW Update Tool. Afterwards update to the latest CHIP Set drivers than update to F40 and then to the latest BIOS version.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!

Usually no previous BIOS versions are required, just download the latest BIOS and update. But in your case, it's a little different, you must first update to version F32 and only then update to the latest BIOS version (In the latest BIOS version, there is no indication in the note that you must first update to version F32 or F40, so you can update immediately to the latest version. But from my own experience, I know that in this case you still need to update to F32). Just look carefully at the name and revision of your motherboard.

You can install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website.

Thank you so much! I am updated and everything is working great!

0 Likes

You can use either your Motherboard's Chip set or AMD Chip set drivers. Whichever is newer or the latest.

As to updating your BIOS, you need to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS WARNINGS. Since you are at F5, you first need to update to F32 then to F40: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Screenshot 2022-11-22 150337.png

Before updating from F32 to F40 you first must install the latest EC EW Update Tool. Afterwards update to the latest CHIP Set drivers than update to F40 and then to the latest BIOS version.

Thank you so much! I am updated and everything is working great!