cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sgtdave117
Journeyman III

I'm still getting the black screen issue!!!

This is going to be part venting to be honest but i'm still getting the black screen crash. This is my first AMD product. It was time for me to upgrade and i couldn't justify spending $100 more for a 2070 super when performance wise the 5700 XT and the 2070 super were basically the same. After the experience i've been having i rather would've wen with the 2070. This blac screen issue is ridiculous. I didn't spend $450 before tax to not be able to use my PC. The only game that i have that it doesn't black screen on is Modern Warfare. I try to play rocket league and it black screens after 10-15 minutes of launching the game. I tried PUBG. Same issue 10-15 minutes after launch. I tried Sea of Thieves. Same issue 10-15 minutes after launch. This is ridiculous. I was thrilled when i heard that AMD released a driver update that was supposed to fix this issue. Well clearly it hasn't and i'm at my wits end with it. This is my last ditch effort to try and get it fixed or i'm going back to Nvidia and never looking back. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Likes
2 Replies
yummyhamster
Adept II

Hello,

A new upcoming driver might improve some things, it has been reported by some users that installing driver using INF only trough device manager, resolved there crashes. It seems that the Radeon Sofrware itself is crashing under certain loads. You can try the INF method by uninstalling the lnstalled driver and download the latest driver from the AMD site, then just as normall start the installer wait until the driver is extracted in c:\amd. You can point device manager to look for a driver in this folder. Afterwards you can close the installer.

It's not a detailed guide but if you need more help let me know.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

$450 for an RX 5700 XT is quite expensive, esp. Excl. Tax.

The Reference RX 5700 XT were £380 and are still selling for about that... and that's with VAT. 

No joke, it would've been cheaper for you to purchase from the UK and Import (which P&P costs approx. $25) than have bought it locally.

With that said... it's curious that you're still experiencing Black/Green Screen.

I've only experienced a single case of it since upgrading to 20.4.1 and even then, I have a feeling it was more my own fault as it was with a Development Build of my in-house Engine that I was testing some Vulkan 1.2 Extensions with.

Since I've also switched from Microsoft Edge (Edge "Classic") to Edge Chrome for watching Online Videos., I've also not had any Kernel/Driver Crashes that Hard Crash the System. 

I'm hoping at some point they do fix whatever issue there is between the Edge Web Engine and the Drivers, as I still prefer using it as my default browser over this Chrome-based crap. 

• 

Now as a keynote, when you begin the Driver Installation it will ask you if you want to enable Factory Reset (which means a CLEAN Driver Installation) ... you should ALWAYS do this with Graphics Drivers, but AMD Drivers esp. tend to retain legacy issues when you don't clean install updates. 

I don't know why AMD doesn't force that as the Default approach, given their track record; and would resolve a lot of common issues that less technically minded users have. 

If it does keep happening then in Radeon Settings, select the Cog Icon (Top-Right) and System Tab.

At the bottom there is a "Report Issues Online"

This will take you to an issue report form... fill it out with as much detail as you can (it'll walk you through other information it wants you to collect). 

Do this EACH TIME the issue occurs. 

This will help the Software Engineers track down the specific issue.

I would also strongly suggest... if you've upgraded from NVIDIA, then use the Driver DDU App (or better still, perform a Windows Clean Reset; which can be found at Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC) to ensure that you've cleaned Windows 10 up.

Again Windows 10 cumulative updates might resolve some issues, but due to how Microsoft no longer has a QA Team and doesn't perform these Updates "Cleanly" it means that you can actually have some legacy issues from previous Windows 10 bugs present after a Major Release Update (such-as 1909 / Spring Creators Update 2020 that occurred not to long back) that tend to adversely affect AMD more than Intel/NVIDIA. 

• 

While I know this all might be a pain., remember these are general tips that ideally you should've been doing anyway not simply because you have AMD Hardware now. 

Those two simple approaches typically resolve a good majority of persistent issues people have. 

0 Likes