cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pacraig26
Journeyman III

i have a amd radeon R9 390X installed in a hp ENVY Phoenix Desktop 860-030. Everything was working fine until i tried to do the most recent update Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Recommended (WHQL). After the update when the computer tries to restart it do

After the update when the computer tries to restart it doesn't do it correctly. I actually have to go into safe mode, uninstall the driver, then restart the computer. At that point the text is very hard to read and only one monitor is working. I used the unistall tool to remove previous versions, i used the clean up tool to remove everything and used the auto detect tool to install the new version. can anyone tell me what im doing wrong or what the issue is?

0 Likes
2 Replies
duijckaerts
Adept I

Spent quite some time struggling with the same. I came to the conclusion that there is an issue with the stock BIOS for HP's AMD R9 390X causing the driver install to fail and the system to hang, getting stuck in a reboot loop.

I have created a custom BIOS for the AMD R9 390X HP OEM. I used an XFX BIOS (XFX.R9390X.8192.150612.rom) and updated fan and other settings to be equal to the original HP one.

I have flashed it and the GPU is working fine now. AMD drivers were updated to the latest version "win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.7.1-july9", 27.20.2001.8002.

A link to the modified ROM below. Use at own risk.
HP AMD Radeon R9 390X 113-C67132-104 - fixed

You should be able to use the flashing tool on TechPowerUp to flash the ROM that I have created:

ATI ATIFlash / AMD VBFlash (2.93) Download | TechPowerUp 

Let me know if this has worked for you.

Output from GPU-Z:

GPU-Z.png

0 Likes
indub
Adept II

Did you resolve your issue?  I've had the same problem for 2 years, last working amd driver package I can install is 18.12.1.1 on two hp envy phoenix 860-170vr.

0 Likes