cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sebastian502
Newcomer

I can't update my graphics driver, please help me!

Hi. I have a desktop PC with:

AMD A10 7700K APU (Integrated graphics is a Radeon R7, I don't use it)

Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2H MoBo

RX 460 2GB

8GB RAM DDR3

650W PS

Windows 10 Pro

I have it connected to a TV with HDMI

For some reason, everytime I reinstall Windows it always has an specific Radeon Settings version installed. I think it's 17.1.1 or something like that... It's like if Windows thought that's the right version and it ALWAYS installs it after a Windows reinstall.

Anyways, when I open Radeon Settings to update it to the latest version, I see no update button. There simply is no way inside Radeon Settings to update it. No update button at all.

So, I went to the official AMD site to get the latest drivers and install them manually (18.12.1.1 for me rn). I did NOT use the auto-detect tool. I also got DDU's latest version. I performed a clean install (also disabled Windows Update and Windows Defender, I don't have any other AV), rebooted into safe mode without internet, used DDU and then tried to install the new drivers... Installation goes fine BUT when it ends I don't get any "Restart Now" button, as how it's supposed to be. That's the sign something went wrong. I remember that a while ago I had this same issue and somehow resolved it, but I don't remember how. What I do remember is that I knew it had worked out if I saw the "Restart Now" button at the end of the new driver's installation.

(pd: sometimes the installation doesn't even end, it just goes into a black screen of death and I have to reboot 5 or 3 times to get back in safe mode, it sucks)

So, what's wrong if I don't get that button? I can just manually restart by myself and that's it, right? Well, once I do that and try to open Radeon Settings it tells me "Radeon Settings and driver version do not match". Radeon Settings won't open. Also, I see a weird "ID_STRING###" folder or something like that in my Windows Start menu. Also, when I go to the device manager, I see that in Display Adapters, the RX 460 looks just fine, but the R7 seems to have some kind of problem. AND, the most important thing: When I launch a game it runs super bad. I tried playing Fortnite, it ran at about 30fps. And it used to run at +80fps with 17.1.1, the version that Windows installs automatically! All this means there's something wrong. My system works just fine, it's the driver whats messing everything up. I need to update the drivers to run my other games better. Fortnite runs fine but many others don't, and that's why I need a newer driver.

I think this COULD be fixed with an update for people with systems like mine, you know, an old APU and an old graphics card in Windows 10... amdmatt​ pls

kingfish​ Please help me!

Thanks in advance for your attention and help.

0 Likes
3 Replies

"For some reason, everytime I reinstall Windows it always has an specific Radeon Settings version installed. I think it's 17.1.1 or something like that... It's like if Windows thought that's the right version and it ALWAYS installs it after a Windows reinstall."

Yes and that will happen almost everytime until you prevent /delay Microsoft from automatically installing the driver version it thinks you should have.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

"4. Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums "

It is also recommended now to disconnect from the internet until you have removed/installed/and rebooted..as Windows has changed the way/method for checking for updatable programs.

0 Likes

Already did all of that. I disabled Windows Defender and Windows Update and

I disconnected my internet. Also that's not the main problem :/

0 Likes
sebastian502
Newcomer

bump

0 Likes