cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

oz0no
Journeyman III

How to use ONLY the integrated graphics of the R7 4800H processor in Fedora Linux

Hello everyone,

I want to use only the integrated graphics of the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor. It is a laptop with a dedicated graphics card from another vendor.

I currently have xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-21.0.0-1.fc33.src.rpm drivers installed.

Please, can you provide me with information on how to use only AMD integrated graphics.

Below you will find the technical information of my system.

Thanks in advance.

AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
     Integrated [AMD/ATI] Renoir (rev c6)
Desktop or Laptop System
     Lenovo Legion 5
Operating System
     Fedora Linux release 33 - kernel version 5.13.12-100
Driver version installed
     xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu version 21.0.0 release 1.fc33
Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
     Built-in display 1920 x 1080 at 144 Hz
CPU/APU Make and model number
     AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
Bios Revision
     EUCN31WW
System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
     DDR4 3200 MHz 2x8GB

0 Likes
3 Replies

By any chance have you looked in BIOS Setting and see if you can disable the Discrete GPU Card manually?

I not a Linux User but found this YouTube video that shows how to disable the Discrete GPU card in Fedora or any Linux OS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVJyrCFtFeE

Some other threads  mentions "Blacklisting" the GPU card to prevent it from being used.

Not sure if this Reddit Thread is of any help: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/luvigv/how_to_disable_nvidia_card_in_fedora_33/

Screenshot 2021-08-19 104255.png

In case you don't find the answer at this Forum try posting at a Fedora Forum like Fedora Project Org. website or Phoronix Forums.

0 Likes

Hi MVP,

Thank you for your input.

I have only two options to choose in BIOS: Switchable graphics or discrete. I have selected switchable.

I already test it disabling novuea and nvidia in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true

The config file /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch do exists in Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow) but doesn't exists in Fedora 33. Config files changes name and location along de Fedora development, so youtube video do not apply here. Sorry.

I tried to blacklist both nouveau and nvidia drivers in the grub config file and making a new grug config with grub2-mkconfig, but didn't work.

Linux line from boot:
linux rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.backlist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nvidida modprobe.backlist=nvidida nvidida-drm.modeset=0

Also I uninstalled nouveau and nvidia drivers but for some reason nouveau kernel driver seems to be enabled even with no existence of the rpm package.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Green985
Journeyman III

This laptop features the Ryzen 5 4500U 6-core CPU with Vega graphics, 5 2500u (with integrated radeon vega 8 mobile GPU) processor and use Ubuntu 18.

0 Likes