cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Markos
Journeyman III

How to install official AMDGPU linux driver on Debian 11?

Hi,

Please, could someone suggest a tutorial (for a basic user) on how to install the driver for the graphics card for a laptop Lenovo IdeaPad S145 with AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500U and AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 running Debian 11 (Bullseye).

I found a more complete tutorial just for Stretch and Buster:

How to install official AMDGPU linux driver with kernel 4.19.x on Stretch and Buster 

What are the possible risks of problems using these AMD drivers?

Does using these AMD drivers make much difference in performance?

Thank you,

Markos

8 Replies
pioruns
Adept II

+1

Same problem here. Awaiting info how to install drivers on Debian 11.

Anything, AMD?

is there any update on this? i could not find the solution to install amdgpu drivers on debian 11 kernel 5.10.0-11-amd64. please help!

0 Likes

Hello AMD, any news??????????

Hello AMD, any news??????????

Edit: I thought this thread was a different one, sorry.

I got this working on Debian 11 by downgrading libffi7 to libffi6, which for some reason amdgpu depends on.

0 Likes
trungus
Journeyman III

You can use MX Linux, is Debian Stable based, has flavor called AHS which where you can opt for newer versions of kernels, mesa, firmware, etc.

I recommend the flavor "MX Linux KDE", it include the AHS repos, it's very user friendly, very performant and MX include a lot of tools for configuration and administration that simplify the day-to-day use.

Rigth now my system is a

• CPU/GPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
  • Motherboard: Asrock B550M-HDV
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4
  • Disk: 1TB M.2 NVMe
  • Kernel: 5.10

So far I have no issues at all.

Good luck

0 Likes

With debian configuring X isn't always straight forward, especially when the auto config system mismatches the the video, screen, etc hardware settings. Also depends on what Desktop and desktop support packages are currently installed. And documentation is hard to find and figure out what is current and what doesn't work anymore.

It is probably not easy to get amdgpu to startx if the auto config is not starting it.

when I tried switching from onboard intel to amdgpu in debian unstable my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file told me that my drm version was 2.25 and I needed version 3. So I'm upgrading libgl1-mesa-dri and dependencies, to the version in experimental to see if that gives me drm version 3, etc...

You can take a look at the documentation at ricks-lab

https://github.com/Ricks-Lab/gpu-utils

and the debian testing and unstable package is called rickslab-gpu-utils

it hasn't been backported to bullseye yet.

It might help getting your driver sorted.

0 Likes
lliw
Journeyman III

There are two methods to install amdgpu-dkms keep in mind once installed you are on your own as far as debian support is concerned since the amd*-dkms packages are no longer available in the official debian repos. They may still be available through one of the Debian multimedia developers ppa repos, but that would be up to any wishing to install the Debian unofficial andgpu-dkms package to find and add the ppa repo trust keys to the package manager in use. ie apt aptitude synaptic etc. .

To install the amdgpu-dkms package manually the debian package module-assistant and it's dependencies is needed. see this page module-assistant than you'll need to learn how to use it either by reading the man page or asking for help at the forums dot debian dot net or on IRC.

The automated way which is not much less complicated is by using the Debian official package called dkms and it's dependencies - see this page bullseye dkms package again, using dkms is not straight forward and to get help, one of the debian forums or asking in the #debian-users IRC channel is probably the best way to get the current howto for either dkms and / or module-assistant methods for installing the out of tree kernel modules included in the amdgpu-dkms package.

Plus +++ the entire process needs to be repeated every time the kernel is updated on the computer

The process is probably not recommended for the casual Debian user for many more reasons than listed in my first reply above.

0 Likes