cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jesmat
Adept I

How to install 20.3.1 or earlier drivers (only)

Please can someone help? I am still experiencing 5+ seconds black screen about 5 mins after booting my PC. I want to try installing 20.3.1 (or earlier) driver-only to try to cure the problem. But I can't see how to do it. I cannot 'roll back' the driver to 20.3.1 as it is a new PC and has never had a driver earlier than 20.4.1.

I have tried downloading 20.3.1 but it only gives the option for the full software package. The only drivers-only install I have managed to do is 20.4.1. Even the minimum install download for 20.3.1 only gives me the option of 20.4.1 (presumably it's a web link installation).

Can anyone advise how I can simply install driver-only (not the software package) for 20.3.1 or earlier. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, after the driver is extracted to c:\amd or whatever you choose,
Go to device manager at your display adapter, right click on your GPU (or micrososft basic display adapater) and select update driver, select where you extracted the driver( make sure to check include sub-folders) and that's about it. If this doesn't work idk what is wrong, it should work unless windows installed some newer drivers with windows update...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
yrpleut76
Adept II

you can launch .exe (files will be extracted from the Adrenalin installer)

abort install

go to device manager

update your graphic card driver manually (locate where your files were extracted. Generally C:/AMD or C:/ProgramFiles/AMD)

0 Likes

Thanks, I went to Update Driver and selected the folder (including subfolders) where 20.3.1 was extracted but it Windows 10 did not recognise any drivers in that folder.

0 Likes

That feature to install drivers only or to do minimal install was introduced in 21.4.1.

You can't do it in previous versions because it's not there.

Did you mean 21.3.1? 20.3.1 is pretty old...

0 Likes

Sorry. Yes I meant 21.3.1.

0 Likes

Yes, after the driver is extracted to c:\amd or whatever you choose,
Go to device manager at your display adapter, right click on your GPU (or micrososft basic display adapater) and select update driver, select where you extracted the driver( make sure to check include sub-folders) and that's about it. If this doesn't work idk what is wrong, it should work unless windows installed some newer drivers with windows update...

0 Likes

Thanks for this - I finally got my PC to install the old drivers. I uninstalled AMD Software and ran DDU. From Device Manager I searched for drivers in the AMD folder - but I had to drill down to select the DRIVERS folder (including subfolders) for Windows 10 to recognise and install the AMD driver. I've installed the last 20.X.X driver as I've read that 21.3.1 is still causing black screen and timeouts for some users.

With the 21.4.1 driver installed previously I got the black screen / timeout simply by opening a 15mb mp4 video file shortly after startup - which seems crazy for an RX550 graphics card and a Ryzen 5 3600 processor. I assume it some sort of driver conflict or software fault. Hopefully, rolling back to 20.X.X will resolve it permanently. It's a really poor reflection on AMD, with a number of posts on this forum reporting similar issues.

0 Likes