cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lphilpot
Journeyman III

How to either uninstall AMD Software Adrenalin Edition ONLY (not drivers) or disable auto-start?

Windows 11 Home

I used the AMD Auto-Detect and Install Tool to update my AMD drivers, which worked (fixed an OpenCL-related issue I was having in the 'darktable' raw photo editing package). Now if I attempt to launch AMD Software I get the PA-300 incompatibility error (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300). But that's not a problem. I'm not a gamer. I use my laptop for photo editing, so I don't want to enable anything that would affect color, resolution, etc. I'm running in Standard profile and all is OK operationally.  I don't care that the AMD software won't launch.

But... I'd like to at least disable its auto-start after reboot. Ideally I'd like to remove it ONLY without touching any of the new AMD drivers. I need the new drivers, just not the AMD software. But if I can disable auto-launch that'll be good enough.

Any pointers to where it's getting invoked? I've checked system and user Startup folders: nothing. In the registry, I checked the Run keys under local machine, current user and WOW6432: nothing. I looked for anything likely under software/AMD in local machine and current user: nothing. Where / how is it getting launched and how do I disable it?

As to uninstall, I have two AMD entries in Programs and Features - 'AMD Chipset Software' and 'AMD Software'. Is the latter just the application and if so, will uninstalling it (only) leave my new drivers intact?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Been a long time since i used uninstall from Prog. & Feat., but it used to not affect the driver.

May be better to choose Factory Reset & Driver only from the how to, https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rsx2-install

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Been a long time since i used uninstall from Prog. & Feat., but it used to not affect the driver.

May be better to choose Factory Reset & Driver only from the how to, https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rsx2-install

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Yeah, that's actually the page I followed when I installed it to start with. I'll take another look at the options for removal.

Although the updated drivers solved my previous darktable issue, I actually had a crash yesterday while I was editing an image. I was dragging a slider back and forth, watching changes to the image on the external monitor when it hung and the laptop's panel covered with a small pattern. Totally hung -- took the power button to restart. The last warning in the event log was "Display driver AMDKMDAG stopped responding and has successfully recovered." So I'm going to keep an eye on that for a few days before I do anything.

Thanks.

0 Likes