cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Halsy
Journeyman III

How do you find and roll back to an older driver?

Since updating to the latest drivers it's been nothing but constant freezes and hangs. Every time I open a webpage or another tab it's just hang city - 30 secs or more - and the AMD client brings up the crash report tool. I'm so sick of it I stopped sending them in after a dozen or so. These are the 21.61 - 6/21/2021 drivers. After they were crash city I went down to the WHQL 21.5.2 drivers and it's still the exact same thing - my card is an RX470 8GB btw.

Anyway, I had zero problems with the older drivers before these but AMDs driver page only shows the latest drivers. How do I get older drivers that work and get rid of these bloody things? Way to not QA this stuff AMD.

That and their early termination of support for older hardware now makes me deeply regret going AMD on my latest PC build - which was 6 months ago. And their not doing anything to stop scalpers and bots stealing all the new cards is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I've always supported AMD but I'm seriously rethinking this now. Point in fact I'll probably be getting an RTX 3080 now instead when they get back to actually being in stock and at MSRP. Smarten up AMD you're losing customers.

1 Solution
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @Halsy 

It depends if you did clean installs, then you will not be able to roll back, here is the link for you with previous RX 470 drivers:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/rade...

You probably did do this, but make sure you do a clean uninstall with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) with restarting your computer into Safe Mode and then using DDU to uninstall the driver.

The other trick is to use Device Manager -> Display Adapter, right-click RX 470, select Properties, then the Driver tab and there will be a button for "Roll Back Driver".

Edit:

I totally agree with you on them ending support to soon and a lack of QA, since I have been struggling with them to fix performance issues for four years shortly after I bought my RX 480. They lost their Unreal Engine 3 optimizations in 17.7.1 and have not fixed it since.

Kind regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @Halsy 

It depends if you did clean installs, then you will not be able to roll back, here is the link for you with previous RX 470 drivers:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/rade...

You probably did do this, but make sure you do a clean uninstall with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) with restarting your computer into Safe Mode and then using DDU to uninstall the driver.

The other trick is to use Device Manager -> Display Adapter, right-click RX 470, select Properties, then the Driver tab and there will be a button for "Roll Back Driver".

Edit:

I totally agree with you on them ending support to soon and a lack of QA, since I have been struggling with them to fix performance issues for four years shortly after I bought my RX 480. They lost their Unreal Engine 3 optimizations in 17.7.1 and have not fixed it since.

Kind regards

Thanks kindly for that.

Hi @Halsy 

Hope it helps you, if it does maybe mark it as a solution so that it can help someone else.

In contradiction, if it does not help hopefully someone else will have another suggestion.

Kind regards

Thank you @Halsy 

I am glad it helped!

0 Likes