cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thesalihkaya
Adept I

How can I solve the screen stuttering problem after I update my graphic card's driver?

This is a problem I have been facing for a while now.

Whenever I update my GPU's driver to the latest one, I receive screen stutters and mouse stutters every 5 seconds. When I downgrade it, it is fixed but this time I cannot use AMD Radeon Settings. In my case it is a lose-lose condition. I am on an HP Notebook - 15-af110nt (ENERGY STAR) and below are my specs.

Note: My gpu's integrated

CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.2 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon R5 M330

2GB Dedicated Memory

2048 MB Total Memory

GPU2: AMD Radeon R5(TM) Graphics

1GB Dedicated Memory

3GB Total Memory

RAM: 4GB

1 Solution
startledoctopus
Journeyman III

Just fixed this on my laptop so if anyone find this question seeking the same:

Installed a fresh version of Windows 10 on my 6 year old laptop, and Windows recognised my AMD display chipset, so installed the latest AMD drivers - which are AMD Adreneline.

Older chipsets can't run with Adreneline, so you've gotta uninstall AMD Adrenaline and find the AMD Catalyst drivers online.

Might help someone who was as lost as I was

View solution in original post

31 Replies

Hello, first of all, thank you very much for your interest in helping me.

I hesitate to inform you that I did all you asked but no progress. I rebooted in safe mode, ran DDU, even deleted the old drivers from C:/AMD folder, installed the driver that you showed in the picture(I was installing the regular R5 M330 driver before by the way, not the one you told me to download) but I still get those stutters. I am so sure if I downgrade to an older driver, the stutter problem will end but then I won't be able to use Radeon Settings. It is just so heartbreaking at this moment.

Edit: I reinstalled Windows 10, but still get the stuttering problem.

In my experience (I have a HP laptop with same specs) , the stuttering problem is linked to the discreet graphic card (R5 M330).

In fact, every time I tried to disable it from the device manager, the stuttering problem just disappeared.

Actually and unfortunately I found no way to disable it from the UEFI BIOS which would be a safer and more appropriate thing to do.
Still hoping this problem will be solved n 18.10.2 driver update but I keep being skeptical since I am now strongly persuaded it's an OEM mess, thus AMD can do very little to solve it.
Anyhoo, if they want to really solve it, they just should consider monitoring the issue on APU + discreet graphic card combinations.

0 Likes
xslayer
Adept I

i have same specs with updates 8 gb RAM so totally 12 GB of ram with same specs as thesalihkaya i  have tried installing almost all the driver and yet after amd 16.12.1 no driver is working or causes mouse lag every 5 sec mouse trails doesnt help too please fix the error amd.com cant install new games

0 Likes
xslayer
Adept I

did the problem solved yet ? anyone can help with this thing like i cant instal drivers after 16.12 that really feels bad for me welpp

0 Likes
shnoozin
Journeyman III

I am having the same problem on my Windows desktop: Windows 10 64bit, AMD Radeon RX 480/16GB RAM.  As soon as I update to the latest drivers (v 18.12.2), the screen begins to "stutter" every few seconds.  It seems to happen only when the mouse cursor is moving on screen.  When I roll back to the previous drivers I had installed, which I believe were also 16.12.1 (I hadn't updated in a LONG time), the stuttering stops.  But then I can't play some games like Forza 4 or Subnautica (Forza gives me an error saying I need to update drivers, Subnautica just crashes at launch).  I don't know if I have a discreet graphics card, but if so it sounds like there may not be a solution other than using an older driver?  Oh well.

0 Likes

Yeah u cant use the new drivers ive checked it the day i replied and asked some experts for the solution and they said the amd does drivers for new hardwares and the old one cannot adopt for it so we cant play those new games i blame amd for this totally thier fault that they did not create drivers for their old apu's too

thesalihkaya
Adept I

Hello guys, I guess we are all sharing the same fate here. I haven't tried updating to the newest driver after I reinstalled windows 10, and boy, am I afraid to do so  I highly believe the same exact problem will occur the moment I upgrade it. Today is 03.02.2019 and it is saddening me to see such a company like AMD has flaws in the help it is providing to its customers. But anyways, one of those who wrote under my post will be able to fix this and share it online so all AMD Stutterers Family will resolve it together and get our "happily ever after"  

Hey did u just found solution for it?

0 Likes

At this moment no solution has been provided.

I've read months ago that reverting Bios to legacy in some cases solved totally the problem but it's an extreme solution since it requires in almost all cases to reinstall Windows from scratch.

0 Likes

I also had this problem, especially using windows 10 32 bit. Apparently, Radeon HD 7470 is a dell oem hardware. Try searching for "Radeon HD 7470 driver" on google. Choose the Dell link and download  the driver.Uninstall the driver installed and restart computer. Install the dell driver and restart. I did this on dell dimension 5100c and it worked. Wa

0 Likes

Please note that this solution is for desktop pc.

@Emash wrote:

I also had this problem, especially using windows 10 32 bit. Apparently, Radeon HD 7470 is a dell oem hardware. Try searching for "Radeon HD 7470 driver" on google. Choose the Dell link and download  the driver.Uninstall the driver installed and restart computer. Install the dell driver and restart. I did this on dell dimension 5100c and it worked. 

0 Likes

Another side note. Before installing the Dell, my GPU used to appear as "7000's series" on DXDIAG

@Emash wrote:

Please note that this solution is for desktop pc.

@Emash wrote:

I also had this problem, especially using windows 10 32 bit. Apparently, Radeon HD 7470 is a dell oem hardware. Try searching for "Radeon HD 7470 driver" on google. Choose the Dell link and download  the driver.Uninstall the driver installed and restart computer. Install the dell driver and restart. I did this on dell dimension 5100c and it worked. 

. After the update the correct driver name is displayed.

0 Likes

This is the correct driver for your laptop. It is the only driver you install A8-7410 with Radeon™ R5 Graphics Drivers & Support | AMD 

https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

0 Likes

the given edition of drivers also dint work help us all

0 Likes
tbonegreen
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same problem on a desktop with an RX 480 and can't figure it out.
I'm forced to use Windows assigned drivers instead of the AMD drivers that I should be using.  
This is beyond frustrating.  It sounds like a lot of people are having the same issue.  I've tried full re-installs with no fix.

0 Likes
charan
Adept I

Same issue my Laptop is simply not usable , constant stuttering every few seconds.Frustrating! When disabling the R5 M330 it works fine enabling it gives constant stuttering. either i have to disable the drive or uninstall Amd Adrenalin software. 

0 Likes
thesalihkaya
Adept I

Hey again people. It is me, I am writing back because I wanted to update you guys about the subject. I haven't actually tried updating my driver, but I started having a blue-screen on the startup, which is "System Thread Exception Not Handled". This really gets under my skin now. I honestly want to solve this problem. One day when I was hanging around in Twitch, I saw a streamer who was trying to help his viewers' pc problems. I asked him about the issue and he said "Maybe updating you BIOS will help". I never thought of it before, checked HP's official site for the appropriate update, my current version was F.22 and on the site there is a newer version, which is "F.28 Rev.A". I tried installing it and update my BIOS but I got an error saying "BIOS Update Copy Process Failed". I so regret purchasing this crappy device, I wish I bought a desktop, it would make my life way easier. If anyone wants to volunteer helping me with the issue, I would really be grateful. I am ok talking privately, just hit me up. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Found a way though , yet haven't been playing any high-end games but works pretty good on ETS 2 and Minecraft  . Installing the latest AMD Adrenalin is the problem so do not install any latest AMD drivers , just install the AMD Driver that came along with the laptop, the driver should be available in the HP drivers website for your laptop model , initially when you install the AMD graphics from the HP drivers website it only installs the AMD catalyst installer package so you might need to check the file path where the AMD Catalyst installer package being extracted and go there as installing the AMD driver from HP drivers website only installs the driver and not the catalyst software where we might need to configure settings for various applications .you will AMD Catalyst control center installation setup there and you can install it, once you install it either after an restart or before restart don't remember exactly when you right click on the desktop screen you will two options 1. graphics properties , 2 . configure switchable graphics .. ! from there you can find all the options for gaming and other video settings and add applications that needs the switchable graphics and configure them . or AMD catalyst center will help change the settings .

Just don't install the AMD Adrenalin and keep the AMD catalyst .

Where can we talk in private? You got any social media account? I'd like to discuss more! I am excited by your reply!

0 Likes

i have sent a message here , check your inbox

0 Likes

if anyone is still having this problem try rolling back your display adapter drivers, it worked for me

I have problem with my AMD Radeon R5 Graphics driver on my HP Pavillion 500PC Series desktop. It enlarges the content of the screen. I have to uninstall it through  Device Manager and after that the screen  acceptable but then it once again reappears in 1-2 hours, so I have to reinstall it again and again.  I tried to down load the driver from HP but it did not help. 

startledoctopus
Journeyman III

Just fixed this on my laptop so if anyone find this question seeking the same:

Installed a fresh version of Windows 10 on my 6 year old laptop, and Windows recognised my AMD display chipset, so installed the latest AMD drivers - which are AMD Adreneline.

Older chipsets can't run with Adreneline, so you've gotta uninstall AMD Adrenaline and find the AMD Catalyst drivers online.

Might help someone who was as lost as I was

thats what everyone is doing using old drivers , we need to install new drivers so that we can also play new games at lowest setting it still runs tho !! even valorant is not running in my laptop because of old driver

0 Likes

If your specs are the same as stated in the main post, then I don't think it will run even with the newest drivers, my friend. 

0 Likes

Hey! i also have amd radeon r5 m330 driver & i am facing the same issue. can you please provide me a link to download a catalyst version.

0 Likes

I downloaded catalyst version from hp website but my laptop is still lagging!

0 Likes

Here follows now my way to solve this totally annoying problem.

I can confirm that "stuttering issue" also for an (SSD & RAM upgraded) HP Pavilion 15 n066ez Laptop (AMD A4-5000, Radeon HD 8330) under current Windows 10 build 20H2. All newer drivers seems to have this fundamental problem. I have most likely tried around two dozen drivers and finally I found a working one from 2017. Yes, this driver is also old but is far newer then all the other HP distributed on. It has version number 22.19.162.4 and can be found at the official Microsoft Update Catalog: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=hd+8330

Get the bigger package which has 297,6 MB. It should be noted that the newest Windows Update driver from August 2020 is also affected. So this results in a weird situation were you have "to fight" against Windows Update because it wants always to install that wrong driver automatically when you are online.

So a temporal workaround is to go offline, disconnect LAN and the WiFi after you have downloaded the above mentioned 22.19.162.4 AMD driver package.

It seems to be very important to remove all existing Radeon drivers, especially any newer one. Or you will be confronted after the next Windows 10 build upgrade again with the "stuttering problem". Windows usually always installs the newest available version of a driver, not any older one.

So after all AMD Radeon drivers are removed you should have the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter installed as main GPU.

1. Extract the downloaded 200045020_ae063ab581b46cc839b3ff566d13c99fa8d8be02.cab driver package to an empty folder like C:\AMD
  2. Go into the device manager, select the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and update the driver manually through the option "select from disk", where you chose the directory C:\AMD as source.
  3. The driver should be automatically installed and it should work properly without any issue.

However, the main danger lies in the fact that Windows may install sometimes automatically a newer, non properly functioning driver version. In such a case you have to select the "previous driver" option which should roll-back the driver to the last working version.

@amd_royIt would be really really great if this AMD-HP topic described here could be resolved within an upcoming "Windows Update Radeon WHQL driver release".

Whatever, as a final alternative there exist also the chance to migrate the system from Windows to Linux like Kubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have done this several times and this works AWESOME. No longer any driver worries!

0 Likes
thesalihkaya
Adept I

Hey guys, just to keep you all up to date, I actually had to return to catalyst in order to fix the problem. I know it sucks to return to older drivers but trust me, you would rather have a stable, properly functioning laptop rather than spending so much effort and time on this issue. I ended up buying a new laptop anyways but I used the old one with old drivers for couple of months. Just lower your expectations and you'll be good at this point. My recommendation would be saving money for a better PC and enjoy the one you have currently.

medosaad1998
Journeyman III

I found the solution for those still experiencing this issue, i have tried all possible ways overall the internet except the update my manufacturer bios. 
SOLUTION => These is the steps i had done
1. Uninstall the previously drivers through cleanUp utility AMD tool or control panel and removed (c:/AMD) folder.
2. Disabled firewall, remote desktop, windows defender, any other anti-virus and disconnect from WiFi.
3. Reboot the PC/laptop so changes can take effect.
4. Download AMD driver catalyst not Adrenalin from hp site not AMD (this is the main reason just download older version from hp which is catalyst). I used this link for my graphics (A6-6310 AMD R4 graphics) but it supports other graphics as well:
 https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74716.exe 
5. Install driver 
6. Then you will notice the change of your PC/Laptop to better when it flickers then reboot it to take changes.

Here's the solution from hp community:
Solved: Windows(OS) freezing when updating display driver - HP Support Community - 7476041 

0 Likes