cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rotterdamn
Journeyman III

how can I get Ryzen 5 2400G + Radeon RX Vega 11 to work with Radeon HD 5450 card?

Hi,

How do I get Ryzen 5 2400G + Radeon RX Vega 11 integrated graphics to work with an HD 5450 card? I can get either one to work but not both in Windows 10.

In particular, I recently bought and set these up:

ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics

with two monitors. That Asus has two display outputs, so everything worked.

But then I installed a Radeon 5450 graphics card to get an additional output for a projector. I got no output, and was told to run the AMD cleanup utility and reinstall the drivers. That worked for the projector, but it removed the Vega 11 drivers.

I uninstalled the Catalyst Software and reinstalled the Radeon RX Vega 11 drivers. So I'm back to the beginning.

So, how do I get both of these to work??

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 5xxx series graphics cards are considered Legacy..meaning no more support or drivers. The last working driver version was 15.7.1

This could make them incompatible with modern APU/processors.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

The 5xxx series graphics cards are considered Legacy..meaning no more support or drivers. The last working driver version was 15.7.1

This could make them incompatible with modern APU/processors.

Ok, I'll see if I can return it. Thanks.

0 Likes

That's a great processor with  excellent graphics ... check this chart for discrete cards and their performance > PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

0 Likes

Right, the Ryzen + APU are great. I only bought the HD 5450 for an additional output for a projector, to watch movies.

I could probably just use an HDMI splitter instead of an additional card, right? Because I don't always turn on the projector, and it would just be a duplicate of my main screen.

0 Likes

Out of my league...we'll see if elstaci​ has a answer

0 Likes

Your motherboard has two video outputs - one hdmi and the other Displayport.

You want to connect two monitors plus a projector?

You can probably connect both monitors if they both have native Displayport 1.2 with a MST hub and the Projector connected to the HDMI port.

Probably will need to install AMD EYEFINITY to get three monitors to work with two connected to MST via DP 1.2 port on the motherboard. Here is information about Eyefinity from AMD Support. Look at the bottom of the web page, under "SUPPORT" to see FAQ and Eyefinity Configuration guide: Multi-Display Eyefinity Technology | AMD​.

The Eyefinity Configuration and Setup link would probably be most useful in connecting the monitors to MST hubs.

This concerning Eyefinity from Wikipedia: AMD Eyefinity - Wikipedia :

AMD Eyefinity is a brand name for AMD video card products that support multi-monitor setups by integrating multiple (up to six) display controllers on one GPU.[1] AMD Eyefinity was introduced with the Radeon HD 5000 Series "Evergreen" in September 2009 and has been available on APUs and professional-grade graphics cards branded AMD FirePro as well.[2]

AMD Eyefinity supports a maximum of 2 non-DisplayPort displays (e.g., HDMI, DVI, VGA, DMS-59, VHDCI) (which AMD calls "legacy output") and up to 6 DisplayPort displays simultaneously using a single graphics card or APU. To feed more than two displays, the additional panels must have native DisplayPort support.[3] Alternatively active DisplayPort-to-DVI/HDMI/VGA adapters can be employed.[4]

In Wikipedia chart showing Max Monitors can be connected, it shows the Raven Ridge APU as TBA. But earlier APUs you can connect from 2 -4 monitors.

From Wikipedia concerning Display Port: DisplayPort - Wikipedia

Multi-Stream Transport (MST) [edit]

Multi-Stream Transport is a feature first introduced in the DisplayPort 1.2 standard which allows multiple independent displays to be driven from a single DP port on the source device. The displays can be connected using a hub, or by daisy-chaining, or any combination of the two. There's no technical difference between daisy-chaining and a hub, from a topology perspective they're both a branch device.[33](p130)[42] In less technical terms, a monitor capable of daisy-chaining is simply embedding a hub. Theoretically, up to 63 displays can be supported,[33](p20) but the combined data rate requirements of all the displays cannot exceed the limits of a single DP port (17.28 Gbit/s for a DP 1.2 port, or 25.92 Gbit/s for a DP 1.3/1.4 port). With the release of MST, standard single-display operation has been retroactively named "SST" mode (Single-Stream Transport).

Daisy-chaining is a feature that must be specifically supported by each intermediary display; not all DisplayPort 1.2 devices support it. Daisy-chaining requires a dedicated DisplayPort output port on the display. Standard DisplayPort input ports found on most displays cannot be used as a daisy-chain output. Only the last display in the daisy-chain does not need to support the feature specifically or have a DP output port. DisplayPort 1.1 displays can also be connected to MST hubs, and can be part of a DisplayPort daisy-chain if it is the last display in the chain.

The host system's software also needs to support MST for hubs and daisy-chains to work. While Microsoft Windows environments have full support for it, Appleoperating systems currently do not support MST hubs or DisplayPort daisy-chaining as of macOS 10.13 ("High Sierra").[43][44]

DisplayPort-to-DVI and DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters/cables will not function from a daisy-chain output port[citation needed]. They can, however, be used with DisplayPort MST hubs.

MST is supported by USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode, so standard DisplayPort daisy-chains and MST hubs do function from Type-C sources with a Type-C to DisplayPort adapter without any conversion.[45]

This link explains how to connect multiple Monitors to MST support Monitors: [DisplayPort Quick Guide] Daisy Chaining 2 to 4 Monitors - The World's Best PC Builder

Seems like the Ryzen 5 2400g Desktop supports three monitors if you use a Displayport 1.2 to MST connection. Found this website concerning this issue: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/268121-amd-2400g-dual-monitor

copied from link:

Allan_M_Systems 3 points 6 months ago

The 2400G does support multiple monitors (3).

Unfortunately, the DVI port on that motherboard is not suitable for a 1440P display.

Look for a motherboard with a displayport + HDMI port support this.

The GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-D3H is a good budget choice that will support a pair of 1440P displays.

If you select 1440P displays with built in MST hubs (many Dell displays support this), then you could drive both monitors from the single displayport (daisy chain).

Also this thread from Reddit that also says the Ryzen 5 2400g supports Three monitors: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/89ak26/2400g_4_displays_via_hdmi_displayport_with_mst_hub/

Copied from Reddit thread:

ch ithanh

R5 1600 | G.Skill F4-3466 | AB350M | HD68703 points·4 months ago

Raven Ridge has 4 display controllers, so is in principle capable of driving 4 monitors. This website maintained by the AMD Linux driver team confirms it:
https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

However, I was told by u/AMD_Robert that the mobile parts support 4 monitors and the desktop parts only support 3 monitors.
r/Amd/comments/7xaz70/video_amds_employees_talk_ryzen_vega_2x00g_apus/du7gkm4/

What happened to the fourth display controller in desktop RR I don't know - whether it doesn't exist at all (unlikely), or it is fused off (maybe), or is around but is "unqualified" (like ECC support), or there exists some limitation of the AM4 socket (dunno).

level 2

Wow, that's kinda bizarre. Yeah, wonder what happened to disable that extra display on desktop compared to mobile. Well, that's a bummer. I'll have to re-evaluate my build options. Too bad, the 2400G seemed like such a perfect fit for my needs and would have cut down on the price nicely.

level 3

chithanh

R5 1600 | G.Skill F4-3466 | AB350M | HD68705 points·4 months ago

I just asked the AMD developers on #radeon IRC about the comment by AMD_Robert, and I got the following response:

<agd5f> I think the asic has 4, but there may not be any designs that use all 4 for desktop (e.g., desktop boards may only have display 3 connectors). That's probably what he's talking about. I think 4 should work for MST

<agd5f> *3 display connectors

level 2

AMD_Robert

Technical Marketing1 point·4 months ago

It's the socket. It's not possible to pin out the fourth display

.chithanhR5 1600 | G.Skill F4-3466 | AB350M | HD68701 point·4 months ago

If the limitation is just the number of outputs on the mobo, does that mean a DisplayPort MST hub will allow 4 monitors with Raven Ridge?

level 4

AMD_Robert

Technical Marketing1 point·4 months ago

It means the desktop part only supports three displays. Period.

I would open an AMD EMAIL SUPPORT and ask to validate the above information concerning the Maximum monitors that can be connected to Raven Ridge APUs. You can open one from here : Email Form

0 Likes

I gave you a lot of information. I imagine most of it you are already aware of.

Best bet is to email AMD Support and verify that the Raven Ridge APUs Desktop can support three monitors. If they say yes than you just need to get a MST HUB and have two DP 1.2 Monitors connected to it using Eyefinity.

You can ask AMD Support if you do need Eyefinity to able to view DP - MST hub connections to two monitors connected.

If the monitors doesn't have native DP 1.2 ports then you will need to acquire "ACTIVE DP - HDMI" Adapters for the monitors to work with Eyefinity and MST.