cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mixhell
Adept I

Higher-than-expected idle VRAM clock speeds on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs - STILL NOT FIXED

Hi,

Yesterday I just updated to Adrenalin Edition 22.11.1 and realized that I have high idle VRAM clock on my RX 6600 for months!

Although, the driver changelog says that this issue is fixed, but it isn't. I also noticed that I have higher idle temperature.

Reading in the r/AMD subreddit, people say that this is pretty old issue which still isn't fixed. So, there is a big possibility that the issue persisted since I bought the card.

The only resolutions that I've found so far are:

• Set the primary monitor refresh rate from 144Hz to 100Hz
  • Or disconnect the second monitor

When I turn down the refresh rate, the GPU temperatures goes from 57c to 36c, and VRAM clock sits at 50-60Mhz.

I am using AOC 24G2U 24" 144Hz IPS FHD and BenQ GW2480 24" 60Hz IPS FHD connected via DP cable.

I'm not sure if anyone has opened a thread about this problem yet, but I'm hoping to get some sort of response from AMD.

Cheers,

0 Likes
1 Solution
mixhell
Adept I

I managed to fix the issue with the VRAM clock.

I created custom resolution with CVT-RB Standard timing via CRU and now the VRAM clock is down to 50-80Hz and the temperature is down from 58c to 37c on idle.

1. Download CRU and run it with admin privileges

2. From the "Detailed resolutions" field, select the best resolution and refresh rate for your monitor and click "Edit"

3. Set the "Timing" to "CVT-RB Standard" and click "OK"

4. Click "OK" again on the main screen to save and close CRU

5. Restart the PC

Screenshots for proof:
CRU Settings
Adrenaline metrics after setting up the custom resolution

Monitor setup:
AOC 24G2U 24" FHD @ 144 Hz / connected via DP
BenQGW2480 24" FHD @ 60 Hz / connected via DP

I hope this works for you.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Even though i am not having multimonitor setup myself, i can confirm with help of others, that problem still persists. 
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22-11-1-driver-download-and-discuss...

I'm sorry to hear that mate.

Now I'm sure that I have this issue since I bought the GPU, and it drives me crazy because it's not still fixed.

Yeah, I can live with 100Hz for now but It's disappointing that I cannot use my monitor at 144Hz.

0 Likes

Well, as i said, i don't have this issue, as i don't have multiple monitors to connect. 
But people i referred to have this problem and look for workaround currently. 

I am on other side looking for workaround to different type of problem. 

Ah right, gotcha.

I can see that the issue is widespread, lot of guys on Reddit reported that they have high VRAM clock with multi-monitor setup.

Ater hours of searching, I'm still unable to find any fix other than ones that I mentioned on this thread.

0 Likes
mixhell
Adept I

I managed to fix the issue with the VRAM clock.

I created custom resolution with CVT-RB Standard timing via CRU and now the VRAM clock is down to 50-80Hz and the temperature is down from 58c to 37c on idle.

1. Download CRU and run it with admin privileges

2. From the "Detailed resolutions" field, select the best resolution and refresh rate for your monitor and click "Edit"

3. Set the "Timing" to "CVT-RB Standard" and click "OK"

4. Click "OK" again on the main screen to save and close CRU

5. Restart the PC

Screenshots for proof:
CRU Settings
Adrenaline metrics after setting up the custom resolution

Monitor setup:
AOC 24G2U 24" FHD @ 144 Hz / connected via DP
BenQGW2480 24" FHD @ 60 Hz / connected via DP

I hope this works for you.

This did not work for me.

0 Likes
kyton
Adept III

I too am getting the Vram at full speed at idle. I have tried 22.11.1 and 22.10.3. It was fine until I changed the screens.

I had a LG 234ips LED 1080P/ 60hz and Dell s2421hn 1080P/75hz. Worked fine.

Now i have a Dell SE2723DS 1440P/75hz with the Dell s2421hn 1080P/75hz. It will only downclock if i switch the Dell SE2723DS 1440P/75hz to be at 60hz.

Bit of a pin to keep changing frequency if I want to game.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the fix that I found makes gaming worse.

I am getting black screen and "Input No Support" message on my primary screen when I play games.

0 Likes
kyton
Adept III

Did some more testing with my multiple-screen setup.

Seems if I change the Dell SE2723DS 1440P to 60hz then it steps down the VRAM clock.

Even if I have the Dell SE2723DS 1440P screen by itself at 75hz with no other monitors connected it still idles high until I select 60hz.

So looks like it is a 75hz issue may be within the drivers.

0 Likes
kyton
Adept III

Issue still persists on WHQL version

kyton
Adept III

Latest drivers looks like it is now listed as a know issue.

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high resolution and high refresh rate displays.
0 Likes