Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

edwouldgo
Adept I

Re: High Vram Clock always!!!

Jump to solution

I'm using a 6700xt so some what limited to how far back i can go with drivers sadly.

In my case they have all had this bug, so yeah its still an issue at least for me on the latest drivers currently  21.6.2 of writing.

What i can tell you is i've tried alot of methods to no avail.

My options are running a custom fan curve to keep the temps in check while idle. 

Letting the card idle at 50C + on desktop.

Creating a custom resoloution in adrenaline and setting the timing standard to CVT- Reduced Blanking.

Messing with CRU - did not work for me.

All options are not ideal as longevity of fans now come into play, longevity of the ram if running so hot and when I create a custom resoloution my drivers force my monitor to 6bit.

My advice to you if you don't need the feture set of the latest drivers just stay on a driver that works.

Hope i've been of some help.

0 Likes
Granola
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply and advice! Is there an older driver that you recommend that won’t have this issue? I’ve uninstalled my driver and software using the built in uninstaller a couple of times and have tried different versions of the driver, but I still have the issue. I can’t remember the last driver that doesn’t give this issue. I would also like to mention that I think the temp readings might be incorrect because when I open more applications the temp isn’t affected at all, and even upon the gpu going up in temp while idle, the glass of my pc doesn’t feel any warmer than it was when first booted. Thanks!

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Jump to solution

Ive complained about it at the end of 2019. Still they didn't fix it and they admit the behavior is normal. Plugging nvidia gpu to the same monitor = downlocking vram, plugging amd to the same monitor = vram at full. 

It's nice to have your vram burning all the time. I wouldn't buy any used AMD GPU after warranty period because of this potential problem. 

sando
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

yo man

I have a 5700xt anniversary edition and noticed the VRAM clocks maxed out as well after I updated. Rolling back to 20.4.2 fixed it for me. 

I hope that helps

0 Likes
Granola
Adept I

Jump to solution

Do you mean you went back to 21.4.2? If not and you mean 20.4.2 then I can’t go that far back in drivers so I won’t be able to try that. Thanks for the help tho.

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Jump to solution

I would have to be nuts to go back to 20.4.2.

edwouldgo
Adept I

Jump to solution

People with newer cards can only roll back drivers so far so that may not be an option. 

Worse yet if rolling back a driver fixes the issue then im going to call amd out on there claim its normal behaviour.

I know we flock to posts more often when theres an issue and there will be people with out this issue but surely amd need to come to the table and at least look into this by the sheer number of posts alone.

rainingtacco
Challenger

Jump to solution

They've looked at it and made reponsse. AMD Matt or some other amd employee said the behavior is normal and expected. He didn't say it was a bug. Case closed for AMD.

0 Likes
Granola
Adept I

Jump to solution

Even if it isn’t a bug and is expected behavior I just find it very strange that my gpu is running 20 degrees Celsius hotter at idle. 

rainingtacco
Challenger

Jump to solution

What do you expected to hear from AMD employe? That it's a bug that we don't know how to tackle so you will have to endure it? This is not how todays marketing work, the employee would be fired on the spot.