Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hossam1basha
Adept I

High Resource Consumption DuplicateDesktop.exe

Hey,

I recently updated my R7 M445 on my laptop to the latest AMD radeon adrenalin 2020 software, at first update i had a really bad drop in performance and i was adviced to use DDU and then do a fresh installation of amd software, i did that and the performance problem is dealt with but now i got a new problem.

whenever i launch a game a .exe with the name DuplicateDesktop.exe runs too and i did open file location and it's from AMD software as shown in attached pictures and it uses about 31-40% of my CPU and gives me a ton of lag,

whenever i end the task the lag stops but then i can't open AMD software unless i restart the laptop

please if there's anyway to stop this exe from opening without affecting the AMD software please advice me what to do

EDIT: RUNNING DDU AND INSTALLING AMD SOFTWARE 20.1.1 OR HIGHER FIXES IT 

Thanks.

26 Replies
matijus
Adept I

Hi, i have the same problem. Maybe someone help us  

Hopefully

hereticc
Adept I

Same here. Freshly installed win10 system, Adrenalin 19.12.2

DuplicateDesktop.exe also consumes 40% CPU. I have no multiple display configured. I have no multiple displays at all.

GPU AMD Radeon R9 M200X Series

Notebook Dell inspiron 5737

gmjohnston
Journeyman III

Me too. Just yesterday I upgraded to AMD radeon adrenalin 2020 on my Dell laptop and now it's eatint CPU cycles like crazy.

hlololo
Journeyman III

I have also the same problem

0 Likes
hereticc
Adept I

Ending problem process in task manager temporary solves problem, process don't restart.

0 Likes

Yes. Only temporarily. The process showed up eating my CPU up again some time after reboot.

nicolaschirila
Journeyman III

me pasa lo mismo cada vez que inicio el software de amd me consume 25% de CPU. Al poco tiempo de que inicio un juego me aparece duplicatedesktop.exe usando otros 24% mas del CPU. lo unico que puedo hacer es finalizarlas para poder usar la noot normal. Pero al poco tiempo se vuelve a iniciar Duplicatetdesktop.exe . 

En fin si o si tengo q tener el administrador de tareas abierto para ver q no se inicien y esto me impide poder jugar mis juegos online tranquilamente 

AMD POR FAVOR ARREGLEN ESTO !!!

0 Likes
sctale
Journeyman III

Same here! After update 80% CPU for DuplicateDesktop.exe R7 M445

There is an small free program called AUTORUNS. With that program you can disable/delete whatever startup you want permanently or temporarily to prevent it from running.

You can read about the program and download from here: Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs 

Good idea

0 Likes

I would suggest just to "disable" rather than delete the entry. Just in case that entry affects other features of the AMD Driver. If it doesn't then go ahead and delete.

o_miay
Journeyman III

Hot fix:

Rename file DuplicateDesktop.exe as _DuplicateDesktop.exe_

did it work for you?

0 Likes

Renaming the .exe file is similar to deleting it. I suggest to disable it first to make sure it doesn't affect any other AMD features that you may want to have working. If it doesn't than you can rename it which is safer than actually deleting the file.

Rename works for me very good. Thanks. 

The drawback is that this shows up now when I connect an external screen.pastedImage_1.png

Yeh... same here but i think its better then consumes 30% cpu and fan all time work hard. Only w8 for update  

0 Likes
liseyy
Journeyman III

Try to kill the "AMDRSServ.exe", the "DuplicateDesktop.exe" will also be killed.

0 Likes
blackygh
Journeyman III

Same problem here. I hope they get a permanent fix for this issue

0 Likes
hereticc
Adept I

So where is the **cking developer reaction?

0 Likes
step1
Journeyman III

I'm getting the same problem, I have a Radeon R7 M440.

0 Likes
endless_b
Journeyman III

There is no reaction on absoutely clear things: RadeonSettings.exe & DuplicateDesktop.exe since last update (Adrenalin 2020) steal your CPU usage, time & as result money! No honest answers from support, only scripted advices (check your settings, update your software and other)!

0 Likes
matijus
Adept I

Today was an update. Works fine now !!!!!!  

yep fixed

0 Likes

Would you elaborate which update you had to fix that?  I had the most updated Radeon driver but still had that problem.

0 Likes