cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sreams
Journeyman III

High DPC latency / CPU spikes when moving mouse into text fields using 5900HX iGPU

I have a new ASUS ROG Strix G17 laptop. It has a Ryzen 5900HX CPU with iGPU. It also has an nVidia GeForce RTX 3070. The laptop has nVidia Optimus, so all graphics are routed through the iGPU.

I do professional audio work with this machine, including live shows where low-latency is very important. I currently run Cakewalk as my audio host.

When operating at low latency, there are consistent glitches in the audio whenever the mouse cursor moves into a text field. It happens within Cakewalk's text fields, but also within the text fields of virtually any other software running at the same time (including Notepad).

There is an excellent tool called "LatencyMon" that measures DPC latency and helps to narrow down the cause. If I run this tool (even without any audio software running), I can see large DPC execution time spikes whenever the mouse cursor moves into a text field. LatencyMon reports that the spike is occurring in dxgkrnl.sys.

If I "update" the Radeon driver to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, the problem with text fields disappears (although the basic driver performs terribly otherwise).

This appears to be a bug in the Radeon driver. I've tried every version available from AMD for this iGPU, and all perform the same way.

0 Likes
0 Replies