cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

silveramd
Journeyman III

High Definition Audio-Controller Code 10 can't start device and Task Host Window Error preventing Restarts and Freezing Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

Jump to solution

Hello,

I just gave up. i can't anymore. i have completly reinstalled Windows 10 64bit at least a hundred times in the past few months and every time i got this annoying error.

when i get this error i can't use the start menu and taskbar anymore, it's all frozen and i can't restart. all i can do is logout and login again and then i can use Windows for a short time.

now it's enough, if this error is not fixed i will sell my amd cpu, the two amd gpu's, the amd motherboard and go with the green team and will never again look back.

My software and hardware is:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1709 Build 16299.15 and all updates installed!

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero with newest bios/uefi.

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor

Gpu: 2 x XFX Radeon R9 Fury X

I tried all the drivers.

i tried the drivers from the original motherboard dvd and the drivers from the original XFX gpu dvd.

i tried the drivers from the Asus motherboard website. ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO Driver & Tools| Mainboards | ASUS Deutschland

i tried the drivers from windows update.

i tried the drivers from the Amd website. http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/desktop?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

nothing works! Windows is refusing every driver!

I'm now trying the minimal setup, without the Amd HDMI driver and i have disabled all audio devices but still Windows or the Crimson aktivates the devices and installs wrong drivers.

Ok i have to restart now. i will reply back.

Edit. This is weird, the setup is finished but there is no button for restart now in the driver menu?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Edit2: Again this device driver error.

This are the 3 drivers of High Definition Audio Controller.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elstaci
MVP

Re: High Definition Audio-Controller Code 10 can't start device and Task Host Window Error preventing Restarts and Freezing Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

Jump to solution

This link concerns only about the Start Button not working: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-...

As for your audio, You only can have one Default Audio device at a time. when you disconnect that Default Audio, Windows goes to the next connected Default Audio device. I would make sure that Sound Panel has your Default Audio device under AMD driver. I imagine you can have two Default Audio devices, one using AMD driver and the other using Realtek driver. But I am not sure about that statement thou.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
silveramd
Journeyman III

Re: High Definition Audio-Controller Code 10 can't start device and Task Host Window Error preventing Restarts and Freezing Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

Jump to solution

*bump*

anyone any ideas what the culprit is?

i just reinstalled again Windows 10 pro 64bit and the 3 high Definition Audio Controllers in the device Manager are error free and working fine.

i have Windows Sound but as soon as i install any amd gpu Driver one of them Fails with the Code 10 device cannot be started error.

but i have Sound in Windows and i can Change in the realtek Sound Manager from Stereo to surround Sound and everything Sound related works fine.

what is making the Problems here???

i'm trying now to locate the Problem, swapping Hardware like Monitor, gpu's, changing the displayport cable with HDMI cable, removing one fury x gpu, try different Drivers even Drivers for Windows 7, maybe it has something to do with the Play post Sound in the bios maybe it's the onboard motherboard mini speaker? i Need to check maybe i could find a beta uefi bios for the crosshair vi hero. deactivate crossfire for the two gpu's would be another Option i already tried.

if nothing works, i will start to slowly replace the Hardware, starting first with the two fury x gpu's but i'm too scared to buy another amd product. no i will go green, sorry enough is enough. it's since months now i have this Problem. i think since i bought the fury x. i never noticed the Problem before because i had Windows 7 with a more stable gpu Independent start menu and taskbar.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

This link concerns only about the Start Button not working: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-...

As for your audio, You only can have one Default Audio device at a time. when you disconnect that Default Audio, Windows goes to the next connected Default Audio device. I would make sure that Sound Panel has your Default Audio device under AMD driver. I imagine you can have two Default Audio devices, one using AMD driver and the other using Realtek driver. But I am not sure about that statement thou.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
silveramd
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I think i have found the CULPRIT!!!

the culprit's name is EnableUlps

Quote:

Anyone that has troubleshooted problems with AMD/ATI graphics card crossfire configurations will probably know about Ultra Low Power State (ULPS). ULPS is a sleep state that lowers the frequencies and voltages of non-primary cards in an attempt to save power. This holds true for single card users as well. The downside of ULPS is that is can cause performance loss and some crossfire instability. This also holds true for laptops with or without crossfire and can increase performance, but will use more battery power.

You can disable this feature manually by entering regedit , select EDIT at the top of the page , enter ULPS in the 'find what' box , then click 'find next' to search for all instances of of 'Enable ULPS' (there will be several with crossfire). Each time  a instance is found , change the default value of "1" to a "0" then at EDIT again choose 'find next' until there are no more.

Important: Do not change the registry item 'EnableUlps_NA' ...leave it at it's current setting.

Installing new drivers will revert the settings to default...'1' = On.  Remember to repeat these steps after uninstalling/installing new drivers.

End of Quote

i have just disabled every entry in the registry of EnableUlps and restarted windows a dozen times and the error is gone!

the problem is in a crossfire setup, the second card shuts down unless it is needed (even the fans stop spinning). this is called ULPS.

stupid windows 10 sees that second audio bus as malfunctioning but it is not!

if you want to get rid of that warning, disable ULPS and reboot. the warning will no longer be there and windows 10 startmenu and taskbar will not freeze.

here is what to do, right click the windows 10 start button, select run and enter "regedit".

regedit.jpg

now in the registry click search for "EnableULPS" and change the value to "0" on all EnableUlps entrys in the registry. click F3 to search further for all entrys.

do not disable any other EnableUlps entrys like "EnableUlps_NA" only disable "EnableUlps"!

EnableUlps.jpg

the alternative is a small application called RadeonMod Version 1.0.16 it can be found here error-soft.net - Login http://error-soft.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5657

direct download link http://www.static.error-soft.net/download/download.php?filename=RadeonMod_1.0.16.zip

here is a screenshot of RadeonMod

RadeonMod.jpg

you have to disable EnableUlps on both gpu's in RadeonMod.

now my Code 10 error is gone.

No Code 10.jpg

Here are all the places where i have found EnableUlps in the registry in Windows 10.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"EnableUlps"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{845E3EF5-ED6B-11E7-94C4-875E5E58679C}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{845E3EF5-ED6B-11E7-94C4-875E5E58679C}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{845E3EF5-ED6B-11E7-94C4-875E5E58679C}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{845E3EF5-ED6B-11E7-94C4-875E5E58679C}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{845E3EF5-ED6B-11E7-94C4-875E5E58679C}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{845E3EF5-ED6B-11E7-94C4-875E5E58679C}\0005]

i'm now thinking to upgrade my gpu crossfire setup to two AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled. i like the aio water cooler and the red led radeon typing on the gpu and i could improve my fps by around 50%. my two fury x they sell around 300-400 euro as used gpu on ibeh, so i could add around the same cash i get for my old gpus's and get the newest toys. the only question i have is will two AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled bottleneck a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Cpu???

P.S. Happy New Year 2018 AMD and AMD Fanboys

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

Good troubleshooting. Should mark the thread as "Answered".

0 Likes
silveramd
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your helpful answer. i did what you have said, i have only enabled the sound devices i really use. i use a 5.1 surround gaming headset connected to the real panel of my motherboard. my monitor has stereo speakers but i don't use them.

here is how my sound setup is

Sound.jpg

as you can see i have deactivated every other sound device, because i don't need them and don't use them.

however in the realtek hd audio manager is a option to enable simultaneous pass through of both audio signals.

Sound2.jpg

as for the start menu not working thank you for the link, but the start menu and task bar freezes was only because of the activated EnableUlps setting in the registry. after i have disabled EnableUlps, the High Definition Audio Controller Code 10 error in the device manager was gone (because stupid windows 10 could "see" again the gpu sound device again, the device (fury x gpu's) wasn't anymore in energy saving sleep state) and the startmenu and taskbar freezes too.

thank you again so much and a Happy New Year 2018

0 Likes
silveramd
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I marked it. Thank you so much and a Happy New Year 2018 to you and all AMD community.

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

Jump to solution

We have to disable EnableUlps  in order for start menu to work again? Are you serious right now?

Because i have this start menu problem in RS3 and i cant find any fix at all.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

In his case he was using two Fury X GPU in crossfire that was causing the problem with the start button and taskbar.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

Great, but you never mentioned the size of your computer's PSU unit. You will need at LEAST a 1500 watt PSU to run two liquid cooled Vega64 in Crossfire. Here is a link from a website that show the minimum PSU you need for Total PSU wattage to run various GPU's.: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX

0 Likes