High definition audio bus

PSU : Coolermaster 650W  

GPU: Asus Rx-460 4gb  

Bios: Latest P 7.10

Mobo: Asrock H170M Pro4

Driver: 18.9.3

Ram: 16gb DRR4

CPU: Intel i5-6500

Yesterday i update my drivers to the latest recommended 18.9.3, i was on 19.9.2 and problem came up. Seems like a bug to me but every time i restart the pc or booting from shutdown

i see that a driver high definition audio bus keeps instailling automatically. Sometimes windows pops up a message that i have to restart the pc in order to install the driver. No problem with 19.9.2. Found a threat that this is happening also in 18.10... version. Haven't tried the latest 19.11.1. I don't have any problem with the audio. I'm using the motherbord sound card so i don't know if there is problem using HDMI audio output.Thank you

0 Likes
35 Replies
bostonjunk
Adept I

I have exactly the same problem - I haven't been able to find much info, but there was one website that I can't find again that describred the same issue with a different driver.

Essentially there 2 drivers for the same device - Windows seems to have a driver called "High Definition Audio Controller". As Windows' driver is newer (dated 14/09/18) than AMD's (dated 11/06/18) it keeps getting installed automatically when Windows starts, but when the AMD services load, they install AMD's older driver which triggers the request for a restart. Rinse and repeat.

I've been trying to sort this out since I installed the 1809 Windows update. I've run DDU countless times. The only 'workaround' I've found is to completely disable automatic driver installs, but it's not really a fix. As soon as automatic driver installs are activated it starts again.

Glad to hear that, cause I talked with amd support and they told me that I have to run ddu to stop any driver conflict. I don't know how we can fix that did you try the latest 18.11.2 maybe they fixed it? By the way the 18.11.1 has the same issue.

0 Likes

Yep, just updated to 18.9.3 today, and started having the same problem. listening to the "war" during install was certainly interesting/annoying.

The previous version I was using was an 18.8 version. Is there any way to roll back? I used the express upgrade option.

0 Likes
gabzi
Adept I

Same problem for me.After 1809 windows update,every time after restart i get a message (your pc needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device high definition audio bus) I have 18.11.2 update and before windows 1809 everything was working fine.

0 Likes

The new 1809 release is just as buggy as the first....

Microsoft Windows 1809 (new) Update Breaks Windows Media Player, File Associations

0 Likes

What about 1803 version of Windows 10 is it buggy too? Or the latest drivers are buggy? I don't blame amd cause it is not a serious issue but it's very annoying looking at reliability monitor 4 times at least that audio installed. I hope in the next driver to see that issue as a fixed

0 Likes

Windows Update is what is screwing you up.

Do this:

Disable Fast Startup In Windows 10. You can google this. You don't need it, it makes nearly no difference in most peoples startup speed and causes a lot of problems IMHO. This will help to clean the slate for your upcoming installs. With fast startup enabled it caches old drivers and even though you uninstalled them the still load from the old cache.

Download the drivers you want and DDU. You need the Realtek Audio driver and AMD driver.

Disable the internet. This is a must as it will keep Windows update from screwing with you driver installs.

Now install the Realtek audio driver. This will take to boots. One to remove the old and the second and a restart to install the new.

Once the new audio driver is in, reboot to safe mode.

Run DDU from safe mode, yes must be from safe mode, read the install notes that come with it.  Get it from WagnardSoft_com.

Disconnect from the internet. ( this is the key as it is Windows update screwing up the driver and causing the loop)

Restart, and install the AMD driver.

Restart with internet back on and you should be good to go.

---------

AMD can't fix this issue as it is Microsoft messing it up. It happens on all kinds of drivers I install as an IT pro, it is a nightmare trying to get Windows 10 to let you install the driver you wan't for networking especially.

So, basically it's more the fact that the drivers are being changed that causes windows to do this? I didn't have any problems until I started installing new drivers, and the war between Windows and the Radeon Started.

Now, I have a Dell 5675 "Gaming Laptop" with a Ryzen 5 1400. Should I install the Dell audio drivers, or get ones directly from realtek? I can't remember what type of audio processor they threw into that model.

0 Likes

On laptops I would always get the latest drivers from the laptop maker so in your case, yes Dell. Laptops very often don't follow reference designs and as such they modify the vanilla drivers to work correctly. Drivers from AMD or Realtek because of this, may not have any changes made and required by Dell.

it's a desktop, but I just went to the dell website and picked them up. They may just use the realtek drivers. Now to just hope that they don't get uninstalled later. Right now I seem to have things going and working right again.

0 Likes

Ok, finally got around the following the procedure. All seems to be good now. My audio is working properly, no more wars and constant re-installing.

Now I just need to remember not to turn fast boot back on.

Awesome!

0 Likes

How can I ONLY delete the AMD audio driver is AMD-UWP wired with it?

0 Likes

I don't have the issue with 1803/1809, but I have windows device driver update disabled/blocked.

People with the problem should also report it MS.

You could try disabling the offending drivers as a temp. workaround(trial & error scenario).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
bloodykinggr
Adept II

I remember when the fall creators update came out there was a problem with 3-4 or even more radeon settings running in the backround. And then they were blaming MS for that because the continity feature. In the end amd came up with a driver with a solution and the problem was as a fixed issue in the notes I hope they will do the same thing with this one

0 Likes
shadow07
Adept III

Disable High definition in DM...…...

0 Likes

Not working for me.It enables itself after startup.

gabzi
Adept I

Last windows update just fixed it for me.

Edit:Never mind,just started again.So windows update didn't fix it,sorry.

bloodykinggr
Adept II

Any news with the latest 18.12.2-18.12.3? is the problem solved?

0 Likes

If your Windows is up to date.

If your run DDU from Safe Mode.

If you Reboot with NO INTERNET.

Then install your latest Raeon Driver.

You should be fine.

This issues has been apparently a dual issue, with AMD and WINDOWS UPDATE INTERFERING WITH DRIVER INSTALL.

So disconnecting Internet is crucial to success.

For me new 18.12.3 radeon update fixed it.

Good news,despite the fact that it's not as a fixed issue. Thanks!

0 Likes

Yeah. After a few weeks of smooth sailing, I'm getting that old ""your pc needs to restart to finish installing HD audio bus" and my computer can no longer detect when I plug in headphones.

I have not made any changes to the installed drivers, and have not updated my radeon drivers at all. ugh frustrating. At least I barely use headphones, but it is still annoying.

0 Likes

Actually, it turned out fine. Still working. There are new Radeon drivers out now, but I'm gonna hold off on installation.

0 Likes

I'll probably let you know in a few days, when I get motivated to deal with the issue again. It's just annoying.  I'm also not sure at all why installing Radeon Drivers causes windows to declare war on the audio bus drivers. Maybe for the HDMI output?

0 Likes
bloodykinggr
Adept II

I just update the windows 10 to 1809 still with 18.11.1 driver without the ethernet cable plugged in and the problem seems to be solved. No notifications for restart no events in reliability monitor. I will update when windows update check for anything new.

Edit:No, same old after windows update did some updates

bloodykinggr
Adept II

Let's hope that they will fix it soon. My question is that despite the fact that they know about that problem it's not as a known issue in driver notes

0 Likes
johnyc
Adept I

Is there a way to disable the audio device via GPU bios much like you could for a motherboards onboard audio?? I use a separate USB3 audio device and dont need this crap reinstalling every damn time i boot my system

0 Likes

Not through the bios, but you could disable that hardware in the device manager.

0 Likes

I do disable in device manager but it reactivates when I restart the computer!

0 Likes
bloodykinggr
Adept II

The latest 19.1.1 driver is still bugged. I guess we have to live with that they will never fixed it and its not even mention as a known issue

0 Likes
neallord
Adept I

After installing the default 17.1.1 driver through Windows 10 update the message disappeared. It's definitely related to the new drivers.

0 Likes

Report it to AMD, is about all you can do:  Online Service Request | AMD

0 Likes
gabzi
Adept I

Microsoft has new high definition audio bus driver.Device manager and manually update high definition audio bus driver to 18.41.0.0 from 1.8.2019

0 Likes
jebrossard
Adept I

0 Likes