Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mr2ben
Adept I

High cpu utilization with driver 20.5.1

Dear all,

I have some issues. 

As you can see in the screen shot the "radeon software application" is still between 20 and 30% for nothing...Even at idle on windows...

I know there was some issues in the past with this behavior... But i don't find any solutions to remove this issue...

My configuration:

I5 7500

Powercolor red devil RX 580 8gb

AMD drivers 20.5.1

Thanks a lot in advance.

10 Replies
robes
Adept I

There's a thread on it here you can have a look at

Adrenalin 2020 Driver consuming High CPU Usage 

The simplest solution you should try first -

Go to my computer > Videos folder and create folder named "Radeon ReLive"

After that, kill Radeon Software from task manager and open it again.

I don't know if it's the same folder location for you (screenshot is a French system?), you can generate the folder from inside Radeon Software as well - 3 will reset to default.snap.png

I had to solve this a slightly different way - very annoying bug. Hope that helps.

have already thried that and it change nothings... 

(I have tried that with another file name too...)

0 Likes

Good, that's one down.

I fixed this problem a different way since this solution also did not work for me. In my case it was caused by a specific broken Gaming profile (under the Gaming tab with the list of profiles). I believe the software populates from certain registry entries and it will aggressively scan for those programs after boot.

What I found had happened : I had moved a game folder off-disk to my storage drive, without uninstalling it. This caused Radeonsoftware.exe to scan non-stop for the game (about 3000 times per second, ~10% of CPU, 70% of all system activity). Deleting the profile and terminating / restarting Radeonsoftware.exe will temporarily resolve the problem, but it will recreate the profile from the registry entries after reboot. I've had a month of this without even realising (facepalm).

I presume you're a gamer from the 580? This may give you an angle to test (the software will also profile other programs, it has my browser for instance). I did my testing with Process Monitor, which might help you even if this isn't the solution for you.

You can grab Process Monitor from here if you don't have it -> Process Monitor

Thank you !! It's Worked !

For me, it is AC Odyssey.

@robes wrote:

Good, that's one down.

I fixed this problem a different way since this solution also did not work for me. In my case it was caused by a specific broken Gaming profile (under the Gaming tab with the list of profiles). I believe the software populates from certain registry entries and it will aggressively scan for those programs after boot.

What I found had happened : I had moved a game folder off-disk to my storage drive, without uninstalling it. This caused Radeonsoftware.exe to scan non-stop for the game (about 3000 times per second, ~10% of CPU, 70% of all system activity). Deleting the profile and terminating / restarting Radeonsoftware.exe will temporarily resolve the problem, but it will recreate the profile from the registry entries after reboot. I've had a month of this without even realising (facepalm).

I presume you're a gamer from the 580? This may give you an angle to test (the software will also profile other programs, it has my browser for instance). I did my testing with Process Monitor, which might help you even if this isn't the solution for you.

Same here, still from 20.5.1 I have high CPU usage 10-20% and "compatibilities" in Radeon don't showing what GPU and CPU Im running on. 20.4.2 are last working drivers for me without this issue. Did you fix it somehow? I don't know how to it.

0 Likes

Make sure you are all reporting this to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

A couple things that have cause high utilization and have helped in the past, but I can't say are issues this time around:

Disable AMD overlay or other overlay that conflicts with AMD. Like the Windows Game Settings, game bar, dvr etc....

Disable the Auto Driver Update feature.

Disable the information sharing with AMD & the showing of adds in Radeon settings. Not sure where this is done anymore.

Reset game profiles. 

Re-Install the driver with factory reset option if none of that helps. 

use the power saver plan which will tone down your cpu

this will also tone down the video card use

0 Likes

Sorry but this solution is a bit strange, It s a shame to ask to your computer to tone down because everything is link to AMD drivers which do what it wants...

I have no issues I will finish by doing that... But that s a shame after so many drivers version to see these bugs which exist from a long time

0 Likes

mr2ben wrote:

Sorry but this solution is a bit strange, It s a shame to ask to your computer to tone down because everything is link to AMD drivers which do what it wants...

I have no issues I will finish by doing that... But that s a shame after so many drivers version to see these bugs which exist from a long time

I use power saver and it does not have any adverse effects on my rig other than it reduces power wastage

0 Likes