cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

MDUtsho
Journeyman III

High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

Ever since AMD released 20.5.x drivers, i'm facing high cpu usage, because of that i didn't even update my gpu driver for months 
Now cyberpunk is out, and they released a driver for cyberpunk, i wanted to use that but still same problem, i can't figure it out that what's the problem
I also tried some fixes from youtube but nothing is working, 
It's not playable when radeon software is using 30% of the CPU all the time, even when i'm idle 

but everything is fine when i'm using older drivers (20.4.x for example) 

Can this be a windows issue or something? Im running windows 10 pro 1909 build, 
And the cpu is i5 6400, & rx 590 8GBRadeon software high cpu usage.png

0 Likes
10 Replies
bife19
Adept I

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

do you have instant replay, instant gif or in-game replay enabled? could be that

0 Likes
MDUtsho
Journeyman III

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

All of them are turned off 

I make sure of that 

Turning those on and off, but still no use 

Any other solution?

0 Likes
bife19
Adept I

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

i have no idea then m8 sorry

0 Likes
jovechiere
Adept I

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

I read all the normal tips, reinstall drivers, DDU, "Radeon ReLive" folder in videos, etc... nothing worked.

But I found a video that explained that Radeon was looking for games that were badly uninstalled and so it was, the free days of "The Division 2", uninstalled and fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR1wOaZ2iVQ

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?


@MDUtsho wrote:

Ever since AMD released 20.5.x drivers, i'm facing high cpu usage, because of that i didn't even update my gpu driver for months 
Now cyberpunk is out, and they released a driver for cyberpunk, i wanted to use that but still same problem, i can't figure it out that what's the problem
I also tried some fixes from youtube but nothing is working, 
It's not playable when radeon software is using 30% of the CPU all the time, even when i'm idle 

but everything is fine when i'm using older drivers (20.4.x for example) 

Can this be a windows issue or something? Im running windows 10 pro 1909 build, 
And the cpu is i5 6400, & rx 590 8GBRadeon software high cpu usage.png


The VERY FIRST thing I have everyone do to troubleshoot any issue like this is to UPDATE EVERYTHING.

I'd start with your Windows 10 because the 1909 update is outdated and there are many things in the later updates you need for gaming stability. 

Next, make sure you are on your latest BIOS version for your motherboard, this is CRUCIAL.

Then go to Intel.com and also make sure you are using the latest chipset drivers and that all other Intel drivers are updated.

When you're done with all that I want you to download the latest graphics drivers, run the install and select "Factory Reset" upon installation so it does it from scratch. 

Let me know what happens after.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

I hit similar problem with Adrenalin 2020 Drivers earlier this year: 

See: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/adrenalin-2020-20-7-2-high-cpu-useage-on-ryzen-2700x-8...

You can try Adrenalin 20.12.1 Factory Reset install and see if that fixes it. 
But I would do this: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238#M13454...

I am currently running Adrenalin 20.12.1 on Windows 10 Pro 2004 with latest updates. 
I am avoiding Windows 10 Pro 20H2 for as long as possible, since Microsoft wait to release the updated OS before they test it on people as it saves them money.

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?


@colesdav wrote:

I hit similar problem with Adrenalin 2020 Drivers earlier this year: 

See: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/adrenalin-2020-20-7-2-high-cpu-useage-on-ryzen-2700x-8...

You can try Adrenalin 20.12.1 Factory Reset install and see if that fixes it. 
But I would do this: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238#M13454...

I am currently running Adrenalin 20.12.1 on Windows 10 Pro 2004 with latest updates. 
I am avoiding Windows 10 Pro 20H2 for as long as possible, since Microsoft wait to release the updated OS before they test it on people as it saves them money.


Hey colesdav! Good to see you again!

Just for the sake of extra knowledge I want you to know I am on 20H2 and have been very stable so far. I'm on the latest drivers as well and I did a "Factory Reset" install as always.

Ryzen 5 3600 | ASRock x570 Pro4m | Corsair 3200MHz 16GB RGB Kit | XFX RX5700 | W10 20H2 | Latest BIOS for Mobo | Latest AMD Chipset Driver

I'm so updated all I got today was a Windows Security definitions update 😞 how boring! lol jk

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?

Thanks. 

I might move to 20H2 in the new year. 

Do you have a copy of BF4? 

Any chance you can see if your PC is stable for 2 hours of gaming without having a WHEA error and PC Reboot? 
Your PC specs: Ryzen 5 3600 | ASRock x570 Pro4m | Corsair 3200MHz 16GB RGB Kit | XFX RX5700 | W10 20H2 | Latest BIOS for Mobo | Latest AMD Chipset Driver  
are very close to one users PC complaining about that problem in this thread: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/whea-18-again-i-m-done/m-p/430522#M35418

I am unable to repeat the problem on Ryzen 2700X and X470 and RX5700XT 
or on 
Ryzen 5 3600 and MSI Tomahawk B450 Motherboard with an RTX2080 (not fitted an RX5700XT to that machine). 

If you do have a copy of BF4 and you could test it that would be great. 
Thanks. 







0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Re: High CPU usage on latest AMD drivers?


@colesdav wrote:

Thanks. 

I might move to 20H2 in the new year. 

Do you have a copy of BF4? 

Any chance you can see if your PC is stable for 2 hours of gaming without having a WHEA error and PC Reboot? 
Your PC specs: Ryzen 5 3600 | ASRock x570 Pro4m | Corsair 3200MHz 16GB RGB Kit | XFX RX5700 | W10 20H2 | Latest BIOS for Mobo | Latest AMD Chipset Driver  
are very close to one users PC complaining about that problem in this thread: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/whea-18-again-i-m-done/m-p/430522#M35418

I am unable to repeat the problem on Ryzen 2700X and X470 and RX5700XT 
or on 
Ryzen 5 3600 and MSI Tomahawk B450 Motherboard with an RTX2080 (not fitted an RX5700XT to that machine). 

If you do have a copy of BF4 and you could test it that would be great. 
Thanks. 








Yes absolutely, it's my favorite game actually. I will test that out this weekend and get back to you. Do I just need to have it running? Like I can enter into the "Test Range" and just sit there haha.

0 Likes