Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kelleycook
Adept I

Help! Dual Graphics on A10-7870K + R7 250

Jump to solution

* Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3HP motherboard.

* A10-7870K (stock cooler, not overclocked)

* MSI R7 250 2GB DDR3 card, (Default 1000 Mhz GPU, 800Mhz Memory)

* 16GB Corsair 2400Mhz DDR3 memory using the XMP profile, BIOS show 2400Mhz, Raedon info shows 1200Mhz Memory speed

* Crimson 16.5.1 drivers

* Windows 10.1 Fast Ring (Build 14332)

The system has been running for a while, but the MSI card is newly installed.

The first three items all explictly mention that they are Dual Graphics Capable. The mobo manual mentions setting the Gfx to NorthBridge primary (that's the MSI card) and IGP to forced with a framebuffer of least 512MB.  And then to enable it via the old Catalyst Crossfire checkbox.

I have tried all sorts of combinations and (512MB v 2GB, switching primary video, moving HDMI cables, four different versions of the Raedon driver including a pre-Crimson version from a year ago), but I never see a way to enable crossfire or Dual Graphics. Furthermore, the Raedon information page always mentions that one of my two GPUs are disabled (depending on which one the HDMI cable plugged into)

Can someone help me and get this working before I send back the currently pointless MSI card?  I can post anything you need.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help! Dual Graphics on A10-7870K + R7 250

Jump to solution

Please refer to this thread. Does your MSI R7 250 have 512 shaders? If so, it's based off the Cape Verde GPU and not compatible with Dual Graphics.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I'm currently investigating reports of the option to enable/disable Dual Graphics missing from Additional Settings, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please can you attach your DXDIAG.TXT report to your post?

0 Kudos
kelleycook
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks AMDMatt,

Here is a copy of dxdiag.txt

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Has this ever worked correctly or has this been broken since you got the system?

kelleycook
Adept I

Jump to solution

Its an upgrade.

The A10-7870K APU system has been working fine since I installed it.  It has playable but not great framerates on Battlefront.

On Friday I bought the MSI R7 250 card for the dual graphics.  Depending on where I plug the HDMI cable, I can run 3D games either off the discrete card or APU but they have never paired.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

According to the Motherboard documentation, "For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 socket."

cid:image003.png@01D1AABB.3D929D40

Can you confirm which memory slots you are using?

kelleycook
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yes I have confirmed that the two DIMMs are in DDR3-1 and DDR3-2

IMG_20160510_212325.jpg

Furthermore CPU-Z says they are running in Dual mode at ~1200Mhz

Clipboard01.png

Thanks for the continued help.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Please refer to this thread. Does your MSI R7 250 have 512 shaders? If so, it's based off the Cape Verde GPU and not compatible with Dual Graphics.

View solution in original post

kelleycook
Adept I

Jump to solution

Matt, I'll check tonight since I apparently bought the same card on sale for $40 last week from Newegg that they did.

According to this AMD page ( http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r7#2 ) the R7 250 has 512 shaders.  I think the table on that webpage may have a had some columns pasted in wrong though; in which case I ask that someone update it.

Also annoyingly, before purchasing I found that this same named MSI R7 250 DDR3 OC card featured in a review which was explicitly touting the inexpensive framerate boosting benefits of Dual Graphics -- Radeon Dual Graphics Performance with Kaveri and R7 250  I do now see that they mention that the card they tested had 384 shaders.

Thanks for your help but GRRRRRR on both MSI and AMD marketers (really AMD who thought it was a good idea to bring back surplus previous gen chips and rebrand them as R7 250X )

I'll mark it answered after confirming this.

kelleycook
Adept I

Jump to solution

bad MSI card.gif

Thanks for the help Matt.

A nasty gram is going to the MSI folks...