cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

reazzi
Journeyman III

Help Configuring Switchable Graphics To Use The High Performance GPU - R9 M385X 17.12.1

Hey guys, PLEASE help me!

So I've had this problem for ages now, and with this new driver: 17.12.1 (AMD website detected this is the newest driver for me) still cant get it to work.

So my problem is: I have 2 videocards: R9 M385X (the normal video card) and R7 (the integrated video card)

And it says the R7 (obviously a lot weaker than R9) is my primary video card and I just can't find an option to change it to R9.

And in graphics options, if i choose from High Performance it still chooses the R7 one.

Please tell me how can I change it to R9, so my games can run properly.

Thanks in advance!

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
10 Replies

Please post your laptop Make & Model plus the required AMD Forum information from here: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Then follow this instructions from AMD Forum about Switchable Graphics in a laptop: How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

and how to download the latest correct driver from AMD Support for your APU: Laptop graphics update...How to

Best advice is to download all your drivers for your specific laptop through the Laptop's manufacturer's Support site.

Okay, I'm sorry. And sorry if I'm being stupid, here are some specs:

My system:

AMD Graphics Card - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 M385X

- AMD Radeon R7 (Integrated)

Desktop or Laptop System - DESKTOP-9DBN7I9 (Lenovo 80NY) (I'm not sure this is what I'm supposed to write here)

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 (build 16299), 64-bit

Driver version installed - 17.1.1 (I've tried a lot, maybe this is not the right one)

Motherboard + Bios Revision - Lenovo CECN48WW, 2016.08.25.

CPU/APU - AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G

RAM - 8.0 GB

(I've skipped the 'Display Devices', 'Power Supply Unit', cause I couldn't find em, and I'm not sure I wrote the correct thing to the BIOS point.)

I've done the How to configure the Switchable thing, but I think it didn't work. There was this link, I tried: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-017.aspx

Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System

My problem was the last part, cause:

amd1.jpg

It looks like there are two R7's, which is not true. But in the drivers (I've tried I think 3 versions), it saw my R9, but it was always secondary.

But okay, first things first I should make sure the correct driver is downloaded, so I followed the 3rd link you sent, is this correct? Please tell me if I f*cked up something.

pastedImage_12.png

My problem is I have R385X, but i couldn't find that, cause these are the options:

pastedImage_13.png

So this is the right driver for me right? If not please tell me, if yes I'm gonna remove the current ones and update the one it suggested. (Which is the 18.2.1 if I'm correct).

pastedImage_14.png

Thanks a lot and thanks for your time!

0 Likes

You need to read the post again........

Laptop graphics update...How to

Didn't see that he had the APU listed. I went by the model number from Lenovo. Good thing you saw my error. Deleted my previous post as to not confuse the OPS.

georges
Challenger

First of all Windows 10 task-manager is wrong for everyone with APU and GPU , I don't know if its microsoft's or AMD's fault

I have R6 and R5 M335 and taskbar shows that I have 2 (R6) , don't care about what task-manager shows

Second , I had the same problem and I changed AMD radeon settings language from greek -> english and then it left me to choose high performance

try it ... look at this amd never respond ... Switchable graphics problem/bug with 17.12.1 and 18.2.1 same with 18.2.1 WHQL

0 Likes

Unfortunately I cannot change from power-saving to high performance or from high performance to power-saving with greek language of AMD radeon settings ... 

English language solve the problem .... Its a bug ....

task-manager doesn't bother me

0 Likes

You need to report this to AMD > Email Form

matthew998
Journeyman III

Hey, I have video about it. HOW TO ENABLE AMD DUAL GRAPHICS! 100% WORKS!!! FPS BOOST!!! ULTIMATE GUIDE 2019 (AMD Adrenalin 2019)...  But OpenGL does not support dual graphics or switching. And it will not boost your fps, bcs Minecraft using CPU and little bit of GPU. If you wanna watch, i will be glad.

0 Likes

Doesn't have anything to do with the post. No need to add your find on multiple posts.

0 Likes