cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jdetnerski
Adept II

HDMI Scaling missing

I recently upgraded my system with an RX Vega 64 and have it connected to a 1080P monitor and an LG 4k TV and since doing do I've lost my HDMI scaling option. Fortunately for me there is maybe a 5% overscan so only a small area of the desktop does not show on the 4k screen but its enough to be annoying; especially when running the Flagship video card from AMD. What makes it even worse is that I've noticed other posts in these forums with the same issue and no solution from 6 months ago. SO, is there a fix for this issue or has AMD stopped caring about fixing their drivers to work with 4K screen?

0 Likes
8 Replies

I find that often when options go missing something went wrong in the driver install. I would reinstall that driver again, choose custom, not express, then choose clean install.

If this doesn't help then report the issue to AMD using the Issue Report in preferences in Radeon Settings. The more complaints they get, maybe they take it serious. They don't get your reports here. These forums are just USER TO USER.  Return to a driver you know worked.
Then try the next driver they bring out. Hopefully it works. Keep reporting it again for every driver that does not work.

Also search these forums. I know I have seen many complaints just not sure if anyone figured it out or not.

0 Likes

This article mentions a setting on the TV that helps LG tvs

How to Fix Overscan When Using Your TV as a PC Monitor - Make Tech Easier

I tried doing a clean install on the drivers 3 different times and my TV does not have the "Screen fit" option. I believe its a driver issue, more like a lack of driver issue. The last tv I had connected as a monitor had its own driver when looking at the advanced display options, this TV does not; it merely shows up as a generic PNP monitor. So, until AMD decides to put in a global HDMI scaling option I'm stuck waiting for LG to release a windows 10 driver for their TV's. I appreciate the help though.

0 Likes

Sounds like it. My different brand TVs all have different options. I find that I just set to full panel then I can usually find an option on my TV that makes it work. I absolutely get that they could still give over and under scan controls to alleviate this. I don't know why they dropped it. I know my Nvidia cards still have them.

0 Likes

I think its just a matter of the generic PNP monitor driver being used unfortunately. I've contacted LG support about this issue, who knows how it'll play out. I have a feeling they'll point the finger at ATI who'll point the finger at LG and Microsoft and so on... Around and round we go.. lol. Fortunately the overscan doesn't hurt gaming but does make closing out a maximized browser window interesting but I can live with that for the 4K gaming.

0 Likes

You are likely right about the finger pointing and it is seriously disturbing that this mentality is the NORM in our world today.

I absolutely agree with you. In theory monitors are supposed to be made to conform to the standard of that PNP model. In practice many monitor makers end up either releasing monitor drivers to fix nonconformities or to support features not in the standard. With TV's most TV makers don't seem to care that people actually use those TV's with computers. Even though many come with ports, settings and even advertise PC connectivity. They don't conform to standards and they don't offer drivers nor firmware updates to fix this. Now that's not all some do, or some do on some models, typically the expensive models. So this kinda goes back to the point of why it would be nice if AMD still offered tools that already existed and they chose to abandon, to better deal with this issue, as IMHO thinking TV manufacturers are going to support this is a pipe dream at best.

0 Likes
jdetnerski
Adept II

Just an update., The most recent driver update 18.12.2 fixed my overscaling problem. It did not put HDMI scaling in the menu options, it simply auto corrected the scaling and now everything looks great.

13thscholar
Journeyman III

I set up an account just to share the fix i found as it was driving me bananas and nobody had a fix i could get to work.

AMD APU on an LG 4k TV as well.

Due to the GPU wanting to revert to native resolution (mine was 4096X2160)  the refresh rate had set to 29.97.

so first you need to lower the resolution (1920X1080 recommenced) by right clicking the desktop and selecting the display settings and selecting in the drop down. Then  manually changing the refresh rate to 59.94 (interlaced). This is is in Display setting>advanced display settings>refresh rate.

manually select from the drop down, and voila, scale slider is back, but you shouldn't actually need it.

Hope this helps those that are googling the fix.