Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

r1nter
Adept I

HDMI Scaling issue when running programs in fullscreen

Hello,

I have my computer hooked up to a TV and I use the HDMI scaling option to get the image to fit.

Recently, when I run a program (any game/vlc etc.) in fullscreen on either of my monitors, the image flickers and resizes so that black bars appear. If I then reduce the HDMI Scaling to expand the image, it reverts and the image is cut off again. If I turn off HDMI Scaling from the start and run a program in fullscreen, the picture remains with its edges cut off.

I tried toggling and changing GPU scaling modes but this did not fix the issue

This issue started after I refreshed windows 10 due to a bug during a BIOS update.

Thanks for your help,

Intel i5-7500

RX480 Crimson 18.3.1 Driver.

MB: MSI H270M (MS-7A69) Bios Version B_50

0 Likes
1 Solution
plumboby
Miniboss

making me wonder could it be 10 still playing havoc. Are you using the windows scaling or Radeon scaling, have you adjusted your tv settings to suit your card. I have had this issue with my stepsons hes got a new tv he uses as a monitor & had scaling issue from tv input end. I found was settings in the tv, it does it everytime we reset the tv. Its a sony veon Import in NZ not bad tv but since found with this model does it regularly not the card, as previous tv auto adjusted well happened with a crapvidia card to. Making me suspect maybe a setting in your tv casuing the issue not the drivers or card. As once we adjusted the TV in his card came right on a R7 360OC 2G on 18.2.1 drivers. All my stepsons run 32inch tvs as monitors. So kinda know your situation your running.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

hmm how old are your hdmi cables what size is your PSU thinking might be an easy fix with PSU getting down on output or hdmi  cable might be stuffed sometimes AMD cards are really picky on cheap things like cables & PSUs.

0 Likes

Hey plumboby, thanks for your answer. My HDMI cable is at least four years old, I tried using a new cable but the issue persisted. My PSU is less than a year old as the card and has 650W so I would be surprised if that is the issue.

0 Likes

If your settings are not on Full Panel I would give that a try. The default is Keep Aspect I think. You might also try a setting of borderless fullscreen or vice versa if you are.  I know there have been some issues in recent drivers. Since you didn't say whether or not it worked for you or not before, and now doesn't after some kind of change? If this is something that only happened after recent driver update then roll back to the old drivers and see if it clears up. There is also a new driver out to try 18.3.2. I'd try the new one then revert back to a driver that did work if this doesn't help.

In the even you are running a problem cable or are going over 15 feet. i would always recommend a top quality cable. This site explains why pretty well:

HDMI Cable Overview -- Blue Jeans Cable

plumboby
Miniboss

making me wonder could it be 10 still playing havoc. Are you using the windows scaling or Radeon scaling, have you adjusted your tv settings to suit your card. I have had this issue with my stepsons hes got a new tv he uses as a monitor & had scaling issue from tv input end. I found was settings in the tv, it does it everytime we reset the tv. Its a sony veon Import in NZ not bad tv but since found with this model does it regularly not the card, as previous tv auto adjusted well happened with a crapvidia card to. Making me suspect maybe a setting in your tv casuing the issue not the drivers or card. As once we adjusted the TV in his card came right on a R7 360OC 2G on 18.2.1 drivers. All my stepsons run 32inch tvs as monitors. So kinda know your situation your running.

I also suspect that it may be windows 10 related since the issue started after I refreshed the system. But I haven't found any options that changed anything. Neither did I find anything with the TV. I'll probably sit down during the weekend and play around with the settings of windows/tv + drivers and see if I can make any progress.

EDIT: I found some previous TV settings for picture and by changing those I seem to have fixed the issue. Thanks for you tips :-)

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

sweet cool to help just tips & tricks i have learnt over the years sharing. Its the common sense easy thing like this that usually are the main issues. As well have dealt with this issue on my stepsons new TV he uses as a monitor. His other LCD screen blew apart so replaced iit & his new 1 had a lot more features settings that we had to learn to sort it happy to help. Happy you listened & gave it a try.

0 Likes