Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: HDMI Scaling / 30FPS

Please can you provide all of the following important information and i'll see if i can help you with your issue.

https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

Hello AMDMatt and thanks for the reply.

Here is the requested debug information, should be extremely easy for any AMD technician to replicate this bug. 

Debug Information:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Radeon VII - 5700 Range
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Any desktop, Any Laptop DDR3 - DDR4
  • Operating System
    • Any OS Windows 7/8/8.1/10 32bit or 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Every driver version for the VII and 5700 range has this issue, even the 20.1.1
  • Display Devices
    • Any 1080 TV connected with either Displayport or HDMI
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Any DDR3/DDR4 motherboard / Any BIOS version
  • CPU/APU
    • Any socket CPU range for DDR3/DDR4 systems
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Any PSU
  • RAM
    • Any amount of DDR3/DDR4 RAM

Describe your issue:

• Its simple, just connect any 1080TV with either a Displayport or HDMI cable to a VII or 5700
  • Go to the driver GUI 'Display' settings and move the 'HDMI Scaling' slider to 1% for testing.
  • You will now be capped to 30FPS desktop or games, its locked to 30FPS
  • If you still don't understand the issue, then I'll explain, it should not cap the FPS to 30 when you use the HDMI Scaling, the TV is 60hz so it should be 60FPS, not 30FPS.
0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please provide your specific details, this is needed so i can gather feedback from driver engineering.What you have provided so far is not helpful unfortunately. 

I will need the TV make and model and the DP-HDMI adaptor you are using make and model details in particular. 

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The TV's are Philips 1080 60hz 42inch I cant see the model number?

I even tested the unit at a friends with a Samsung 1080 60hz 50inch, same result.

I tested the unit with an old Sony 60hz 24inch TV, same result.

I have used a 24c gold HDMI to HDMI and a 24c gold Displayport to HDMI, both cost around 30quid, I cant see the make of the cables either, there good quality.

How is that not helpful? I keep saying its the driver and not any particular TV model. I have provided a full debug of the issue, no point in even saying Ive used Philips, Samsung Sony what ever when I keep stating any 1080 TV.

Infact I'm sure you don't even need a TV to bug this out, any monitor which activates HDMI Scaling will cap to 30FPS.

So if you using a monitor, and you can see the HDMI Scaling, then move it to 1%

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have a 1920x1080 panel with HDMI and I have tested it with various cards and I have not had issues.

so this tells me televisions are not presenting EDID information properly to the video card to setup timing efficiently etc.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed I agree, the issues persists across all TV's so it must be a slight bug in the EDID list.

Also why has someone downvoted you? That's not very nice, whoever did that, shame on you.

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

We installed the new 20.1.2 driver and the issue still persists.

AMD all that is required is that you edit the HDMI Scaling values from 30hz to 60hz.

Infact why don't you just remove the 30hz option for TV's, its obviously causing an issue so just remove 30hz.

8K TV's are round the corner so fix this with all due respect. 

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

Update here.

Found an old thread regarding manually editing the values for the overscan but its for the 4000 series.

https://community.amd.com/thread/184967

The values have changed in the registry but if anyone has any idea if this can be updated for the newer drivers that would be brilliant. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

john007 wrote:

Update here.

Found an old thread regarding manually editing the values for the overscan but its for the 4000 series.

https://community.amd.com/thread/184967

The values have changed in the registry but if anyone has any idea if this can be updated for the newer drivers that would be brilliant. 

It has been a long time that Radeon cards were slow refresh when used with a television. The W7100 has been popular with larger display mash ups where trading desks needs a lot of information. A bank of 4K panels can be handled with all of the W7109 DP ports.

0 Likes