Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zesshi
Adept II

HD8870M system freezes

Samsung NP880Z5E
Windows 10 2004 64bit
AMD HD8870M Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 20.9.2
After installing the driver, the system freezes, only disconnecting with the power button helps. At startup, the system freezes on a black screen in front of the welcome screen. I have to use the power button again until I enter safe mode. Next, disable the video card in the device Manager and only after the system starts. When you try to turn on the video card in normal mode, the system freezes.
As I understand it, the problem appeared after updating the components of Windows 10. The reinstallation of Windows. Going back to the original settings doesn't help. I installed different drivers: the driver from the developers of the laptop (Samsung), the driver 20.4.2. 20.4.1 (used before the update) 20.9.2 20.9.1 (relevant for my video card). Removed using amd cleanup and display driver Uninstaller

0 Likes
47 Replies

For the latest AMD Driver to work correctly Windows must be fully updated via Windows Update.

Also your Intel Drivers, especially the Intel Graphics and CHIPSET drivers must be the latest version for AMD Driver to work correctly.

If your Samsung Laptop doesn't have software to update all of your Intel Drivers then try using Intel's own Driver updater or see if Samsung Support has a newer version of Intel Graphics and CHIPSET Drivers for your laptop.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed on your laptop. That helps make AMD drivers more compatible with your laptop and Windows.

If all of the above is done with the laptop still freezing, it is either due that your laptop is not compatible with Windows 10 (since it originally came with Windows 8 OS installed) or you have a defective GPU card. See if Samsung has a Diagnostic Webpage for your laptop. If it does, run it and see if it sees anything wrong with either your hardware or software installed.

EDIT: As a last resort, restore your laptop back to the way it came from the factory with Windows 8 and see if the issue continues. If it doesn't that indicates something in Windows 10 is not compatible with your laptop.

0 Likes

While I try to install an earlier build of windows. There don't seem to be any newer drivers, but I'll take a closer look. I changed the video chip, I thought it was a problem. Then write

0 Likes

By any chance, did you contact Samsung Support to see if the Video chip you changed is supported by your Laptop?

0 Likes

The problem was before replacing the chip, the chip was changed thinking that it was the reason. The chip itself is exactly the same and as it turned out the previous one was working. Windows early build installed did not help.

0 Likes

You may need to install windows fresh

0 Likes

Can I tell you more about what you mean

0 Likes

backup any files you want to save, secondary disk is best bet

use a usb stick and the windows 10 media creation tool to make a new boot stick

0 Likes

Just search Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. 

This will link you to the Microsoft Site. 

You will download the creation tool. 

Run it and you will need an 8gb or bigger USB thumb/flash drive or a Dual Layer DVD.

The tool will make your choice on that a bootable drive or disk. 

You restart the computer from that device and Re-Install Windows 10.

Since you have had Windows 10 on their already there is already a digital license associated with the computer.

If it asks for a key just skip it and Windows should activate itself again after loading Windows 10 again. 

0 Likes

I made a bootable flash drive, downloading the image from the Microsoft site did not help, the problem remained. Put today a new driver 20.10.1, did not help.

zesshi wrote:

I made a bootable flash drive, downloading the image from the Microsoft site did not help, the problem remained. Put today a new driver 20.10.1, did not help.

probably time to reset windows...

0 Likes

I believe the OP reset Windows yesterday and said it did not help the problem. 

pokester wrote:

I believe the OP reset Windows yesterday and said it did not help the problem. 

If reset and updates are not working, it may be time to retire the machine.

The Samsung NP880Z5E is several years old now. The machine is not all that bad but they are not the most durable I have seen.

0 Likes

It remains only to drop on windows 8 or windows 7 and check. That's all I know

0 Likes

new AMD based laptops are not expensive and they offer excellent bang for the buck

0 Likes

Today put 8. drivers are put but after reboot the system also freezes on a black screen. There are other things like the HD Intel control panel doesn't start. The brightness disappears but if you turn off the power from the network, the brightness is restored, you can also turn on or off the AMD video adapter without problems. but when running on battery with the adapter turned on, it also freezes on Windows startup. But the brightness does not decrease

0 Likes

zesshi wrote:

Today put 8. drivers are put but after reboot the system also freezes on a black screen. There are other things like the HD Intel control panel doesn't start. The brightness disappears but if you turn off the power from the network, the brightness is restored, you can also turn on or off the AMD video adapter without problems. but when running on battery with the adapter turned on, it also freezes on Windows startup. But the brightness does not decrease

I have not used Windows 8 for a very long time

0 Likes

Just as I am. I haven't had a problem with Windows 10 for a long time. But the last update changed everything

0 Likes

try windows 10 20h2

0 Likes

I had Windows 10 2004 on it and started having problems after the security update. 20h2 when was it released?

0 Likes

2 days ago. It is the new fall release of Windows but is just a feature update. It changes very little an nothing fundamental under the hood. I installs very fast, as it is not full OS replacement like most earlier releases. This was announced earlier in the year that MS will be doing a big upgrade in spring and a small feature update in the fall moving forward. I would find if very unlikely that if Windows 2004 is causing any issues that 20h2 will make much of a difference.

Installing 20h2 didn't help me. Today I turned off the Intel HD video card and turned on Radeon there was an infinite loading immediately after loading the BIOS. Can someone tell me what is responsible for connecting video cards and selecting them by the system? This is some kind of chipset or other device, maybe I have problems with this. As far as I know on a PC, this role is performed by the port itself where the video card is inserted, and it seems that there is even a driver for this thing. It seems to me that I have 2 video cards connected to 1 port which does not understand how it works

0 Likes

Sorry not completely getting a mental picture here of what you are saying. 

How exactly are you connecting? More that on monitor to one port? Do you have a picture you could snap and send to clarify?

Unfortunately, I can't take any screenshots, because these are just my thoughts. I'll try to explain it more clearly. I was interested in the moment when I installed the video driver for AMD. When the driver was installed, it disabled the Intel video card. I saw this as a conflict between two video cards. One interfered with the other. After the reboot, Windows itself disabled the AMD video card (the error is something like this: Windows stopped this device because it reported a problem. (Code 43)), and 2 video cards were disabled. Why did AMD disable Intel? I do not know how it works, perhaps the work of two video cards should be controlled by another device, like some PCI controller. It's like two video cards are in the Elevator and can't get out of it because they don't know which floor to get out on, and the dispatcher has to give them the floor number

0 Likes

That is odd behavior. To my knowledge nothing in the AMD driver would disable any other hardware. A drive can only control the hardware it is installed for. 

You can certainly run this issue past AMD support: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

My gut tells me this issue is something other than an AMD driver I just don't have an idea on what the issue is without understanding better what you are doing. If you could take a little video of the setup and the the error happening with your phone or even pictures it may help a lot. You don't need computer screen shots just a pic with your phone is fine. 

I've done so much that it's hard for me to repeat and write it down. And fatigue takes its toll. If I repeat something like that, I'll try to write it down.

0 Likes

I am just trying to understand how your monitors are hooked up, what errors you have and what device manager shows.  3 simple pics if you have a camera. 

0 Likes

If you need clarification on the screenshot, ask. Or some specific places you need.
Explanation: AMD-code 22 is because it is disabled
Intel-the Device is working normallyНовый точечный рисунок.bmp

0 Likes

On the left is shows as disabled for the AMD graphics but not the Intel Graphics.

I would run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com from safe mode. 

Then with the internet disabled install the Intel driver again.

Then install the AMD driver again. 

--------------

If that doesn't work all I can suggest is try reseting the laptop from the recovery partition and that should put it back the way it was from the factory. 

If it still has an issue at that point it has to be some hardware failure. 

Which is pretty much what elstaci‌ also suggested previously/ 

I disabled it manually, because of system freezes and endless downloads with a black screen. I used DDU. It may be a problem for me to diagnose a failure. If you go to the service center there may not understand, but just say that you need a new motherboard, and ask for a lot of money for it. What happened to the video chip. I did, I had it replaced, but it didn't fix the problem.

0 Likes

I noticed another point in safe mode in the device Manager, if you go to the properties of the AMD adapter and go to the resources tab there, it says this: the Device does not use resources. There may be errors in its operation. This is not the case with Intel

0 Likes

20.10.1 recently surfaced

install it using the clean install which should eliminate some driver problems

0 Likes

In the answer below, I wrote information about drivers and BIOS. Waiting for the moderator. 20.10.1 I have already installed

0 Likes

zesshi wrote:

In the answer below, I wrote information about drivers and BIOS. Waiting for the moderator. 20.10.1 I have already installed

Given the age of that machine I do not believe a new BIOS will surface

0 Likes

To clear things up, by Intel Video card you are talking about your Intel APU Integrated Graphics correct?

If that is the case, AMD should not interfere with the Intel APU Graphic driver or GPU.

In fact, the AMD Driver works with the Intel APU Graphics. There should not be any conflict at all. The AMD driver shouldn't uninstall the Intel Driver or disable the Intel Graphics and vice versa.

Are you able to enter BIOS on your laptop?

Check to see if you have either the AMD or Intel GPU disabled in BIOS if possible. Check all the BIOS settings for your Graphics for your laptop.

What version of Intel Graphics driver you have installed or are installing?

What version of AMD Graphics to have installed or are trying to install?

What does Device Manager show after you install the AMD Driver?  Yellow exclamation or error message for either the Intel or AMD GPU?

I would make sure you are installing your laptop's AMD and Intel drivers (no matter how old they are)  from your Support download page until you get your laptop working normally again. Then later on you can try installing AMD generic laptop drivers.

It is possible your AMD GPU is defective or your laptop's motherboard is defective.  Best way to find out is by using your laptop's Restore disc to restore your laptop back to the way you bought it from the factory.

Once it is restored to factory defaults and you still have the same problems that is a good indication you have a defective hardware in your laptop.  If everything starts working normally than it is some driver or OS that is not compatible with your laptop.

But the Restore disc  should be as a last resort if all other troubleshooting fails.

I have already installed different drivers and original ones from the manufacturer's program. new ones, the ones that worked initially.
Now the latest AMD driver 20.10.1 is installed, I tried raspberry (I don't remember the version).) Tried 2.4.2, 2.4.1, 2.9.2, 2.9.1. Intel Driver: installed the same from the manufacturer's application for my model, now installed the latest current from the Intel site( ver. 15.33.51.5146). I installed Windows 8 with it and a laptop was supplied. While I was on Windows 8, I installed new drivers and drivers from the developers ' app. The result is always the same but in different ways sometimes the driver was installed but after there was an endless start and a black screen. Often it just freezes while trying to install the driver.
Now if you try to turn on the AMD video card, the device Manager freezes, although the system itself works, but if you try to turn it off or restart, there is an endless shutdown\reboot.

Yes the integrated Intel HD 4000
In the BIOS, I have no items that allow you to adjust the graphics.
The device Manager used to have an exclamation mark on Intel (code43) but reinstalled the driver and so far everything is fine. When I installed the AMD driver after a reboot and it had an exclamation mark (code43) now Intel does not show any problems. AMD is disabled, if you turn on the system will hang but in safe mode in the device Manager as there are no errors.

The only thing I haven't tried is Windows 7.
the manufacturer's app has support for Windows 10 and I switched to it officially. But after the update, there was such a problem, there is such information on the Microsoft website(can this somehow be related to AMD problems?):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4579311/windows-10-update-kb4579311 

Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, see CVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. After you install this update, attempts to start virtual machines (VM) that have RemoteFX vGPU enabled will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:

• “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
  • “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”

If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:

• "We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become vulnerable to security risk. Learn more (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2131976)”
0 Likes

if you want to run virtual machines you should get a desktop machine with lots of RAM installed

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

AMD just release the new version of AMD software 20.10.1. Please try to install this version. It may help fix it.

mickeekung wrote:

AMD just release the new version of AMD software 20.10.1. Please try to install this version. It may help fix it.

I am downloading that myself right now

0 Likes

The driver got up through safe mode but not Radeon settings. I tried using normal mode and got an error 207. Probably because of the disabled video adapter in the device Manager. I turn it on, the device Manager freezes.

0 Likes