Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

HD7970 not working after 17.4.3 update

Hello, my video card is no longer working after updating to 17.4.3 version of Catalyst driver suite.

Here are the specifics of my system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • 3072MB ATI AMD HD 7970 Series (Gigabyte)
  • OS
    • Windows 7 64bit
  • Desktop
  • Driver version installed:
    • Radeon Crimson ReLive 17.4.3
  • Display Devices:
    • HP 2010 (1600x900@60Hz) connected directly to video card (DVI-I)
  • Motherboard
    • Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77X-UD5H
  • CPU
    • Intel Core i5-3570K
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Seasonic 650W Gold
  • RAM
    • 8GB

I've been using this video card for about 4 years now and didn't have any issues with it until this update. After this update, the card is detected (by Radeon Settings, Windows System Information and Speccy) but any games I launch give me error messages along the line of "Failed to initialize graphics device" or "Unable to initialize video card".

So far I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers with clean uninstall. Did this multiple times in regular and safe mode, used additional software to clean up the system before reinstalling (by using amd clean uninstall utility and DDU). I've verified my system in DirectX and used sfc /scannow to make sure.  I've disabled integrated graphics in BIOS and it is clearly not dead, but just unable to be used by games. Out of ideas what else I can try, please advise.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: HD7970 not working after 17.4.3 update

Revert back to 17.3.x. I have exactly the same problem as yours.

Link to my thread -> Windows 10 Creators Update/R9 390/17.4.x troubles.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thank you for mentioning 17.3.x version of the drivers.

Doing a clean install of the old drivers did solve the issue for now, but doesn't really solve the issue of these new "WHQL" drivers being unusable by supported video cards.

I usually wait for non-beta releases to avoid this sort of situation, but I suppose older hardware is more likely to be overlooked.

Hopefully AMD takes note of these threads and solves the issues in later releases or at least marks the drivers incompatible with older cards to save other users the grief.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you not see this,

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I did read the release notes, but all the way past the "highlights" section. Here are the supported desktop cards:

image3.png

It clearly says that older cards are compatible with this software, but unfortunately it does not appear to be the case.

Highlighted

And? I always selecting exactly card and system I have (didn't know why) -  HD Radeon 7950 or other GCN, Windows 7 64 site give me simple link to all supported cards and selected OS http://support.amd.com/ru-ru/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064
So, it must be 'right' compatible driver for card what I selected, for example 17.3.3. Not user mistake, but buggy driver and web page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

My English is not so good, Sorry about that

HD7970 17.4.2 same problem can not working, too.

17.4.2 and 17.4.3 driver updating complete, no error and exclamation mark ,but media center and other online game can`t working 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

The only fix is installing 17.3.3 driver as suggested by archilion2@gmail.com

Steps posted from the other thread: https://community.amd.com/message/2793325#comment-2793325

andrey1p wrote:

1) Download the latest Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.6.3

Unzip in a prominent place, run and follow the instructions.

Link to DDU - http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17063-released

2) Downloading Crimson ReLive Edition 17.3.3

Installation should be done after removing the old drivers!

Link - https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.3.3-Releas...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I have the same issue on my XFX 280x 3GB. It's my third RMA replacement and this latest driver seems to have killed my card. My secondary monitor now has flashing artifact like scan lines that work their way up the screen whenever I move my mouse. Tried rolling back clean to multiple drivers through the Radeon Installer with no success. I'm getting Error 182. Installer cannot properly detect AMD graphics card. Running DDU and restarting in a moment. I love AMD's position and cause but I shouldn't have to go through all of this trouble to get my card to work properly. I have to disable all hw acceleration available just to be able to use the card for more than 5 minutes. Otherwise I get full on horizontal display artifacts on both screens and am forced to restart. I can't use windows apps because of this. Kinda feeling burned after 4 years of issues...

0 Kudos