Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kris00l
Journeyman III

HD 6670 and R7 250 driver support

Hello, 

I have installed two graphics cards - HD 6670 and R7 250. If I install latest drivers for R7 250 then HD 6670 card does not work therefore monitors that are connected to it are not working. R7 250 drivers takes over HD 6670.

However, if I install HD 6670 drivers 15.201.xxx or 15.301.xxx , R7 250 video card causes crash.

Is there a solution to make each of them work with there own individual supported versions?

Thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies

Is this a laptop? Is this a APU? What processor? What OS?

First both GPU cards are legacy and not supported by AMD driver updates.

The last Driver update for the R7 250 is from 06/21/2021 while the last driver update for the HD6670 is from 2015 & 2016.

Release Notes for GPU compatibility for the R7 250: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-5-2

Screenshot 2021-09-21 175910.png

So the latest AMD Driver for the R7 250 is incompatible with the HD6670 GPU card that is why the HD6670 doesn't work with the R7 250 driver.

Here is the Release Notes for the last newest AMD Driver (2016) for the HD6670: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-non-gcn-16-2-1-beta

Screenshot 2021-09-21 175910.png

As you notice there is not R7 250 mentioned which means this driver isn't compatible with the R7 250.

So you have a choice, Use the R7 250 by itself or use the HD6670 by itself. You can't use both in the same computer.

NOTE: The R7 250 is a rebrand of the HD8670 OEM GPU Card.

0 Likes

Thank you! I have reviewed those. 

Drivers should be targeted to individual HW and NOT based on manufacturer.

Are there no work arounds to tag the drivers to each HW?

Thanks

0 Likes

No, All of the OEM GPU cards are based on the same AMD GPU Chips so it doesn't matter who manufacturers the GPU card the drivers will be the same for all of the same type of GPU cards.

The R7 and the HD AMD drivers are basically in conflict with each other and won't work together in the same computer.

The HD6670 technology is very different (Older) then the R7 technology so it requires different drivers to work.

0 Likes

wouldn't this statement be incorrect - "based on the same AMD GPU Chips". Obviously chips are different hence newer drivers are required.

Isn't device mgmt is based on deviceid and appropriate drivers to manage them. Otherwise based on your theory none of the USB devices will work. 

I can agree that AMD may not be handling device mgmt appropriately.  This sucks.

to answer other questions:

Edit: And what operating system - Windows 10

Edit: And how are you connected to the monitor? HDMI/DP/? - DVI/DP

Its desktop and not a laptop

I'm trying to use 4 monitors - 2 in each graphics card.

Thanks!

0 Likes

I wasn't clear when I mentioned about the GPU chips. What I meant is all R7 250's made by different Manufacturers have the same GPU chips in them thus the same driver are all compatible.

The HD6000 series GPU cards are Non-GCN Architecture while the R7 250 is a GCN 1st generation GPU card thus the drivers for each one are not compatible with each other due to different technologies of each GPU cards.

But you can fool around and try to get those two different GPUs to work at the same time.   

As an example: Laptops have that problem when the APU Integrated Graphics is Non-Supported but the Laptop's Discrete separate GPU is still supported by AMD.

So the User must install the APU old legacy driver which is also compatible with the still supported Discrete GPU card to get both working.

If the User tries to install the latest Supported driver for the Discrete GPU the laptop will show an error in Device Manager or during installation of the driver because the driver isn't compatible with the Non-Supported APU integrated Graphics.

Some Users have found workarounds to install a Legacy and Non-Legacy AMD driver in the same laptop but that is different from a PC with two separate GPU cards installed like yours.

0 Likes

Have you used the drivers supplied by Microsoft? Have you tried HDMI with a splitter.

I would like to know if you have a laptop or a APU processor.

Edit: And what operating system

Edit: And how are you connected to the monitor? HDMI/DP/?

If it's a desktop computer there should be no issue at all with the integrated graphics. What do they matter? Disable it from the bios or try device manager. Then the more powerful graphics will handle everything and you have only one driver to update.

Good questions.

is the HD6670 and R7 250 separate GPU cards or is one a Integrated Graphics (APU) as Kingfish is inquiring. 

0 Likes