Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

folgore
Adept I

having trouble with installing AMD Adrenaline driver 18.4.1

I have trouble with my laptop and thunderbolt 3 EGPU

Simply, I want to undervolting my CPU and GPU, but not work well( keep having throtling trouble) so, just roll back. then drivers cant detect my EGPU, so I was trying to re-install drivers(DDU and amd clean up), set default laptop BIOS,  flash VGA BIOS, and windows reset and install again. anyway I install windows 10 again and install all drivers what my laptop need, but VGA driver just crash. when I execute the driver installer, it is going to detect VGA and install driver, but it is crushing with BSOD(SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, atikmdag.sys) when install display driver. may it possible problem of undervolting CPU and GPU, or flash VGA BIOS, but in my test, both are normal. I know it is hard to solve, but I wish get some tips or solutions. thanks you for reading

Laptop spec

CPU - i5-8250U

RAM - 8GB

internel VGA - intel HD 620

EGPU set

- HP OMEN Accelerator GA-1-1029kl

- MSI R9 290 / DDR5 4GB / #flash lastest BIOS

Windows 10 ver.1803(build 17134.48)

before

- Rollback after undervolting CPU(XTU) and GPU(wattman), flash GPU BIOS

- reset, reinstall windows 10 after format SSD, and do update

after

- BSOD(error code : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED,  atikmdag.sys) when install VGA driver 18.4.1, 18.2.1, 17.11.4

- otherwise work well

0 Likes
1 Solution
folgore
Adept I

Yahee!!! I solve it!!!

Solution : downgrade windows and install driver, upgarade windows !

In my laptop manufacturer's website, compatibility of my laptop is RS3 and I upgraded driver before upgarde windows.

So do again. Then its work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
folgore
Adept I

ps. and something weird is when driver is going crush, mouse cursor move to center of screen. I don't know why. I wish it is help to solve.

0 Likes

Laptops are not meant to be under/over volted or clocked. Doing this may cause the laptop to go out of specs concerning power and heat and causing unknown issues.

That is why AMD deactivates AMD Wattman when it recognizes it is being installed on a laptop.

What are you using to undervolt th eGPU card? MSI Afterburner?  

thank you for your response, elstaci. Frankly I use Wattman for undervolt. Maybe eGPU is an externel VGA so, I can use Wattman and driver for Desktop

0 Likes
folgore
Adept I

Yahee!!! I solve it!!!

Solution : downgrade windows and install driver, upgarade windows !

In my laptop manufacturer's website, compatibility of my laptop is RS3 and I upgraded driver before upgarde windows.

So do again. Then its work.

0 Likes