cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

max0x7ba
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

It is clear as day that they botched the drivers for Sea Island GPUs and care not to fix it.

doothe
Elite
Elite

Re: Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

Here's a list of drivers that prevent me from overclocking because voltage adjustment's broken.

16.12.2 jan3

16.12.2 dec19

GPUZ Screenshot.jpg

AzureSky
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

confirmed, you can find this is true by checking..reddit, guru3d forums, techpowerup forums, and...well any site with an active amd gaming community....

funny how kingfish insists there are no bugs...yet....google/yahoo/bing/yandex all find the 290/390 wattman bug has been going on since 16.12.1 released...and shows no sign of being a concern for amd...

jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

kingfish is not helpful at all. He just a fan boy defending his baby.

AzureSky
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

put the 290x in an old slow system that i mostly just use for testing hardware, it will work for me to test drivers if they ever bother to fix wattman on our cards or bring all the features that CCC had to Crimson/relive..... i dont have high hopes though....i mean.. i havent used NV in well over a decade...and...though their cp looks as dated as ccc...at least ccc and nvcp both have the expected features..... not large missing feature blocks...

this is the first time since my 5770 that i even considered changing....6months without a fix, or even a "known issue" listed to warn people....i will keep testing with the 290x, but i have no real hopes they will decide to fix it for us...the ten-seventy i installed today...wow... not only is DSR far more flexible...its easy to enable per game and even set resolution for specific games....reminds me of when i was able to use CRU and down sample whatever res i wanted to configure... rather then....maxing at 3200x1800....

im upset i had to replace cards that should have held me for a few more years, that cost alot of dosh...but....it happens...i made a bad investment...i expected amd to take driver support and dev seriously since they said they plan to be on GNC for a long time to come....and...6mo....no fix or even a note saying "this can happen, you may have to revert to 16.11.5 or lower to resolve this issue"..instead....i have seen 3 people replace cards the thought where dead...sadly for amd...they went nvidia...because...it feels bad having a videocard you spent a decent amount of money on just, stop working correctly, and giving what could be mistaken for "the card is failing' signs....almost like somebody on the driver teams trying to tell us to dump our 290/390 cards and get a 480 or fury.....since....those are far from bug free, but they are current gen....thus warrent support and bug fixes....

the only upgrade i was considering pre-2nd card turning into a heat monster, and 6mo no new working driver....i was considering selling my 2 cards to a couple friends who badly need/needed upgrades....and getting vega when it lands....but...one card over heats within 10-15 min of ESO, shoots to 60 within 30sec.....hits over70 and starts artifacting within 10min..even running a -25mv 1000/1250 bios....this is on a tri-x card with 3 new fans, fresh PK-3 goop, fans at 100%...even downclocked to 850, same thing heats up and bugs out...the other card was heating up like that...but after i reflashed the bios to it, that cleared up..for whatever reason, didnt matter what bios i flashed...card just gets blazing hot and bugs out......1 still works golden though.... i will likely endup selling the good card to a friend....and the bugged one for an extra few bucks as a backup cooler/set of fans....and something to try and get working properly...after a week spending hours and hours each day trying to get it working again...trying to get CF working properly...

anyway....i sure hope they fix this...i dont want to have to tell my buddy to use gpedit to block gpu driver updates beyond 16.11.5...or tell them their only hope is using linux and playonlinux to game if they want updated drivers with bug fixes and new features...

we really need more companies in cpu and gpu market.....competition forces companies to compete on more then benchmark perf....

would love to see them actually fix the problem, or at least offer a driver for these cards that has wattman stripped out and replaced with overdrive as it was before..... if they cant fix wattman for us...they could at least give us an alternative...

i have started saving up for ryzen now that the boards/bios are starting to mature....and....well...still want a 1700....but...i guess im going to use a mixed system...for the first time in well over a decade.... bah...just..bah..

indig0f10w
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I also have problems since the last update. AMD removed the Fan speed % and now it's in RPM's. So now I have to guess what is 80% fan speed so my third fan starts since AMD drivers never turned it on automatically. No, I do not know what 80% of my fan speed is because the max RPM are not detected corrrectly, current speed also. I will revert to last working drivers. I have problems since I bought Sapphire Toxic 280x, it's not the card, it's AMD and epic software engineers. BTW the UI of Radeon settings is a disaster. Since AMD released it cannot remember position and size. Epic I tell you. How many years since initial release?

Want me to report a problem? Tried, the AMD Problem Report Wizard crashes every time.

Last AMD product I bought.

jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

It's true, wattman is a total joke. The whole GUI is slower and its certainly annoying how it never remembers the settings. I'm sure that's because it resets every time it crashes.

I solved my issues by bypassing crappy AMD software. I bought a water cooler for the r9 290 and installed MSI afterburner.

indig0f10w
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yeah, I thought of buying an aftermarket cooler but I opted against it since it costed about the 1/4 of the price I paid for the card, and that's the price for air cooler, not water! I will either sell this card for a ridiculus price like it should be sold or give it away for free. Why should I buy aftermarket cooler and have to deal with AMD "software" on a daily basis to use a plug and play product! Tell me AMD...

At least they got rid of AMD Gaming Devolved app that was causing crashes for a long time (longer than a year that crapware came bundled with drivers). That was an epic journey of AMD abandoning it's users - no support whatsoever. Having AMD product in your PC is like having a curse on you.

indig0f10w
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Delete any third party controllers you may be using...they don't work well with the new ReLive Crimson drivers.

To be honest here, ReLive Crimson drivers are not so new anymore, and to be more honest - ReLive Crimson drivers do not even work well with themselves.

"Also kingfish, I don't think its necessary to tell us to apply the settings."

That's because you have not dealt with enough people with the issue. It's the only options, that I know of, where you have to click 'apply'.

You make a valid point, about the people and about the only options where you need to click apply.

Will AMD Radeon Settings app be the victor in worst UI design contest? It has my vote...

0 Kudos
jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Clicking apply may be there to stop you from accidentally highlighting the voltage and then using your mouse wheel, causing them to go to full power and then applied immediately, permanently damaging your hardware. The apply button should stay in my humble opinion.