cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jonh86
Elite
Elite

Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

There are no target fan speed or temp controls in wattman. I'm running r290 crossfire with stock fans that reach 95 degrees. Its essential to crank up the fans or the games crash. I can get some decent performance with the fans going up to 70% but they are normally set to 40% or something ludicrous like that. Therefore the new drivers are completely worthless. 2014 was a bad year for amd drivers. Seems 2017 is getting worse. Unacceptably poor support. I doubt this would happen with Nvidia. I certainly won't be buying amd products again.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonh86
Elite
Elite

Re: Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

I think the problem is with AMD. Over the life time of this card I'd say I've had good performance on about 50% of games. Now with these new drivers I'm experiencingredients almost 100% crash to play ratio. Truly awful. I've contacted support and haven't gotten a reply. The 200 series is being abandoned. As a customer who has a r9 290 xfire setup I expected it last longer than this. I will be replacing my amd components with more reliable hardware in coming months.

View solution in original post

42 Replies
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

I have the R9 290...and I have no problems at all. Probably you are not familiar with the new controls/layout.

The control panel has been simplified..I found it strange at first, but once I understood it, I like it better.

Delete any third party controllers you may be using...they don't work well with the new ReLive Crimson drivers.

All you have to set is the Max temp (I use 80c) and the Power Limit to +50. Leave the fans at automatic and Chill off. Don't forget to click 'apply' which will appear at the top of the page.

I can play all day long with temps never exceeding 79c and highest fan speed 61% using these settings:

0 Kudos
doothe
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Here's your choices --> Stock Fan Curve, Fixed Speed, or blowing really hard through the vents on the side of your case.

0 Kudos
max0x7ba
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue with fans no going fast enough with WattMan. Had to install MSI Afterburner and set up my own fan curve, which works nicely.

jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Kingfish do you have stock fans on your gpu? I can't imagine them ever being able to keep the gpu below 80 without sounding like a jet engine.

0 Kudos
jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Also kingfish, I don't think its necessary to tell us to apply the settings.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

"Also kingfish, I don't think its necessary to tell us to apply the settings."

That's because you have not dealt with enough people with the issue. It's the only options, that I know of, where you have to click 'apply'.

I have stock fans...AMD reference card. The fan control works perfect...and it always has. People that are new to AMD settings or people who are addicted to third party tools and 'tweak' their computers constantly ..have a learning curve. You are not at the top of the curve yet. Setting the fans to come on at a specific temperature and at a specific speed using a third party tool that can conflict with Wattman's controls is the issue. My settings, using only the AMD control panel, gradually increases the fan speed as temperature rises. Gradually. There is not one game that exceeds my Max temperature setting and the fans do not have to increase to more than 60-65%. Why mess with what works.

I wish you luck with your issue.

0 Kudos
jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

When I first used these cards back in 2013 they would crash because of over heating all the time. They ran over 95 degrees and the whole system shut down. I'd also like to point out that this question is related to missing controls on wattman. If you look at the screen shots from the amd support page there is clearly a target temp and fan speed option for people with 300 and 400 series cards. Why has it been removed? Especially for cards famous for reaching temperatures that you could use to make a cup of tea.

0 Kudos
goodplay
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Have you got a link to that page saying 300 is supported ?

I can't find any with ref to them.

It has been posted by tech. staff (a number of times) that not all previous Gens.(mainly 3XX) will have all features/functions due to AIB design (mods).

Maybe if you post the exact makes/models of your cards (are they orig. vbios), someone may be able to offer assistance.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
jonh86
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

So AMD in their infinite wisdom abandoned all the previous generations of cards. These things don't happen with Nvidia and thats why owning an AMD will always feel like coming in second place. I certainly won't make that mistake twice.

0 Kudos