cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kingfish
MVP

Re: Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

Thankfully, they seemed to have abandoned only your R9-290. Some people have all the luck, huh?

0 Kudos
jonh86
Elite

Re: Have amd abandoned R200 users? There is still no target fan speed control in wattman. This means I can't update past 16.11.5, the last good driver.

Jump to solution

Kingfish do you just sit at your computer all day trolling these forums. I swear every time I post you reply less than minute later. My posts are days apart!

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Yes...I am on the troll alert squad.

goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

So there is no link to back your false comment, and you come with another bs comment.

You've been asked on two threads for sys.info (which you seem reluctant to supply).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
jonh86
Elite

Jump to solution

Goodplay, you seem a little touchy, maybe you own stock in AMD? I thought it was obvious I was running a R9 290. What other system info is needed. But seen as you asked so nicely I'd be glad to share. R9 290 x2, i5-4670, 16gb ram, win 10.

In regard to my previous BS comment, as you so eloquently put it, I assumed wrongly that the 300 series had access to all the features.

I am honestly shocked that they aren't. The excuses that they have used such as the one below don't hold any water as the previous drivers supported all these features.

Unfortunately AMD are an inferior product. Especially in regard to driver support. They have an atrocious track record. I have an nvidia powered laptop that I need to use a lot because certain games won't work on AMD cards. I have yet to see a single game that didn't run perfectly on my mobile nvidia chip, 670mx, that was within its range. There is an abyss between the two companies. They looked like they were taking themselves seriously last year. With this new group of drivers however the situation as deteriorated rapidly again.

"AMD manufactures the physical GPU chip and provides it to manufacturers like MSI, ASUS, etc. These companies design boards around the basic GPU supplied by AMD. That means they mean tweak or change some features of the the GPU. The Crimson ReLive drivers are based on a standard GPU implementation and therefore if there are customizations made by the AIB, the driver does not have access to all the features."

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

The title of the post is R200 users...where did all the 300 series come in?

The reference R9-290 came with all the fan/temperature controls now present in the ReLive Crimson drivers. This was the way AMD designed it. Non-reference cards were mixed, some had it, most brands did not. Never had one issue myself. So AMD hasn't forgotten MY R9-290. Sorry about yours.

0 Kudos
jonh86
Elite

Jump to solution

I have enjoyed the target fan and temp controls now for as long as I can remember and I noticed a performance boost. Personally I don't care if my pc is noisy. The noise the cards make was seen as a design flaw so AMD preferred to throttle their performance than crank up the fans, which are defaulted to 49%. The target temp control removed that problem entirely and I miss it. So if anyone at AMD software development reads this,

1. We want the target controls back, not excuses,

2. Many feel they have to use 3rd party software like MSI after burner,

3. It would be nice if the drivers actually worked with older games as well.

0 Kudos
doothe
Elite

Jump to solution

Correct me if I'm wrong but was MSI's R9 390 8G not the most popular card among 390 line up? Is it really excusable for AMD to overlook the most popular card in their line up and offer a "one size fits all" approach with missing functionality? That is unless you were "lucky" enough to buy a card that didn't delineate from the reference design. This lack of consideration for the most successful 390 variant says loud and clear "We are done with you, move along."

kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

I am not sure ​any​ 390 series had this function. That is a real puzzler. All my remarks are to the subject of the post, the R9 200 series.

0 Kudos
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

You still skirt around the makes/models(orig. vbios ?), of your cards.

Nope, no shares, not touchy, just don't understand why you can't supply simple details which may help with someone offering assistance.

Then perhaps Tech. staff amdmatt or @ray_m , might offer some input. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
0 Kudos